The Student Room Group

If you could live in any time in history when would you pick?

Scroll to see replies

Probably now is my best bet, no particular reason...

p.s i'm black...
Original post by zhang-liao
Fair enough :lol:

I'm a freakin farmer according to the caste system :lol:

Meh. Back in the day, the farmers were the ones with the money. We're meant to be "land owners" which is then of course used for farming, so "back in the day" that was kinda good thing

Could go back to Pakistan, if yknow it's after 1947...

Also, I don't fancy starving.. (I mean I wouldnt even be born if I went far back enough to somewhere) Gotta not starve!
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by The_Internet
Meh. Back in the day, the farmers were the ones with the money. We're meant to be "land owners" which is then of course used for farming, so "back in the day" that was kinda good thing

Could go back to Pakistan, if yknow it's after 1947...

Also, I don't fancy starving.. (I mean I wouldnt even be born if I went far back enough to somewhere) Gotta not starve!

True but the courtiers lived the good lives though :yep:

Back when Pakistan was stronger :moon:

How about the Middle East during the Islamic Caliphate? :curious:

Let's say you weren't going to face racism and discrimination though, where would you go?
(edited 9 years ago)
Given I am not a fan of dying of preventable diseases, living in squalor and threat of having my head chopped off - I think right now is fine although future would definitely be better time.
Original post by zhang-liao
True but the courtiers lived the good lives though :yep:

Back when Pakistan was stronger :moon:

How about the Middle East during the Islamic Caliphate? :curious:

Let's say you weren't going to face racism and discrimination though, where would you go?

The ME was still pretty racist tbh

Tbh, it probably would be late 20th century/early 21st century, because tbh, I dont fancy dying of the plague, or being accused of being the devil, or a warlock, or whatever else.
The ME was still pretty racist tbh

Tbh, it probably would be late 20th century/early 21st century, because tbh, I dont fancy dying of the plague, or being accused of being the devil, or a warlock, or whatever else.

Fair enough :tongue:

I guess so. The world was quite crazy in the good old days :moon:
Original post by swanderfeild
Given I am not a fan of dying of preventable diseases, living in squalor and threat of having my head chopped off - I think right now is fine although future would definitely be better time.

Not sure it will. Who's to say Miami won't look like Darfur in 500 years time? Once upon a time, Abysinnia (Ethiopia) was really rich and had a vast empire. Today, it's one of the poorest nations on the planet

The world has also shifted in power as well ie: the West wasn't always this rich. The West was historically quite poor. Who's to say the West won't be poor again?
Not sure it will. Who's to say Miami won't look like Darfur in 500 years time? Once upon a time, Abysinnia (Ethiopia) was really rich and had a vast empire. Today, it's one of the poorest nations on the planet

The world has also shifted in power as well ie: the West wasn't always this rich. The West was historically quite poor. Who's to say the West won't be poor again?

Relative prosperity of individual regions are subject to chance for better or worse but when you look at the world as a whole, it always trends to advance for better. Given enough time, world trends to be more liberalized and progressive while technology always advances. In 500 years, west could be poor, oppressed hell hole while North Korea could be capital of technology and liberty but we will have more advanced technology, we will have space-faring capabilities and on the whole we will have more liberal attitudes towards social issues.
Edit: Obviously operating under the assumption that no apocalyptic global event occurs in next 500 years.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by channies
Up to today, you cannot go into the future in this scenario

Posted from TSR Mobile

The Roaring 20's

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 69
I would like to go back to 1066 so I can hopefully kill William the Conqueror myself and see what would have happened to England if he had lost the Battle of Hastings :colone::colone:
Original post by swanderfeild
Relative prosperity of individual regions are subject to chance for better or worse but when you look at the world as a whole, it always trends to advance for better. Given enough time, world trends to be more liberalized and progressive while technology always advances. In 500 years, west could be poor, oppressed hell hole while North Korea could be capital of technology and liberty but we will have more advanced technology, we will have space-faring capabilities and on the whole we will have more liberal attitudes towards social issues.
Edit: Obviously operating under the assumption that no apocalyptic global event occurs in next 500 years.

This is true. Tbh, I wonder how humanity would look if we didn't document things ie: we know absolutely nothing of civilisations pre-history (Well we know stuff from what we've found), but pre-history, there's no documentation
60s seems like an awesome time to be young...

Quick Reply

Latest