The Student Room Group

The 'Aha' Moment Behind Calculus

As somebody who likes to understand things from step 0, I really enjoy understanding how complex topics are derived from the steps that built them.

This is a very interested article(s) written to help people achieve this so called 'aha' moment. I have already learnt about why it is written 'dy/dx' and I have only been reading for 20 minutes.

This is literally connecting the dots, instead of relying on memory to help me through my exam, this article helps to build a solid understanding of WHY calculus exists, how Leibniz and Newton first thought of it and how to apply it to your exam.

Its addictive !

Link: http://betterexplained.com/articles/a-gentle-introduction-to-learning-calculus/
(edited 9 years ago)
I find calculus to be one of the most interesting and fundamental topics covered in science and maths. The sheer amount it's used in physics... the incredible amount of 'common' maths and equations we derive from it, like basic geometrical and physical formulae...

I personally love learning about it. Some people just learn 'differentiation' and 'integration' and take it for granted, but if you actually learn what's really going on and what it actually means... It's fascinating :P
Rigorous definitions of integrals at university levels are good but difficult to me haaaaaaaaa. If you do a maths degree you shall see.
Original post by poorform
Rigorous definitions of integrals at university levels are good but difficult to me haaaaaaaaa. If you do a maths degree you shall see.

Riemann or Lebesgue?:colone:
Original post by tombayes
Riemann or Lebesgue?:colone:

Riemann.

Dont you dare laugh at me.

Is your name actually tom bayes or are you just a fan?
Reply 5
You can't have 'aha' moment in calculus without topology! :colone:

Quick Reply

Latest