The Student Room Group

OCR LAW A2 Criminal Law 2015

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Hi, I am a founder of a new law journal - all of our writers are young, ranging from contributors in sixth form to contributors at university.

It is a great opportunity for you to get your name on the web for the right reasons. We are supported and have testimonials from multiple legal professionals.

If you have written legal articles/essays or are willing to write one for us, please private message me - and I will give you more information. It is a great opportunity!
My teachers are kind of thinking that consent and strict liability, robbery+burglary are hot up for essays. non fatals, defences or theft robbery burglary for problem questions but not sure about dilemma boards yet...
Original post by georgiakw
My teachers are kind of thinking that consent and strict liability, robbery+burglary are hot up for essays. non fatals, defences or theft robbery burglary for problem questions but not sure about dilemma boards yet...

Dilemma boards are really hard to predict but luckily its not TOO difficult to have each offence and defences elements memorised for whatever comes up ( a theft dilemma board is always nice ) and i agree with you on strict liability and consent coming up for essays. Robbery and burglary is a good shout to have learnt bcus it was ssp last year and they like to test it again the next year. Non fatals would also be good to learn and its always good to know ur elements of murder and manslaughter for the scenarios

Posted from TSR Mobile
All 3 of my teachers are examiners and they are predicting that consent, Strict liab, theft/robbery/burglary (in one), OAP and manslaughter will be v likely to come up for the 2 x 50 markers and insanity, automatism and defences are likely for the 20 marker. I know it doesn't narrow it down but they have been pretty spot in in the past. Consent will be on the paper 98% as it's the special study next year for 2016 so the examiners are probably going to throw that in on the big paper
Hi Guys,

I think the Section A question is 100% going to be intention+recklessness cobined or just intention (bearing in mind this topic has not come up since 2009) and robbery and burglary (this topic has never come up). Whilst looking at the past papers, I've noticed that OCR always use the special study paper for the year before as a Section A essay, has anyone else thought of it like this?
My Predictions:

A : Consent, Mens Rea, Theft
Consent is next years special study and it hasn't come up since June 2011, Mens Rea comes up every four papers or so and Theft as the last time it was on section A was Jan 2012 it has also been on the section B part four papers in a row so I doubt it will again (hopefully not anyway).

B : Involuntary Manslaughter, Robbery and Burglary, Offences against the person
Involuntary is always popular but failed to come up in June 2014 as did Offences against the person. Robbery and Burglary has not come up under B since Jan 2011 making it a possibility.

C : Attempts, either OAPA or Involuntary as haven't come up for a while
I am focusing on all three as it has always been difficult to predict however OAPA is normally always on a paper somewhere and it wasn't last year so I think it be a section B or C. Involuntary hasn't come up since Jan 2013 and attempts hasn't appeared since June 2012 under section C.

My advice would be to revise Offences against the Person Offences for EVERYTHING it is such a popular topic and is really likely to come up.
Hope this helped a little :smile:
Reply 106
Could you tell me what you mean by men's rea in section A? Which topic are you referring to? I'm so stressed for this exam too :frown:
Original post by Gxz567
Could you tell me what you mean by men's rea in section A? Which topic are you referring to? I'm so stressed for this exam too :frown:

Mens Rea (mental element) is intention and recklessness, foresight of consequences and such.
Original post by xxblue
Hi Guys,

I think the Section A question is 100% going to be intention+recklessness cobined or just intention (bearing in mind this topic has not come up since 2009) and robbery and burglary (this topic has never come up). Whilst looking at the past papers, I've noticed that OCR always use the special study paper for the year before as a Section A essay, has anyone else thought of it like this?

I remember u from last year😝

Posted from TSR Mobile
When bae bein bluntImageUploadedByStudent Room1432636522.354980.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 110
Hi ,
Does anyone know if we have to know every case for Insanity and Automatism. I know it's highly likely to crop up on Sec C but do you reckon it's okay to just know the 3 rules. Also, I'm finding it really hard to remember everything so what would you recommend the most definite topics are to revise?
Reply 111
Original post by Vitzy
I did A2 OCR Law last year, I got an A*! My highest UMS mark out of my 3 A-Levels - got 377, with 111/120 in Criminal Law and 72/80 in Special Study (so just scraped the A* lol). So, if anybody has any questions, or wants some hints/tips feel free to contact me, also have some essay plans saved to a memory stick somewhere that I revised to the death so if anybody wants some, or all, just let me know and I can try dig them out for you!!! :smile:

Wow! That's wicked, could I get those essay plans? I really want an A* in law!
Reply 112
I'm thinking of leaving out Non Fatals as its a huge topic and has way too much info to know like definitions etc. What do you guys think? I know it didn't come up at all in the 2014 paper but do you reckon its possible to gain an A* and not do non-fatals?
Original post by nav479
I'm thinking of leaving out Non Fatals as its a huge topic and has way too much info to know like definitions etc. What do you guys think? I know it didn't come up at all in the 2014 paper but do you reckon its possible to gain an A* and not do non-fatals?

It's not that much of a risk , if you do homicide&voluntary and invol aswell as theft&robbery+ burglarly. Tbh nonfatals is such a nice topic you should just do it!!!!!
Original post by annie55
Hi ,
Does anyone know if we have to know every case for Insanity and Automatism. I know it's highly likely to crop up on Sec C but do you reckon it's okay to just know the 3 rules. Also, I'm finding it really hard to remember everything so what would you recommend the most definite topics are to revise?

Cases are not relevant for section C. In relation to the memorising just read your revision notes and without looking see what you know on the top of your head, mark yourself and just pre practice again and again until everything is perfect.
Reply 115
I'm missing out Manslaughter and Men Rea completely...do you think that would be okay?
Reply 116
yes please
Original post by annie55
I'm missing out Manslaughter and Men Rea completely...do you think that would be okay?

But manslaughter is so nice for section B :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 118
But Manslaughters so confusing! Do you think the Property Offences (theft, rob and burg.) are likely Sec B scenarios as well, because I'd much rather do a property question than a homicide question!
Original post by annie55
But Manslaughters so confusing! Do you think the Property Offences (theft, rob and burg.) are likely Sec B scenarios as well, because I'd much rather do a property question than a homicide question!

They are likely but they could also put rob and burg as a section A. They seem to put homocide in section B alot tho
What do y find hard about m/s?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending