The Student Room Group

A2 Biology OCR June 2015 Revision Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by laurenemilyxx
The reaction goes both ways in different cycles so in the liver its lactate to pyruvate. :smile: hope that helps x

Ah thank you! Is that the same with ethanal -> ethanol ( ethanol dehydrogenase) x
Original post by cheeky 12
I'm pretty much doing posters for chem2 this year I got Chem 4 and 5 to start! Too! Only got two more topics for chem2 defo got the basic in my head! Been getting 50 so far hopefully that number will go up urge wish I could do that but got a synoptic paper for psychology need my B in that!!!!

Hmm might just memorise these notes i guess 2 hours every day for each unit then fingers crossed exams easy and boundaries are low 😩😩😩

Posted from TSR Mobile

same I got chem unit 4 and 5 aswel :s-smilie: I've got basic understanding but don't have much remembered in any unit so I really have to get my head down

time for the 10 hour grind to begin wish me luck! :O
Original post by CamilleClarke
Ah thank you! Is that the same with ethanal -> ethanol ( ethanol dehydrogenase) x

Kind of, ethanal goes to ethanol to an aldehyde then a carboxylic acid which is reduction, the reverse would be oxidation, so i'm not sure if it would be a different enzyme, sorry, i can look into it further if you want?x
Original post by laurenemilyxx
Kind of, ethanal goes to ethanol to an aldehyde then a carboxylic acid which is reduction, the reverse would be oxidation, so i'm not sure if it would be a different enzyme, sorry, i can look into it further if you want?x

I think I get it now but thank you very much ! :smile:
Guys, what's the difference between conservation and preservation?
Is the textbook right when it says ethanol dehydrogenase reduces ethanal to ethanol? Does that name make sense?

Original post by ChoccyPhilly
Guys, what's the difference between conservation and preservation?

Conservation involves the maintenance of biodiversity, including diversity between species, genetic diversity within species, and maintenance of varied habitats and ecosystems. Conservation is a dynamic process involving management and reclamation. By contrast, preservation simply protects species, for example by creating a nature reserve.
Reply 886
Original post by vincentjack
Is the textbook right when it says ethanol dehydrogenase reduces ethanal to ethanol? Does that name make sense?

The name is referring to the reverse reaction, but it can go both ways. Ethanal has fewer hydrogen atoms than ethanol so ethanal dehydogenase wouldn't make sense.
2014 papers anyone??
hey does anyone have gmail and want to go through some of the content with me please?
Can anyone explain the rate of photosynthesis experiment please ? Explaining what each component is for e.g. sodium hydrogenvarbonate , capillary tube etc ..
Original post by vincentjack

Conservation involves the maintenance of biodiversity, including diversity between species, genetic diversity within species, and maintenance of varied habitats and ecosystems. Conservation is a dynamic process involving management and reclamation. By contrast, preservation simply protects species, for example by creating a nature reserve.

Conservation also allows humans to continue exploiting the habitat, while preservation leaves the area untouched by humans.
Hi guys if anyone wants allot of biology questions ocr starting from 2002 alongside the markscheme, http://biogishumerus.com/category/past-papers/
How much do we really need to know about the double spread on genes and body plans and the fruit fly?
Reply 893
Original post by CamilleClarke
How much do we really need to know about the double spread on genes and body plans and the fruit fly?

For the double spreads 11 to 15 on genes, you must know:
- The different types of epistasis (learning the common ratios is not enough in my opinion)
- Be able to understand genetic diagrams and tables (you do not need to know how to construct a genetic diagram, although I find it does help to use a punnett square if you do have the time)
- Understand notations of alleles, Including those that express codominance or are sex-linked

For the fruit fly, Drosophila melanogaster (spread 6), it is a "how science works" page. Therefore, You only require a basic understanding of homeobox genes and the effect that retinoic acid can have. However, you have to be able to make comparisons of the homeobox genes of organisms like drosophila with that of humans, for example.
Original post by mk96
For the double spreads 11 to 15 on genes, you must know:
- The different types of epistasis (learning the common ratios is not enough in my opinion)
- Be able to understand genetic diagrams and tables (you do not need to know how to construct a genetic diagram, although I find it does help to use a punnett square if you do have the time)
- Understand notations of alleles, Including those that express codominance or are sex-linked

For the fruit fly, Drosophila melanogaster (spread 6), it is a "how science works" page. Therefore, You only require a basic understanding of homeobox genes and the effect that retinoic acid can have. However, you have to be able to make comparisons of the homeobox genes of organisms like drosophila with that of humans, for example.

Thank you very much ! :smile:
In terms of Transcription what is the role of RNA polymerase? My book says it unzips the DNA molecule but other books say this is the role of DNA helicase?
Original post by maisie__x
In terms of Transcription what is the role of RNA polymerase? My book says it unzips the DNA molecule but other books say this is the role of DNA helicase?

The RNA polymerase is the enzyme used to break the hydrogen bonds between the nucleotide bases?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh no wait I I think DNA helicase basically just unwinds the two polynucleotide stands and then the RNA polymerase break the hydrogen bonds between the nucleotide bases

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by cheeky 12
Oh no wait I I think DNA helicase basically just unwinds the two polynucleotide stands and then the RNA polymerase break the hydrogen bonds between the nucleotide bases

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you! That makes a lot of sense :smile:
Thank you! That makes a lot of sense :smile:

For once I feel like I know something in biology 😂😂😂 no problem

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending