The Student Room Group

Teens who went 'hunting for black people' and killed black man are sent t

Scroll to see replies

Original post by keromedic
Two of the 3 things you mentioned are not considered to be binaries by most.

I probably shouldn't have used the word binaries. I just meant that it is this classification of crimes based on a particular characteristic of the perpetrator/victim and then generalising this to the whole group of people possessing this characteristic, is harmful and counterproductive, whether to condemn a particular group or defend another group.
Reply 41
Original post by Decorpi12
I hate those binaries!! Black/white, men/women, Muslim/non-Muslims...That's always the issue I have with the way we tackle social problems. Those are human rights issues and we should condemn such violence because it's a crime against a human being, whatever the race, gender, religion...and the people who commit such crimes should not be associated with the group that they "supposedly" belong to! (Whether Black, White, Muslim...).
On the one hand, whenever a black person or Muslim, commits a crime we immediately link this to their race/religion. On the other hand, lobby groups (special interest groups) should be more inclusive: they should quit painting white people (men mostly) as privileged monsters who want to oppress everybody. Why can't we just judge or advocate for people regardless of the above factors?

I know but unfortunately the world just isn't that simple anymore.
Threads like these ARE RACIST

Saying white people are a threat to society IS RACIST

Ignoring hate crime so that people don't copycat offend for attention ISN'T RACIST
Original post by cake_lover
A British person I noticed cared more about the Charlie Hebdo shooting, than the Peshawar massacre of school children. Why? Because whites are for some reason more valuable. It's the same in Pakistan, people cared more for the Peshawar shooting than the Charlie Hebdo attack.

Another is the Boko Haram massacre, nobody seemed gave a ****.

You're not wrong about double standards (more evident in the recent Muslim killings), but there is also the fact that these things happened in countries where massacres are not uncommon (as sickening as that is).

The Charlie Hebdo shooting was news because it was about an attack at the heart of a place where freedom of speech is sacrosanct. The anger wasn't for the victims, it was for the attack on our values, and our right to criticise. Any death is a tragedy, but if those cartoonists had died in a car crash it wouldn't have been news. Being killed for drawing a cartoon in a stable Western country is shocking.

A massacre in Pakistan doesn't change anything, so there is less coverage. Indeed, the coverage there was focussed on the fact that an attack on children might finally push the government into adopting a no tolerance policy for terrorism (i.e. the political situation might change). Despite this, I would actually say it was quite heavily featured. They even had individual students' stories, and photographs of the victims.

Ukraine also seems to be off the media 'A' list right now.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Atreus
I think it's absolutely disgusting that you take whatever opportunity you can to justify this twisted agenda of yours. This man has just been beaten to death in cold blood and your seriously trying to debate the semantics of the word racism ?

I litterally ignore him hes a complete retard who no one takes seriously, I saw his name and reported without reading it as itis guranteed racist spew.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 45
Original post by Foo.mp3
I feel sorry for all victims of failed inter-civilizational melting pot multiculturalism/mass immigration, indeed it is usually the minorities that suffer the most :sad:

America will always be full of crazy people doing weird things,from school shootings to young guys gunning pedestrians because the girl of his dreams rejected him,luckily we don't see that sort of stuff here in the UK
Someone link me to the article
Reply 47
Original post by Foo.mp3
We used to, very occasionally, but Dunblane and related gun laws put a stop to that. In Europe, there've been a number of incidents recently e.g. in France, and let's not forget Breivik :s-smilie:

But in Europe,stuff like that Norwegian incident rarely occur. In America tho,this sort of stuff happens on a regular basis.
Original post by queen-bee
http://dailym.ai/16SW***

are sent to prison..

After seeing this being posted on Twitter,I couldn't believe it just after reading about the muslim students who were killed in North Carolina. So somebody on Twitter put up some common excuses that generally apply when a white person does this sort of thing apparent,read below:

- White terrorists are part of a “fringe.” Other terrorists are apparently mainstream.

- White terrorists are “troubled loners.”

- White terrorists are random events, like tornadoes. Other terrorists are long-running conspiracies.

- Nobody thinks white terrorists are typical of white people. But other terrorists are considered paragons of their societies

- White terrorists are alcoholics, addicts or mentally ill. Other terrorists are apparently clean-living and perfectly sane.

- White terrorists are called “gunmen.” What does that even mean? A person with a gun? Wouldn’t that be, like, everyone in the US?

before anybody calls me a racist,I am part 'white' myself.

I'm surprised they got prison.

I mean, they are white, they kill a black man ? They normally get off. Just make out that he was some huge green mile, angry black guy, claim that you was in fear for your life and normally that is enough for most white people to get off when it comes to killing a black person
Reply 49
Original post by willlondon2000
I'm surprised they got prison.

I mean, they are white, they kill a black man ? They normally get off. Just make out that he was some huge green mile, angry black guy, claim that you was in fear for your life and normally that is enough for most white people to get off when it comes to killing a black person

I know it's very rare but we rarely see stuff like this on the news
Reply 50
This is FALSE. Something like this could happen in 2015. We have a black president!
Reply 51
Original post by Truths
This is FALSE. Something like this could happen in 2015. We have a black president!

Even Barack Obama gets death threats from the KKK
Original post by Truths

There's no way this happened as we are all humans & we don't see colour.
Unfortunately the white world has been trying to convince the rest of the planet that they are more civilized, beautiful and better in every aspect. Things like ww1,2, holocaust, serbian Christians massacre, massacre of natives in America and Australia as well as the Pacific islands Provides evidence supporting ototherwise. Today they still excuse this type of behavior as mental illness, loner, abused etc but god forbid anyone non white does somethin, all hell breaks loose around that community
What makes them terrorists? Because they shot someone? And the terrorists who attacked Charlie Hebdo shot people? Therefore shooting people is terrorism? Is that literally your line of thinking? What about the white people that get shot by white people? Or blacks by blacks? Is that terrorism because someone got shot?
Original post by Snagprophet
What makes them terrorists? Because they shot someone? And the terrorists who attacked Charlie Hebdo shot people? Therefore shooting people is terrorism? Is that literally your line of thinking? What about the white people that get shot by white people? Or blacks by blacks? Is that terrorism because someone got shot?

Yes it is they bring terror

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 56
Original post by Snagprophet

I'd say terrorism is taking an action or using the threat of an action to attain goals that are political, religious, racial or ideological in nature to influence a governmental organisation, the general public or a section of the public.

While this attack wasn't large-scale enough to meet this definition, the original poster is completely correct in saying that there have been plenty of white terrorist attacks, particularly in the United States, during which the word 'terrorism' isn't used. It's pure hypocrisy. Furthermore, the US Government, by its own definitions, is currently engaging in terrorist attacks through its drone strike terror campaign.

In fact, as Edward Peck, former US Chief of Mission in Iraq said:

In 1985, when I was the Deputy Director of the Reagan White House Task Force on Terrorism, [my working group was asked] to come up with a definition of terrorism that could be used throughout the government. We produced about six, and each and every case, they were rejected, because careful reading would indicate that our own country had been involved in some of those activities. […] After the task force concluded its work, Congress [passed] U.S. Code Title 18, Section 2331 ... the US definition of terrorism. […] one of the terms, "international terrorism," means "activities that," I quote, "appear to be intended to affect the conduct of a government by mass destruction, assassination or kidnapping." […] Yes, well, certainly, you can think of a number of countries that have been involved in such activities. Ours is one of them. […] And so, the terrorist, of course, is in the eye of the beholder.

Essentially, the term 'terrorist' is a null term and shouldn't be applied to anyone if it's not applied to everyone.
Messed up but try put things into perspective here. If you only focus on crimes by one people you can make anyone out to be bad. Truth is despite being a minority in America African-Americans do commit over half of murders. It's the same with Islam people only focus on crimes by Muslims and vilify it as being an evil religion.
Reply 58
Original post by queen-bee
http://dailym.ai/16SW***

are sent to prison..

After seeing this being posted on Twitter,I couldn't believe it just after reading about the muslim students who were killed in North Carolina. So somebody on Twitter put up some common excuses that generally apply when a white person does this sort of thing apparent,read below:

- White terrorists are part of a “fringe.” Other terrorists are apparently mainstream.

- White terrorists are “troubled loners.”

- White terrorists are random events, like tornadoes. Other terrorists are long-running conspiracies.

- Nobody thinks white terrorists are typical of white people. But other terrorists are considered paragons of their societies

- White terrorists are alcoholics, addicts or mentally ill. Other terrorists are apparently clean-living and perfectly sane.

- White terrorists are called “gunmen.” What does that even mean? A person with a gun? Wouldn’t that be, like, everyone in the US?

before anybody calls me a racist,I am part 'white' myself.

generally a terorrist is influenced (often controlled mentally) by an ideology. with islamists, its islam. for a white guy killing black people it could be far-right ideology. both are terorrists, but i guess islamic terrorism is far more common and widespread, so it gets more coverage . probably islamist ideology and far-right are the worlds two worst at the moment

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending