The Student Room Group
Students on campus
York St John University
York
Visit website

Is the decision day worth it if you live far away?

I’ve got an offer from York St John, and received an email about a “decision day”, but I live 4 hours from the uni so travelling there and back for the day would take a lot of time. Should I still go? Is it very different from the open day? I don’t have any further questions that weren’t answered by the open day or uni website
Original post by Anonymous #1
I’ve got an offer from York St John, and received an email about a “decision day”, but I live 4 hours from the uni so travelling there and back for the day would take a lot of time. Should I still go? Is it very different from the open day? I don’t have any further questions that weren’t answered by the open day or uni website

Hi there!
'Decision days' or 'applicant days' are often completely different from the university's open day. The aim is to give applicants more of a hands-on experience of what it would be like to study at the university. For example, at Hope, students experience taster sessions of their courses, to see if the university and course is right for them.

It's also useful to have a second look at the university- open days are often so full of information that it's hard to take everything in. Decision days give you the chance to ask any lingering questions, and make sure you're happy with your decision to study there.

If you're worried about the travel time, it might be worth asking the university if they have any hotel facilities on or near the campus for you to stay at the night before. Often universities have a few rooms available for visitors, or they may be able to cover your travel expenses for the visit.

Best of luck!

-Ella
Graduate Advocate
Students on campus
York St John University
York
Visit website
Original post by Anonymous #1

Hi there,

It is honestly completely up to you if you would like to come to a decision day or not and whether you feel it is worth it for helping with your decision. They are offered to all of our 'offer holders' to give them a chance to look around the university, view accommodations, talk to the academics and student ambassadors about the course to help aid prospective students with their university decisions. During our decision days you will be able to explore the city as well and get a feel for the place which you may end up living.

If you are unable to come to a decision day in person you are more than welcome to get in touch with some of the academics with any questions you may have about your course or even attend our online decision day.

If you are interested in attending our decision days we have one on Saturday 17th February and one Wednesday 27th March. Our online open day is Wednesday 29th May.

I hope this helps 😊
Katie - Student Ambassador

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending