The Student Room Group

Applying to the same Tesco store where I worked as a Xmas temp. No interview?

So I worked as a xmas temp for 2 months at a store and wasn't kept because the store didnt have enough hours. While leaving, my line manager said that if any opening pop up after new year, do apply and they will be happy to take me in.

There was a recent opening for 1 colleague, so I applied. Kept waiting for right to work mail, it came exactly on the application deadline date, now its been a week since deadline has passed but neither received a call for interview nor does the application status updates on the portal. It still shows as "Application Under Review", I have applied to many other stores but never have they taken 1 week after deadline to update my status. Does this mean I am still being considered or should I simply assume I didnt get it.

Should I contact my line manager ? I mean I dont get why I wouldn't even be considered for an interview, the hours posted are all aligned with my schedule too.
(edited 2 months ago)
Original post by Maaz228
So I worked as a xmas temp for 2 months at a store and wasn't kept because the store didnt have enough hours. While leaving, my line manager said that if any opening pop up after new year, do apply and they will be happy to take me in.

There was a recent opening for 1 colleague, so I applied. Kept waiting for right to work mail, it came exactly on the application deadline date, now its been a week since deadline has passed but neither received a call for interview nor does the application status updates on the portal. It still shows as "Application Under Review", I have applied to many other stores but never have they taken 1 week after deadline to update my status. Does this mean I am still being considered or should I simply assume I didnt get it.

Should I contact my line manager ? I mean I dont get why I wouldn't even be considered for an interview, the hours posted are all aligned with my schedule too.

If the application still says "under review" then they must still be considering it and there is still hope. Surely it would come up as unsuccessful/declines or whatever if you didn't get it.
Id give it a bit longer yet. If by Friday nothing has changed, then it may be worth getting in contact with them for an update.
Reply 2
Original post by Maaz228

You previously worked in Tesco as Xmas temp staff member and was released apparently due to not enough hours ( you could have took less hours for time being) and then keep eye on jobs situation and apply for a permanent job when something else can available.

They usually either give you a extended contract or permanent job offer and if they fill the amount of vacancies up for permanent jobs then whoever is left are paid off.

You can apply for anything else available in the Tesco store you were working in or another store within reasonable reach for yourself.
Management doesn't always keep their words to people.

Now if you haven't yet received anything back from Tesco regarding the recent job application then you either take it is still being reviewed as still doing applications for it or perhaps going through all the applications and decide who'll get a interview. They can take a week to ten days before even notifying anyone about interview or unsuccessful. Give them few days longer and then perhaps pop into the store and speak to the manager and ask about the situation okay.

Unfortunately doesn't matter how well, or how much promises you were given by your manager or line manager that doesn't mean you'll be offered anything but hopefully you'll get something from them.

All I would suggest is keep applying for jobs with Tesco within your local areas and see what happens......if you get a offer from another store before the one you worked in previously you should consider it but there's nothing stopping you accepting the job from the store you worked in before Xmas and just notify the other store you don't want the job now due to the offer.
A team leader and stand in supervisor as required for Tesco.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending