The Student Room Group

WLA I and II

Hey, I have some questions about the World Literature Assignment I/II. Must the title be a research question or is it enough if the aim of my assignment is explained in the introduction?

If I only use information from the books (the 2 works used in the WLA), but don’t use the exact words… is this something I should cite or not?

Thx.

P.S. Are there any guidelines, similar to the extended essay guidelines?
I'm not sure if the title has to be your research question but I think it's common practice to do so. Besides, you don't want a long and detailed introduction because you don't have enough words for to write it in as it is!

I'm not sure I know what youmeant in the second bit, but I think you should add some quotes with the exact words, and when those quotes are too long then you can describe whatever extract you want to mention. And sure, cite it, while it may seem obvious where it's from you'll definitely not lose marks for over-citing, so better to stay on the safe side. :p:
if you describe something that happens in the book, no need to reference. but if you directly quote then defnitely reference it.
Reply 3
Your research question has to be your title and that's why you have to frame it carefully.
odd creature
Hey, I have some questions about the World Literature Assignment I/II. Must the title be a research question or is it enough if the aim of my assignment is explained in the introduction?

If I only use information from the books (the 2 works used in the WLA), but don’t use the exact words… is this something I should cite or not?

Thx.

P.S. Are there any guidelines, similar to the extended essay guidelines?

Since you are comparing two books, it is essential for you to cite the book at least once at the beginning and then you can continue by just putting the page reference in parentheses. That's what we had to do anyways.
Reply 5
Your research question should be something like this

How does the author use nature imagery to portray the protagonist in *book A* and *book B*?

That would be an example of the research question. It has to be:

Focused

Relevant

Interesting

Original

And it has to...

State the two works you read (Underline the titles if you word process it)

Reply 6
Can the World Literature 2 title be a research question or can it be a statement? Originally I had a research question but my school made me change it to a statement, citing page 12 of the "Diploma Programme Language A1 World Literature Teacher Support Material: November 2002". It states that "[titles in the form of a question] would be unusual and perhaps indicative of undue teacher intervention for the canditate".

Thank you
Adding to Dan's answer, I suppose you could, instead have a statement that says, The use of nature imagery to portray the protagonist in *book A* and *book B*
Reply 8
Or if you had something slightly different:

"Natural imagery is sometimes used by an author to give a character animalistic qualities". Discuss with reference to two works you have studied

Gotta love creating sample IB Questions in the form of the English A1, Paper 2, General Questions. :p:
haha. my teacher would always say "with specific reference to" though. The 'specific' is soooo important apparently, and every time I write my title without it he'd put it in.
Reply 10
Does anyone know whether or not the citation references to the books (meaning page numbers in parentheses) are included in the word count?
if you put then in parentheses next to the quotes then they count. if you put them in footnotes then no.
Reply 12
WL II ftw!

How does Ariel Dorfman Develop the theme of forgiveness in Death and the Maiden?

Latest

Trending

Trending