The Student Room Group

What should I expect for a math interview? How should I prepare for one?

Title

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Probably shouldn't need to prepare much, just explain to them why you enjoy studying maths (I hope you do or you're in for a **** three years), they might give you a problem to solve.

My friend had a problem to solve, a quadratic with no real solutions, it was pretty straight forward from what he said.
Original post by J_W-x
Probably shouldn't need to prepare much, just explain to them why you enjoy studying maths (I hope you do or you're in for a **** three years), they might give you a problem to solve.

My friend had a problem to solve, a quadratic with no real solutions, it was pretty straight forward from what he said.

sounds like a terrible interview lol. My friend applied to trinity college cambridge and he got way tougher questions.
Reply 3
Original post by CancerousProblem
Title

What university are you interviewing at?
Original post by james22
What university are you interviewing at?
not interviewing at the moment but planning to apply to any combination of the following:

Oxford, Imperial, Warwick, Durham, UCL, LSE

and as a backup just incase I mess up Exeter or Nottingham
Reply 5
not interviewing at the moment but planning to apply to any combination of the following:

Don't know much about the others but for Oxford expect to be asked a load of hard maths questions.

No cambridge! 😔 Cambridge are mad for maths!
Only ones that interview there are oxford and sometimes imperial. Expect questions that will push your understanding of maths. Key is showing how you think in an interview.

Posted from TSR Mobile
sounds like a terrible interview lol. My friend applied to trinity college cambridge and he got way tougher questions.

Trinity have a tough test. Not as hard as you think though. Try them, they are on there website.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by physicsmaths
Trinity have a tough test. Not as hard as you think though. Try them, they are on there website.

Posted from TSR Mobile

nah I heard most cambridge colleges include physics as part of their offer and even though I am taking physics I really hate teh mechanics/physics part of maths. I'm more of a pure-math person and I don't mind teh statistics
nah I heard most cambridge colleges include physics as part of their offer and even though I am taking physics I really hate teh mechanics/physics part of maths. I'm more of a pure-math person and I don't mind teh statistics

Yh mine includes it. Im pretty sure if u take it to A2 oxford would inlclude it aswell.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yh mine includes it. Im pretty sure if u take it to A2 oxford would inlclude it aswell.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oxford don't care which of your A levels counts towards your offer, except for maths (and further maths if you took it) have to be A* grades.
Original post by james22
Oxford don't care which of your A levels counts towards your offer, except for maths (and further maths if you took it) have to be A* grades.

He said he is taking physics though so he needs an A in it to meet the min requirement.

Posted from TSR Mobile

yh but you 'only' need an A in it and not an A*.

Posted from TSR Mobile
He said he is taking physics though so he needs an A in it to meet the min requirement.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not if it is a 4th A level and he gets an offer only involving 3. If he is oly doing 3 then yes, but it being physics doesn't make it special.
Original post by james22
Not if it is a 4th A level and he gets an offer only involving 3. If he is oly doing 3 then yes, but it being physics doesn't make it special.

Ah ok. Im guessing the maths degree at oxford is less physics orientated.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by james22

I just looked in the Cambridge prospectus and its not required either. Its 'highly desirable'.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ah ok. Im guessing the maths degree at oxford is less physics orientated.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I just looked in the Cambridge prospectus and its not required either. Its 'highly desirable'.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think that physics is desireable for any maths degree, though I doubt it is necessary for any of them.
Original post by james22
I think that physics is desireable for any maths degree, though I doubt it is necessary for any of them.

Yh but i think it does help with dynamics and relativity in Part IA in Cam. If the OP's Maths is good enough he will get an offer from either, forget physics.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm more of a pure-math person

Is there even any pure maths in A-Levels?:biggrin:
Original post by tombayes
Is there even any pure maths in A-Levels?:biggrin:

I guess Proof by Induction is only really needed for pure maths, so that counts.

Quick Reply

Latest