The Student Room Group

70% graduates get 2:1s or firsts

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by Rakas21
Had no idea so many people got a 2'1.

According to Unistats only 5% of people get a First on my course and i'm supposed to be an 'easy' uni.

If by 'easy ' you mean one that would typically get laughed at on TSR then you're statistical less likely to get a 2.1+. The odds of doing so decreases as you go down a stereotypical league table.

Oxbridge dishes out the greatest proportion. Most likely this is because the link is with intake qunlit to the degree type, and that x-uni moderation works.

When pointed out to people on TSR it's quite a suprising/inconvenient fact to those saying some universities are 'easy'.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 62
Original post by kieran101090
But no one can deny the fact that asian origin has highest degree status than english people in itself

Posted from TSR Mobile

I can.

And that post is an example of poor use of english. What even is 'degree status'?
Original post by clh_hilary

Ever if they were all standardised across the country, you will still need to make it comparable internationally. Having broader range makes it a lot easier to make comparison (ie is a 2:1 3.6 in GPA in the US? or is 64 exactly an 3.37 in the US?), the same goes to institution to institution and discipline to discipline comparisons. Since the scores are subjectively given and come from different modes of assessments,

This is the other can of worms I was talking about. It is not related to degree classifications.

The even bigger issue is that I didn't say we should get rid of scores altogether. The post I quoted argued that we should get rid of class honours together on the basis that class honours are taking away detailed information. The fact is they are not - they are merely additional information. The scores are still there if anyone wishes to compare them, which is better than the American GPA or nothing (in some universities they do have honours, but that's the minority) system.

It is not additional information. The classification is derived entirely from the percentage score. If you know the percentage, you know the class. If you know the class, you do not know the percentage. The percentage may be there - if you enquire at the university. But how many times do people put the percentage on their CV? I don't even know what percentage I got for any of my degrees.

The central problem with classifications is that 50% and 59% are lumped together as equivalent, while 59% and 60% are classed as different. Clearly that is stupid.

it's a lot easier to assert that a 2:1 at University of X is similar to a 2:1 at University of Y; but not so much with a specific score '65'.

It's very naive to believe that. A 2.1 from Cambridge is broadly equivalent to a 2.1 at the ex poly where I teach now? I don't think so.
Reply 64
Original post by chazwomaq
It's very naive to believe that. A 2.1 from Cambridge is broadly equivalent to a 2.1 at the ex poly where I teach now? I don't think so.

So external moderation doesn't work?
Original post by Quady
So external moderation doesn't work?

I don't even think this is the role of external examiners. Everyone knows degrees and marks are not equivalent between all universities. External scrutiny is usually to make sure marks align with the universities' own standards and guidelines, and are not too out of whack with what you'd expect for that institution. The rampant grade inflation of recent years is clear evidence that neither externals nor universities are holding degree marks to constant standards.

See these articles for more info:

http://www.theguardian.com/education/2010/jun/03/scrap-degree-classifications-says-thinktank

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/educationnews/7797612/University-degrees-cannot-be-compared.html

http://www.timeshighereducation.co.uk/news/degrees-of-comparability/2002785.article
The irony of it all is that the universities deny class inflation, they merely say that they give out more 1sts and 2.1s because the people they take on are better, so admit that they are just inflating the results but not explicitly saying it.
Original post by Dalek1099
No it is not STEM degrees are worth much more than degrees in the arts and are much harder too and you can get high scores in essays my sister does Psychology and got 95% in one essay she is averaging about 79% I think for her course.You can obtain 100% for any module otherwise it would just be marked out of 70% the fact that it is harder for arts students to get high scores than maths students is to account for how much more valuable stem subjects are and how much more skilled you have to be to do well in them and that's why they ask for pretty much publishable standard for arts essays for top scores.

Bull**** Bull**** Bull****, STEM has right or wrong answers where as other degrees are about how you learn, think and put across an argument as well as the subject matter however this also often incorporates subjectivity and therefore hinders the ability to get 100% because you cannot be 100% right in a discipline where there is no 100% right answer... logic tells you that.

Also Psychology is now deemed as a science so will be in your STEM category.
Original post by TheDanBandFan
Bull**** Bull**** Bull****, STEM has right or wrong answers where as other degrees are about how you learn, think and put across an argument as well as the subject matter however this also often incorporates subjectivity and therefore hinders the ability to get 100% because you cannot be 100% right in a discipline where there is no 100% right answer... logic tells you that.

Also Psychology is now deemed as a science so will be in your STEM category.

Absolute rubbish anyone who does STEM subjects knows that particularly in Science subjects the extended writing questions can be very subjective and there can be a wide variety of answers and in Maths there can be a wide variety of ways to prove things and you often have to worry about whether your proof is rigorous enough eg.at my mock interview for Maths I knew the answer and a very basic way of showing it and they wanted a full rigorous proof and you can't be exactly sure about what sort of proof they are looking for.For a lot of Universities the percentage who gets pretty much the whole range of marks is fixed in terms of the cohort so thus it wouldn't matter whether you did a STEM or non-STEM subject.
This doesn't prove that it's necessarily easy to get a 2:1 or a first, you still need to do a lot of work to obtain it.

I think it just means that students nowadays are working harder due to the fiercely competitive job market (that's my opinion anyway)
Original post by accountant-future
This doesn't prove that it's necessarily easy to get a 2:1 or a first, you still need to do a lot of work to obtain it.

I think it just means that students nowadays are working harder due to the fiercely competitive job market (that's my opinion anyway)

Alternatively: severe grade inflation

Posted from TSR Mobile

Imperial, Oxford, UCL, Bath, Warwick - GUILTY:mad:
Original post by Okorange
Imperial, Oxford, UCL, Bath, Warwick - GUILTY:mad:

Only Bath and Warwick really. The other three have high intakes to justify a better outgoing performance.
Only Bath and Warwick really. The other three have high intakes to justify a better outgoing performance.

Not when so many of their peers are handing out 1sts at lower rates. Look at King's and LSE at 23%, Durham, St Andrews, Cambridge at 22%. Edinburgh at 20%.

No school can justify a 30% 1st ratio.
I swear they did have a higher grade than a first though...
Professor Alan Smithers, director of the Centre for Education and Employment Research at Buckingham University, said: “The rise is undermining the usefulness of the degree in being able to distinguish” between students of different abilities.

He doesn't mention that classification itself has actually increased in importance due to more people going to uni. It used to be the case that classification didn't matter too much - for most jobs, what set you apart from everyone else was that you had a degree at all.

Also neglects the rising importance of Masters Degrees (and to a lesser extend, PhDs) as distinguishing factors.

Except it's hardly nationally standardised, otherwise such places would either be near 100% or the crap units will hand out a lot fewer

Higher intake quality should increase the "value" of the classification from the top unis over the lower ones

Posted from TSR Mobile
The value of degrees seems to be diminishing...
Original post by Iamyourfather
The value of degrees seems to be diminishing...

Yes, if you think getting a first at Manchester Met is the same as getting a first at Oxford. Of course, they both obviously require the same level of skill and competence even though one course is much broader and complicated than the other. :rolleyes:
Original post by Sakk89
It's not exactly hard to get a 1st - all you got to do is read and study about your topic instead of getting wasted and laid every night.

It depends wholly on the university. Your statement might apply to ex-polys, but it certainly wouldn't apply to Oxbridge where the workload is intense in both quantity and complexity. Before you comment on the percentage of firsts being high, think about the standard of student at an Oxbridge university. They will typically be very hard-working and intelligent people. You don't get into Oxford or Cambridge by slacking. The average UCAS points of an Oxbridge student is typically miles better than those at inferior institutions.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending