The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 380
How many languages can you speak, HMS? And what's your first language? :smile: Bilingual people fascinate me - one day I plan to be one of them.
Reply 381
I love melbourne weather... it keeps life interesting. Plus its an excuse to buy more clothes and carry an enormous bag with me everywhere.
What school are you at, Simarik, if you dont mind me asking?
Reply 382
no not at all, well currently I attend no school, just finished the IB and waiting for first round offers on Tuesdays, but I attended the Australian International Academy...
Caitlin
How many languages can you speak, HMS? And what's your first language? Bilingual people fascinate me - one day I plan to be one of them

I speak Vietnamese and English fluently though I think 'fluent' in Vietnamese is somewhat pushing it :biggrin:. Despite it being my mother tongue and my living in VN for most of my life, I am much much much more comfortable in English in most situations. that's results of my living overseas for 2 years and spending most of my school life in english speaking school. I can speak Vietnamese obviously but there are a lot of situation where I express myself better in English...though there are situations where its vice versa as well.

So really my first language is Vietnamese, but in IGCSE I did First Lang English and chose English A1 instead of Viet A1.

I can speak some French (enough to get a 6 at IB Lang B anyway) but right now after not speaking any French for about 8 months I dont know whether it's still up to par. My French writing is better than my speaking.
Reply 384
That's so cool that you can speak Vietnamese fluently! I'm going to do French when I get to university, so hopefully by the end of uni I'll be fluent in it, if not before. I also want to learn Italian and Spanish at some point - shouldn't be too hard after having done French. :biggrin: I love languages so much; I would have done a third one ab initio if my school could have timetabled it. :rolleyes:
Caitlin
That's so cool that you can speak Vietnamese fluently!

lol the coolness if relative I think. consideing I am Viet it would be rather disconcerting if I didn't speak the language...

I want to learn Chinese...I have some very meagre knowledge of the language from watching Chinese dramas but I want to really be able to speak and read it. I would had loved to do Mandarin Ab Intio if my school offered it.
Reply 386
Yeah, I guess you're right... Well then, I find it cool that you can speak English! :p: It's great that you're bilingual in any case.

As for Mandarin, surely that would be a really hard language to do ab initio. The first year exams would just be comprised of the student reciting the alphabet or something... :s-smilie: I've never been particularly good at Asian languages - I did Japanese for 9 years, and now I don't remember a word of it. Mind you, I wasn't particularly motivated to learn another language up until last year when I went to France, so I guess it helps if you're enthusiastic.

On another note, if you're reading this Deus - please accept me into this soc! :frown: I'm afraid I've been using this thread for illegal conversation; I'm not actually a member yet. :eek: I know, it's scandalous.
haha did you apply yet? he'd add you if you did.

I want to learn Mandarin because Im totally obsessed with Chinese culture and dramas...it would be much easier for me to know Chinese to see the dramas when they come instead of having to wait for them to be dubbed in Viet which takes a long time. there isnt an alphabet per se, but I agree that hte amount you need to know and learn from scratch for Mand B would be rather a lot... what with having to learn all the characters AND their pinyin...
Reply 388
I applied two days ago, but still no acceptance. I guess he's just too busy finishing his Psychology book. *bows down in reverence* :adore:

Anywho, I'm going to go skipping off to bed now because it's 2:30 in the morning. Well actually, I'm going to turn my laptop off and rearrange myself in a horizontal position, because I'm already in bed. Bless you, wireless internet. :smile: 'Night all!
I'm in bed with a laptop as well. yes, the world's greatest invention = wirelessi internet lol... Night
I'm Nick and I'm an IB survivor (kinda). Let's just say that if the IB were a shipwreck I wouldn't be with the people in the lifeboats. I'd be one of the guys clinging to planks of wood, half-conscious, with sharks circling around him.

i.e. I'm on borrowed time here. My attendance is close to the limit (of not getting the diploma), I suck at math and I'm lazy as hell so my weekly average of actually working and studying is about 30 minutes to an hour max.

It's all good though, because somehow my predicted grade has ended up being 38/39 (with bonus points)... I just hope I don't end up failing because of math: I heard that if you get less than 4 in an exam you fail the diploma.
Reply 391
yea you do.. what are ur subjects? and how did u manage a 37-39 predicteced? :eek:
I work about minimum 2-3 hours a day and my predicted is a 34! (without bonus points)!!!
actually you can get less than a 4 and still get a diploma but it's complicated. I think it was discussed either in the ealier pages of this thread or in some other threads. but dont risk getting less than a 4 in any subject
~Lc~
yea you do.. what are ur subjects? and how did u manage a 37-39 predicteced? :eek:
I work about minimum 2-3 hours a day and my predicted is a 34! (without bonus points)!!!

I take History HL, English A1 HL, French A2 HL, Geography SL, Ecosystems and Math Studies. I guess I'm pretty good at everything except maths (got a 4 predicted... and even that's optimistic).

Oh and HMS, I'm glad you can get less than 4 in an exam (not that I'm counting on doing that, but I am accepting it as a distinct possibility where maths is concerned).
Reply 394
nickjohnson
Let's just say that if the IB were a shipwreck I wouldn't be with the people in the lifeboats. I'd be one of the guys clinging to planks of wood, half-conscious, with sharks circling around him.

:rofl:

This is precisely how I feel most of the time too, to be honest.

If only those lurking sharks would give me enough motivation to pull myself together and get some work done...
Reply 395
here are the failing conditions :
http://www.tulsaschools.org/schools/washington/ib/diploma/conditions.htm
Osmosis posted it a while back... or was it o.Ob... I'm not sure but there it is again...
ur subjects are pretty easy (refering to math studies and eco and geography) good luck with the history and english though!
and get a math tutor:p: studies isn't that bad... hehe
Reply 396
Caitlin
Yeah, I guess you're right... Well then, I find it cool that you can speak English! :p: It's great that you're bilingual in any case.

As for Mandarin, surely that would be a really hard language to do ab initio. The first year exams would just be comprised of the student reciting the alphabet or something... :s-smilie: I've never been particularly good at Asian languages - I did Japanese for 9 years, and now I don't remember a word of it. Mind you, I wasn't particularly motivated to learn another language up until last year when I went to France, so I guess it helps if you're enthusiastic.

Come to think of it, it would be hard for those just learning the language to take ab initio and even harder for those in B ... Oh well, I like it how IB includes group 2 of the diploma - I would've never otherwise taken up French.

But even so, I'm a sad case. I'm Chinese and very distant from my culture. I grew up speaking a dialect (and Cantonese) at home but since I've started attending school, my knowledge of it has been progressing at a very slow rate (not necessarily losing it). My mom even got me to attend Saturday Chinese school to learn Mandarin but after a few years, I've learnt nothing. I really hate my classes since we don't learn anything so I suppose I don't have that 'enthusiasm' for it at the moment. So yeah, enthusiasm does play a role. I mean, my French improved so much over a few months just because of the fact that I wanted to learn the language. Hopefully one of these days, I'll get around to doing that with Chinese *sighs*

HMSChocolate
lol the coolness if relative I think. consideing I am Viet it would be rather disconcerting if I didn't speak the language...

*sighs even more*
It's cool that a lot of you guys are fluent in multiple languages. I can only say that I'm fluent in English ... with no way of me being otherwise anytime soon :rolleyes:

~Lc~
here are the failing conditions :
http://www.tulsaschools.org/schools/washington/ib/diploma/conditions.htm
Osmosis posted it a while back... or was it o.Ob... I'm not sure but there it is again...
ur subjects are pretty easy (refering to math studies and eco and geography) good luck with the history and english though!
and get a math tutor:p: studies isn't that bad... hehe

I think both of us posted it in different threads at one point ...
Reply 397
oob
*sighs even more*
It's cool that a lot of you guys are fluent in multiple languages. I can only say that I'm fluent in English ... with no way of me being otherwise anytime soon

well oob to rub it in much more.. I'm fluent in 3:p: and oka in another one..(greek) so I could've chosen any 2 for group 2:p:
Reply 398
Thanks ~Lc~. That makes me feel so much better :p:

What languages do you speak, then?
Reply 399
Woot! Count me in! I'm an IB survivor. Yep, that's right!

Latest

Trending

Trending