The Student Room Group

Typing speed test

Scroll to see replies

Original post by King Leonidas
Meh, couldn't be bothered to get it perfect:tongue:

Not very hard, you just edit the link.

That's why I'm dubious of scores higher than mine (around 60 wpm)

It look as if only the screenshot can be hacked not the initial result page so should people just print screen that and upload it as an attachment to prove they haven't cheated?

typing.jpg
(edited 9 years ago)

Not too shabby right?
98. (first attempt)
504 keystrokes, 95 correct words, 3 wrong words, position 4473/161480 last 24 hours.

Pretty happy with that :tongue:
I got 81:

I have managed to score just over 100/WPM on tests similar to these in the past, as have had experience working in IT typing all day long. Other tests use excerpts from famous stories/texts with proper grammar tested as well. I noticed this one was random which gives a different sort of result, focussing on your sole ability to type randomly, which feels a bit weird. A good test, but I guess it would generally lead to lower scores, as we are used to typing certain phrases quickly.

It would be interesting to compare peoples results with a test like this: http://www.typingtest.com/ which incorporates proper sentences/punction, but does have the benefit of typing sentences/phrases we would commonly use.
Reply 26
I'm improving :wink: 87 -> 95

Not so bad I guess!
What about this one, seeing how quick you can type the alphabet

http://playfreeonlinegames.eu/playonline/typethealphabet.html
Reply 29
Original post by adam9317
What about this one, seeing how quick you can type the alphabet

http://playfreeonlinegames.eu/playonline/typethealphabet.html

Found this one more challenging because I didn't really know where each individual letter was, I never really look at the keyboard when I type but I had to do for this one.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by jshep000
Found this one more challenging because I didn't really know where each individual letter was, I never really look at the keyboard when I type but I had to do for this one.

You need to know where each individual letter is when typing the individual letters of each word though?I got 3.66 as my highest score so far but I have attempted this multiple times partly due to the fact it is so easy to mess up compared to the other test.
Reply 31
Original post by Dalek1099
You need to know where each individual letter is when typing the individual letters of each word though?I got 3.66 as my highest score so far but I have attempted this multiple times partly due to the fact it is so easy to mess up compared to the other test.

Not for me, when I see a word I can type it without looking at the keyboard. But the alphabet is different to me. Some people can recite the next letter after lets say J, immediately. Or recite the alphabet backwards. I always would have to say the alphabet out to find the letter after J. Maybe it has some sort of correlation:eek:
Original post by crazystudent321
I got 81:

I have managed to score just over 100/WPM on tests similar to these in the past, as have had experience working in IT typing all day long. Other tests use excerpts from famous stories/texts with proper grammar tested as well. I noticed this one was random which gives a different sort of result, focussing on your sole ability to type randomly, which feels a bit weird. A good test, but I guess it would generally lead to lower scores, as we are used to typing certain phrases quickly.

It would be interesting to compare peoples results with a test like this: http://www.typingtest.com/ which incorporates proper sentences/punction, but does have the benefit of typing sentences/phrases we would commonly use.

http://www.typingtest.com/result.html?acc=95&nwpm=42&gwpm=44&ncpm=213&gcpm=223&dur=60&time=60&chksum=20248&unit=wpm&kh=47&td=null&err=2&hits=223

I got 47 in the first test from the OP and improved to 54 in my second attempt.That test seemed stupid because you had to put a gap in between full stops absolutely ridiculous.
Not for me, when I see a word I can type it without looking at the keyboard. But the alphabet is different to me. Some people can recite the next letter after lets say J, immediately. Or recite the alphabet backwards. I always would have to say the alphabet out to find the letter after J. Maybe it has some sort of correlation:eek:

Ah you meant that you didn't know what the next letter in the alphabet was quickly. Yeh I have to recite the whole alphabet in my head to know what to type next but in the other test you didn't know what word came next though?
Reply 34
Ah you meant that you didn't know what the next letter in the alphabet was quickly. Yeh I have to recite the whole alphabet in my head to know what to type next but in the other test you didn't know what word came next though?

It didn't matter what word came next, because I know where they keys would be. If my fingers are placed right, I would never mistype/spell a word ever but sometimes they get misplaced so I get a word wrong.
It didn't matter what word came next, because I know where they keys would be. If my fingers are placed right, I would never mistype/spell a word ever but sometimes they get misplaced so I get a word wrong.

so why is there a problem with the alphabet? it shouldn't matter what letters come next as your fingers will be in the correct position.I type looking at the keyboard which is probably harder so I have to keep looking up at the screen.
got 119 !!!!

ahhh this is so annoying, i used to do tests like these when i was younger and i'm so rusty now haha that was my second attempt
it gets me so frustrated and competitive :'(
Reply 38
Original post by faggstagram
got 119 !!!!

ahhh this is so annoying, i used to do tests like these when i was younger and i'm so rusty now haha that was my second attempt
it gets me so frustrated and competitive :'(

Well done:eek: Hoping you don't beat me now:colone:
http://www.typingtest.com/result.html?acc=95&nwpm=42&gwpm=44&ncpm=213&gcpm=223&dur=60&time=60&chksum=20248&unit=wpm&kh=47&td=null&err=2&hits=223

I got 47 in the first test from the OP and improved to 54 in my second attempt.That test seemed stupid because you had to put a gap in between full stops absolutely ridiculous.

It is annoying that you have to follow the text exactly, but is more of an accurate test if you were measuring your actual typing speed, as you do have to put a space after a full stop if you were writing out a letter or a piece of work. I agree that test can a bit over tedious with focus on grammar/punctionation. I am currently on a machine which won't run the test, but will take it when I get the chance.

Quick Reply

Latest