The Student Room Group

Are these grades okay/average/standard for a first year student?

I’m in my first year at university (studying a BSc). I achieved a 61% in my first chemistry exam, a 67% in my first genetics exam and a 60% in an appraisal. Are these grades good for my first 3 assessments?
Original post by Anonymous
I’m in my first year at university (studying a BSc). I achieved a 61% in my first chemistry exam, a 67% in my first genetics exam and a 60% in an appraisal. Are these grades good for my first 3 assessments?

Those are 2:1 territory grades so yeah, you're doing alright. If you feel like you're underperforming, don't worry, it's your first year, only first semester, still finding your footing and making a not too shabby effort too, so keep up the effort!
In all fairness only you can answer this question

If you are happy with these grades then its great and you can continue as you are.

If however, you feel you have under performed then you may need to look at why, but without going so hard on yourself. As it is first year uni is it easy to get carried away with the excitement of the nightlife and the freedoms that come.

Remember it is about finding some balance, get the excitement out of your system, but also at the same time know grades are important if not from a career perspective then from a self achievement perspective, it comes down to the person you are and what makes you happy.

How do you feel about the results you have got in the first 3 assessments?
Original post by Anonymous #1

Hi there,

I'd say that these are successful grades, however, it's up to you if you wish to aim for a first (70%+ usually). If so, I recommend chatting with your professors to ask where you can improve to reach 70%.

All the best,

Jaz - Cardiff student rep
Reply 4
It's pretty usual for first years to get grades that seem a bit dissapointing relative to the results they were getting at A level for the same effort.

First year usually doesnt count towards the final classification to give students time to recalibrate the amount of effort they to be putting in to get the results they want.

Hi!

Depending on the grade boundaries for your university, those grades should be 2:1s, which means you’re doing great! If you’d like to aspire for 1:1s, then it might be good for you to ask your lecturers for feedback on how to improve, and make sure you keep in touch with them as you’re doing assignments so they can look at your draft and see how you’re doing 😊

Estelle
Third Year Psychology
University of Huddersfield

Hi there

I believe these grades are quite good considering they are your first assignments. They are a good starting point, and it gives you room for improvement.

I would recommend going through previous feedback which you have obtained and building on top of this. If you need help understanding the feedback, do book an appointment with your seminar leader for them to explain it to you in a bit more detail.

I hope this helps.
Chloe
University of Kent Student Rep

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending