The Student Room Group

Gcse English Literature - Of Mice and Men Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Hi does anyone know the best way to summarize Of Mice And Men because i am aiming from a B grade to A*
Could You set it out as P.E.T.E.R. Paragraphs please?:confused::rolleyes:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by EllainKahlo
I got an A* in this, so if anyone needs help, hit me up. I really enjoyed Of Mice and Men, I literally just re-watched the film yesterday :wink:

I'm exam in few months and I don't know how to revise for of mice and men! Do u have any useful website or idea on how to revise... Please!
Original post by Hello!123
I'm exam in few months and I don't know how to revise for of mice and men! Do u have any useful website or idea on how to revise... Please!

This is the website I used to help me get a good grade: http://www.englishbiz.co.uk/mainguides/analysis.htm
Original post by EllainKahlo
This is the website I used to help me get a good grade: http://www.englishbiz.co.uk/mainguides/analysis.htm

Thank u!
Reply 44
Original post by Hello!123

Mentioned before but someone in my class used this to good effect...
http://www.shmoop.com/of-mice-and-men/
:awesome:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 45
Why does Steinbeck frequently use light to set his scene?

Posted from TSR Mobile
It is quite easy to add context in if the question you have to answer is based on dreams. The novel takes place in the 1930's, during the great depression which can be argued that it's due to the failure of the american dream. Each dream in the novel symbolises the american dream and can be seen that unfortunately, even through hard work their dreams are futile. As well as this the chapter with crooks can easily be linked to context through inequality at the time.

Also a further point is that the sound of the halter chains are used to foreshadow significant events within the novel. Every time something happens, for instance when Lennie kills Curley's wife, the sound of the chains precede this event. It can be linked to Charles Dickens Christmas carol and the halter chains in that novel are also used to foreshadow upcoming events.

Hope this helps! :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by natho49
Guys, what sort of grade would you give this:
Lennie is the most innocent character in the novella as he doesn't really understands what he does and why it's bad because 'Lennie don't know no rules' which suggests that Lennie doesn't know the rules of society so that he relies on his animal instincts- to kill. You could argue that Lennie is unaware when he does bad things as he says 'I done something bad' suggesting that he doesn't actually know what he's done. On the other hand, it could be considered that Lennie is aware of the problems that he causes as he says 'I'll go away'.Steinbeck might of created the character of Lennie to represent what men are fundamentally like; without rules, we rely on violence and murder. Because Lennie is unaware of the rules, he is considered innocent although he breaks the rules. ennie symbolises how lethal men can be witout rules. The way Lennie is portrayed, it makes the reader for sympathy for him because he could be compared to a child as he breaks the rules and knows he has done bad things but doesn't understand why. On the other hand, the reader might feel that Lennie could be blamed as he knows he does bad things yet he continues to do it.

It is good! I would further develop your point on Lennie's animal instinct as you can use quotes from the first chapter where Steinbeck has used animalistic imagery with Lennie drinking like and animal and walking like a bear. :smile:
Reply 48
Have my English literature mock tomorrow and wondered how much the average response is for the 46 markers? thanks!
Original post by panda14
Mentioned before but someone in my class used this to good effect...
http://www.shmoop.com/of-mice-and-men/
:awesome:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank u :smile:
Original post by spurs9393
How important is analysis of language/context? Or should you just focus on themes and events?
Posted from TSR Mobile

You must make constant reference to context. Think about:
- race relations
- women's place in society
- itinerant/migrant workers - loneliness
Reply 51
What do you think light signifies in the novella?

Posted from TSR Mobile
What do you think light signifies in the novella?

Anything you want as long as you can back it up with evidence. It could symbolise hope in terms of the dream farm or darkness may represent danger. You can link light to colours eg. Curley's Wife's Red dress. Just had a thought, it's dark when Candy's dog is killed but not when Curley's Wife is killed, Lennie's stupidity and symbolism of evil. THINK!
Reply 53
Original post by 04MR17
Anything you want as long as you can back it up with evidence. It could symbolise hope in terms of the dream farm or darkness may represent danger. You can link light to colours eg. Curley's Wife's Red dress. Just had a thought, it's dark when Candy's dog is killed but not when Curley's Wife is killed, Lennie's stupidity and symbolism of evil. THINK!

Couldn't you say the fact that it is light when Curley's wife actually symbolises the opposite, eg. the light represents her relief from her lonely life, and foreshadows that Lennie will also be released. The fact that it is dark when the dog is killed could also represent the end of the American Dream and foreshadow the future events. Light always seems to have more positive connotations to me, but I suppose that's why it's open to interpretation :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Couldn't you say the fact that it is light when Curley's wife actually symbolises the opposite, eg. the light represents her relief from her lonely life, and foreshadows that Lennie will also be released. The fact that it is dark when the dog is killed could also represent the end of the American Dream and foreshadow the future events. Light always seems to have more positive connotations to me, but I suppose that's why it's open to interpretation

Exactly, but the fact that Curley's Wife is killed in daylight shows how stupid Lennie is and his innocence (If you have the intention of killing someone you'd do it at night). The fact that Carlson kills Candy's dog in the dark symbolises the evil of violence and murder and evil and hatred etc. But Steinbeck juxtaposes this with Lennie's even more brutal murder of Curley's Wife in broad daylight! You can then compare the light in the killing of Lennie and the dog. Was it around dusk or do I have that wrong?
Reply 55
Original post by 04MR17
Exactly, but the fact that Curley's Wife is killed in daylight shows how stupid Lennie is and his innocence (If you have the intention of killing someone you'd do it at night). The fact that Carlson kills Candy's dog in the dark symbolises the evil of violence and murder and evil and hatred etc. But Steinbeck juxtaposes this with Lennie's even more brutal murder of Curley's Wife in broad daylight! You can then compare the light in the killing of Lennie and the dog. Was it around dusk or do I have that wrong?

Ah I understand what you're saying now. Yes, it was around dusk, and also I think Steinbeck describes mature mourning? Could this represent Candy's Wife's loneliness (as only animals seem to mourn her). Also by ending the play cyclically, could he be suggesting that the ranch workers will continue to be lonely and suffer until society fundamentally changes?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Of course!
Reply 57
Got my of mice and men mock Tuesday :/

What do you think are the most interesting and original points you've heard regarding the text/ any of the characters?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Got my of mice and men mock Tuesday :/

What do you think are the most interesting and original points you've heard regarding the text/ any of the characters?

Don't know about points, but here's a list of quotes/extracts, that you may find useful.
Reply 59
Original post by 04MR17
Don't know about points, but here's a list of quotes/extracts, that you may find useful.

Thanks very much!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending