The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Post-application Open Day worth it?

After getting an offer for Physics I was recently allocated to Grey college and invited to have a look around the college and department on a post-application open day. Problem is, Durham is FAR so it's a good 4 hours to get there even by train, and it would also take up 2 days of school, and I don't really want to get behind on schoolwork.

I'm already pretty sure that Durham will be my firm choice on UCAS so I'm wondering if taking the time off school to go to the open day would be worth it or not. What does everyone else think about this?
Unless you doubt it's where you want to go, it probably isn't worth it, although a visit at some point before you start might be a good idea if you have any nerves about going?
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 2
Durham is about 4 and a half hours from me, but I can't make my mind up on where to go so I don't have much choice :tongue:
I would recommend going actually! It's a really really good way of finding out what Durham is like, and is just honestly loads of fun and a great experience. For me it definitely made my decision to firm Durham so much easier, and I was much less worried as a result even when leaving home to go to university! As much as anything it's really nice meeting people who are going to be in your college and study your subject - I left the open day with a few friends who I've remained friends with since!

Also with regards to missing school - I live a similar distance away from Durham when at home, what I did was ask my teachers for work and I did it on the train so I was never behind!

Quick Reply

Latest