The Student Room Group

What to choose for A-level?!! Help :O

Scroll to see replies

Original post by taylortron99
Hmmmm... I still think German is the best option. I couldn't handle all that Science and Maths!:cool:

I study both French and FM for A2 so I can say that fm is the better a level go have without bias

Languages are extremely useful, but if you can prove proficiency there is no need for an a level in it
Original post by morgan8002
You vastly underestimate the value of maths, particularly in maths/science related fields, however I agree to disagree.

Very few courses actually require a language. UCL requires a language at GCSE, but you can take it there.

No. I haven't underestimated Maths as it is one of the most impressive advanced levels to possess; however I believe Further Maths is not necessary. Proficiency in foreign languages is surely the mark of an educated and civilised society. The economic benefits of languages are considerable.
Reply 22
Why further maths self-taught? Why not just have lessons?

That was if the OP thinks they could handle the pressure. Personally I think it's feasible for FM for AS but not really for the A2. Also most schools only offer 4 subjects tops for A level teaching.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by MrJAKEE
That was if the OP thinks they could handle the pressure. Personally I think it's feasible for FM for AS but not really for the A2.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I did that combination but there's no real reason to self-teach further maths rather than just attending classes on it.
Reply 24
I did that combination but there's no real reason to self-teach further maths rather than just attending classes on it.

No but again I'll re-emphasise the bit "if you could handle the pressure" - big difference in the advice I was offering. Most schools only offer 4 subjects for A level teaching and so taking a fifth is out the reach of many. If the OP wanted to take another subject + FM for AS then FM is definitely the better to be self-taught (with the right mathematical aptitude).

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MrJAKEE
No but again I'll re-emphasise the bit "if you could handle the pressure" - big difference in the advice I was offering. Most schools only offer 4 subjects for A level teaching and so taking a fifth is out the reach of many. If the OP wanted to take another subject + FM for AS then FM is definitely the better to be self-taught (with the right mathematical aptitude).

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ok. So taken with classes if they offer 5 and OP is ok with the pressure, self-study if they don't offer 5 and OP is still ok with the pressure.

I agree. AS further maths will be much easier to self-teach than say chemistry.
Reply 26
Ok. So taken with classes if they offer 5 and OP is ok with the pressure, self-study if they don't offer 5 and OP is still ok with the pressure.

I agree. AS further maths will be much easier to self-teach than say chemistry.

Basically yes.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by taylortron99
German is the most beneficial in fact. If you are looking into going to the Russell Group universities. An advanced level in languages is very impressive on your application. Choosing an A-level language is a really smart move if you want a fascinating subject that offers you a range of career possibilities at the end and are a lot of fun along the way. A-level language courses are interesting and varied subjects to study and give you a broad range of knowledge and skills.

Thanks a lot- helped me get a general view and has weighted my decision slightly xD
Would it help if I said I would like to be a pilot or work in the aeronautics industry? :P
Reply 29
Original post by WhizzKidhehe:)
Would it help if I said I would like to be a pilot or work in the aeronautics industry? :P

http://www.imperial.ac.uk/study/ug/courses/aeronautics-department/aeronautical-engineering/

Notice how it "strongly recommends" further maths.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest