The Student Room Group

Choosing highers

Hello, I am currently choosing subjects for my highers and I have no idea what to do.

My first question is to do with maths, I just passed national 4 (embarrassing ik) but I was recommended for the national 5 NPA Personal finance unit, but I'm not sure if I should take that or national 5 applications.

I'm also conflicted on whether I should take higher english??? Is it good to have as a back up? I'm personally sick of constantly analysing poems and writing useless essays. (My class is also stuck with a terrible teacher)

Also, I have decided to definitely take Higher Politics and Sociology, but my brother advises me to at least take modern studies. Is it worth taking modern studies on top of the two or to just leave it?

(last one) I was also considering taking higher human biology since it looks really interesting, but the things holding me back are the fact that I'm really not much of a science person (currently slaving through National 5 biology with a crap teacher) and I'm terrible at doing ANY kind of maths in biology.

Could someone who took higher human biology share their experience of what it was like? Thank you! (and sorry for the rant)
(edited 1 month ago)
I recommend that you get at least nat 5 maths. Most university courses require you to have higher english so it would also be useful. it all really comes down to what you want to do after you leave school
Reply 2
It's generally recommended to take Higher Politics in S6 and only if you did Higher Modern Studies (or at least a higher in another social subject like History), so you'd probably be better off doing Modern Studies (even if it's a crash, you don't necessarily need any background knowledge from Nat 5).

You should definitely do Nat 5 Maths, that's a fairly "essential" qualification.

As for other subjects, are you taking a language (ie French, Spanish etc, not including English)? If you are and you're decent at it/plan to continue with it then I'd suggest that, even potentially with a crash in another language (I'm suggesting this as a possibility because I did Nat 5 French last year and am now in S5 doing Higher French and crash Higher Spanish and crashing Spanish has been surprisingly easy. I don't imagine it would be easy if I hadn't done French though obviously.)
Original post by Elenaa_212
Hello, I am currently choosing subjects for my highers and I have no idea what to do.

My first question is to do with maths, I just passed national 4 (embarrassing ik) but I was recommended for the national 5 NPA Personal finance unit, but I'm not sure if I should take that or national 5 applications.

I'm also conflicted on whether I should take higher english??? Is it good to have as a back up? I'm personally sick of constantly analysing poems and writing useless essays. (My class is also stuck with a terrible teacher)

Also, I have decided to definitely take Higher Politics and Sociology, but my brother advises me to at least take modern studies. Is it worth taking modern studies on top of the two or to just leave it?

(last one) I was also considering taking higher human biology since it looks really interesting, but the things holding me back are the fact that I'm really not much of a science person (currently slaving through National 5 biology with a crap teacher) and I'm terrible at doing ANY kind of maths in biology.

Could someone who took higher human biology share their experience of what it was like? Thank you! (and sorry for the rant)

hi! I'm currently doing H Human Biology and really enjoying it. The first unit is a bit of a drag as it's mostly about cells but units 2&3 are really interesting in my opinion! The maths based questions don't really step up from N5 (percentage increase/decrease, ratios, etc), the only difference is the graph reading questions but those are all very similar and easy to master. If you're worried about it I recommend speaking to your teacher (or you said they're not so great so -a teacher you trust) and ask them for advice. If you're genuinely interested in it then it'll definitely be worthwhile! Most of it is memorising which I think is what makes it different compared to the other sciences.
From what I've seen, human bio and Modern Studies are some of the hardest subjects to do well in so unless your really interested, stick with politics (and normal higher biology if you want, which js easier).
If you want to go to university or college, check the requirements. Higher English and some form of n5 maths (sometimes they allow n5 apps instead) are normally required, so there would be a high chance of you needing them.
Original post by Elenaa_212

Dont be to hard on yourself about maths I'm in the same boat atm and have decided to just do it in s6 or collage. Good luck with your choices :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending