The Student Room Group
Liverpool John Moores University
Liverpool

Grand Central Accommodation 2015/16

Hi!

Was just wondering if many other people are applying to Grand Central this year! I'll be moving there on my own along with many other people and feel quite nervous... Would be nice to hear from people living there this year and their thoughts on it!

Thanks

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hey, I don't even know what accommodation to apply to yet...:s-smilie: Just know that LJMU is my firm choice! :smile:
Liverpool
I currently live at Grand Central and I will be again for 2015/16! Obviously I had the exact same last September when I moved here alone, but it's been good, decided to stay on here with some course friends. It's not the nicest accommodation in Liverpool and by that I mean if you're looking for something really upmarket there are other, better options but the location is really good for me anyway, the rooms are a decent size and I have my own bathroom, flat mates have been nice, reception staff are helpful, so I can't really complain too much.

Only thing I'm not super keen on is how you report maintenance issues online or via an app and reception can't really do a lot, not that you're likely to encounter such issues, but whoever deals with it at the Unite office seems a bit slow...
Reply 3
Ahh, thanks that's really helpful!:smile:

I'm looking at Grand Central - ensuite, Europa and Grenville Street as it's the closest to course campus and looks the nicest! :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by NatalieMT
I currently live at Grand Central and I will be again for 2015/16! Obviously I had the exact same last September when I moved here alone, but it's been good, decided to stay on here with some course friends. It's not the nicest accommodation in Liverpool and by that I mean if you're looking for something really upmarket there are other, better options but the location is really good for me anyway, the rooms are a decent size and I have my own bathroom, flat mates have been nice, reception staff are helpful, so I can't really complain too much.

Only thing I'm not super keen on is how you report maintenance issues online or via an app and reception can't really do a lot, not that you're likely to encounter such issues, but whoever deals with it at the Unite office seems a bit slow...

Ah thanks for that reply! What is it like in terms of socializing? Is it the place 'to be' for first years who will like going out? Or would you say from your experience most places are similar when going out etc
Original post by Beeper12
Ah thanks for that reply! What is it like in terms of socializing? Is it the place 'to be' for first years who will like going out? Or would you say from your experience most places are similar when going out etc

People go out here most nights! I guess if you like going out you'll always find people to go out with anywhere but more so here because it's so big and always billed as party central so people just expect it. There's quieter periods like now, mainly because it's too cold but it still doesn't put people off that much! They do have freshers blocks as well if you want to be with just other LJMU freshers - I don't live in the freshers block, even though I had the option to, but I'm 23 so I preferred a couple of older flatmates. They're good about letting you swap flats within the building though if the one you're allocated you end up not liking.

I can't comment on Europa because I really don't know a lot about it but my friend lives at Grenville so I've been there quite a few times. It's really nicely furnished, she has a big tv etc and we definitely don't, relatively close to the bars on Seel Street and to our Uni campus (not sure about others but I'm Mount Pleasant!) but not so close to the city centre. Definitely quieter than here though. So it depends what you prefer really. Personally I like Grenville but I didn't choose it because I wanted to be closer to Lime Street station because of work and travelling back late at night and the location of Grand Central is so convenient for that.
Reply 6
People go out here most nights! I guess if you like going out you'll always find people to go out with anywhere but more so here because it's so big and always billed as party central so people just expect it. There's quieter periods like now, mainly because it's too cold but it still doesn't put people off that much! They do have freshers blocks as well if you want to be with just other LJMU freshers - I don't live in the freshers block, even though I had the option to, but I'm 23 so I preferred a couple of older flatmates. They're good about letting you swap flats within the building though if the one you're allocated you end up not liking.

I can't comment on Europa because I really don't know a lot about it but my friend lives at Grenville so I've been there quite a few times. It's really nicely furnished, she has a big tv etc and we definitely don't, relatively close to the bars on Seel Street and to our Uni campus (not sure about others but I'm Mount Pleasant!) but not so close to the city centre. Definitely quieter than here though. So it depends what you prefer really. Personally I like Grenville but I didn't choose it because I wanted to be closer to Lime Street station because of work and travelling back late at night and the location of Grand Central is so convenient for that.

Ah yeah I get what you mean. Thanks a lot for your reply! I'm just getting quite stressed trying to decide what accommodation to choose... as I haven't been to view any I don't want to make any rash decisions!
Reply 7

Also I saw your mentioned being in a 'freshers block' how do you go about applying for that? Do you need to ring up LJMU when applying for accommodation or is there something you can tick to say you want to be in there?
Ah yeah I get what you mean. Thanks a lot for your reply! I'm just getting quite stressed trying to decide what accommodation to choose... as I haven't been to view any I don't want to make any rash decisions!

What are your options? I have friends that live in other halls here too, but was just discussing the ones mentioned. Are you coming to view at all or just deciding based on what you see online?
Reply 9
What are your options? I have friends that live in other halls here too, but was just discussing the ones mentioned. Are you coming to view at all or just deciding based on what you see online?

I haven't really had a massive look at the other ones. Granville looks nice and a lot more modern than most. But I think i'd rather stay in accommodation that has a livelier atmosphere than one that has more comfort to it, as I can always go into a house share the next year if my uni year goes successful lol!
I'm definitely going for grand central:smile: I know a few people who are there already and I've stayed there a couple of times, honestly I think it's the best place to be for first years!! it's so convenient as its close to my campus and literally across the road from lime st station. all the people are really nice and friendly (from the couple of floors I've seen, the whole floor seem to be really close).
I haven't really had a massive look at the other ones. Granville looks nice and a lot more modern than most. But I think i'd rather stay in accommodation that has a livelier atmosphere than one that has more comfort to it, as I can always go into a house share the next year if my uni year goes successful lol!

Yeah Grenville is nice, but it is much quieter from experience. Cambridge Court is quite similar to Grand Central but I'd say the atmosphere here is better. Freshers block you just get automatically placed in as an LJMU fresher, I was an LJMU fresher last year but I booked my accommodation privately through Unite not through LJMU hence why I had the choice. If you apply for Grand Central through LJMU you'll 100% get placed with other LJMU freshers. I live with 2 second years, another first year and a girl on her Masters you see.

Grand Central to be honest is mostly LJMU students anyway, a few from Hope and a few from Uni of Liverpool but not many. Honestly I think if you came here you wouldn't regret it. I don't hence why I am living here again from September!
Original post by Lacey7xx
Ahh, thanks that's really helpful!:smile:

I'm looking at Grand Central - ensuite, Europa and Grenville Street as it's the closest to course campus and looks the nicest! :smile:

Same! I'd be at Mount Pleasant so it's probably between Grand Central, Grenville and Cambridge Court for distance to the campus, have you been to see any of them yet? :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Maverick1306
Same! I'd be at Mount Pleasant so it's probably between Grand Central, Grenville and Cambridge Court for distance to the campus, have you been to see any of them yet? :smile:

I'm at the City Campus, so although Grand Central is closest and most convenient for going home and stuff (Liverpool Lime St. Station being round the corner), I'm probably going to go to Europa or Grenville as it's the nicest in my opinion - most likely Europa out of the two! :smile:
Original post by Lacey7xx
I'm at the City Campus, so although Grand Central is closest and most convenient for going home and stuff (Liverpool Lime St. Station being round the corner), I'm probably going to go to Europa or Grenville as it's the nicest in my opinion - most likely Europa out of the two! :smile:

Europa does look really nice, Grenville seems like it might be a bit small for the amount of people, i'd want it to be a bit more social! luckily basically everywhere is en-suite and quite nice, my applicant day is on the 18th so I can see how close everything is- hard to judge on a map! :tongue:
Haha! I know what you mean, that's the only one down side; Grenville doesn't seem as sociable. My applicant day isn't till March and I don't wanna leave booking my accommodation till the last minute cause then I might not be able to get my own en-suite. :smile:
Original post by Maverick1306

I'd say Grenville is probably the furthest, but not by much, just because it's through China Town, Grand Central is probably next closest but it's quite convenient because it's so close to everything in the city centre as well. Cambridge Court is literally round the corner from John Foster building, very close to John Lennon and Redmonds too.

I live in Grand Central and my friends live in Grenville and Cambridge Court so I'm at all 3 each week. To be honest you can't go wrong with any of them for Mount Pleasant campus. I'd say furnishings wise Grenville and Grand Central are better than Cambridge Court. Small stupid thing but there's no doors on the showers at Cambridge Court just curtains - I really appreciate a door on my shower so made a lucky escape ha ha ha, may not bother you but just a small warning!

Enjoy your applicant day!
I'd say Grenville is probably the furthest, but not by much, just because it's through China Town, Grand Central is probably next closest but it's quite convenient because it's so close to everything in the city centre as well. Cambridge Court is literally round the corner from John Foster building, very close to John Lennon and Redmonds too.

I live in Grand Central and my friends live in Grenville and Cambridge Court so I'm at all 3 each week. To be honest you can't go wrong with any of them for Mount Pleasant campus. I'd say furnishings wise Grenville and Grand Central are better than Cambridge Court. Small stupid thing but there's no doors on the showers at Cambridge Court just curtains - I really appreciate a door on my shower so made a lucky escape ha ha ha, may not bother you but just a small warning!

Enjoy your applicant day!

Oh I definitely want a door on my shower! That's Cambridge off the list straight away :tongue: I'll be coming down from Newcastle so being near the station will be good for me, until I get used to where I am anyway, my sense of direction isn't the best :tongue: Thanks! :biggrin:
Hey! I'm wanting to move to Grand Central also! I've heard it's pretty crazy from friends who stayed in their first year haha :-)
I was stuck between Europa and Grand Central but after looking up distances from Europa to Redmonds Building (where i will mainly be based), it was off the cards. After reading this I'm definitely going to be applying to Grand Central. So so so excited to start university in September 😁

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending