The Student Room Group

Do intelligent people tend to be more depressed?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Iheartnerds
Having a stronger intellect than average results in a natural curiosity and questioning; the intelligent are more likely to interrogate their external world, finding flaws in social systems or the nature of life in general, as much as they are more likely to investigate themselves internally, causing an introspection that illuminates the flaws in themselves. Normally, the intelligent are also realists, which makes them more honest, and as a consequence of that, more brutal, in their worldly evaluation, to the point that it obscures reality [which is what depression is, to an extent].

As the maxim goes, 'ignorance is bliss'.

Omg I cringed so hard at this post. Did you really type this with a straight face? This is so embarrassing.

> I am unhappy
> provides pseudo-intellectual explanation for why intelligent people are apparently more unhappy than the average joe
> Ergo I am intelligent and my depression and general low-mood are proof of my mental prowess.

CRINGE CRINGE CRINGE.
(edited 9 years ago)
Yes.

Being stupid would be nice I suppose. No thinking involved.
Reply 22
Original post by Colonel Agansu
Omg I cringed so hard at this post. Did you really type this with a straight face? This is so embarrassing.

> I am unhappy
> Intelligent people are more unhappy than the average joe
> Ergo I am intelligent and my depression and general low-mood are proof of my mental prowess.

CRINGE CRINGE CRINGE.

Other research supporting a link between intelligence and mental health problems shows bipolar disorder may be four times as common among young adults who’d earned straight-A’s in school. Though long suspected, evidence for this connection was found by researchers at King’s College London, in a collaboration with the Karolinska Institutet in Sweden by comparing Swedish national school records to diagnoses for the disorder. “We found that achieving an A grade is associated with increased risk for bipolar disorder, particularly in humanities and to a lesser extent in science subjects,” lead researcher James MacCabe, wrote in a study published in the British Journal of Psychiatry. “These findings provide support for the hypothesis that exceptional intellectual ability is associated with bipolar disorder.”

read em and weep jackass
Original post by L'Evil Fish
Yes.

Being stupid would be nice I suppose. No thinking involved.

Not sure which I'd prefer. Stupid, happy and blissfully gliding through life, OR, intelligent, thoughtful and trudging through like over-thinking everything!
Original post by Kaiju
Other research supporting a link between intelligence and mental health problems shows bipolar disorder may be four times as common among young adults who’d earned straight-A’s in school. Though long suspected, evidence for this connection was found by researchers at King’s College London, in a collaboration with the Karolinska Institutet in Sweden by comparing Swedish national school records to diagnoses for the disorder. “We found that achieving an A grade is associated with increased risk for bipolar disorder, particularly in humanities and to a lesser extent in science subjects,” lead researcher James MacCabe, wrote in a study published in the British Journal of Psychiatry. “These findings provide support for the hypothesis that exceptional intellectual ability is associated with bipolar disorder.”

read em and weep jackass

Well done on the confirmation bias. This paragraph copy/pasta really says no such thing as high IQ causes bi-polar disorder. What studies? Who did they test? Moreover where did you copy and paste this from?

Lol if you want to entertain delusions of your indefatigable mental capacity and support it with your ****ty personality and looniness go ahead but I'll take the piss out of you all the same.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 25
Well done on the confirmation bias. This paragraph copy/pasta really says no such thing as high IQ causes bi-polar disorder. What studies? Who did they test? Moreover where did you copy and paste this from?

Lol if you want to entertain delusions of your indefatigable mental capacity and support it with your ****ty personality and looniness go ahead but I'll take the piss out of you all the same.

no confirmation bias considering i'm not one of the people saying i'm depressed - if anything i'm intelligent and happy af - congratulations on proving your point tho

EDIT: 10/10 strawman
my post literally consisted of the paragraph - i didn't say anything regarding my opinion on it.
to say i'm claiming that high IQ causes bi-polar disorder is ridiculous bruh, i didn't say anything at all
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by SiminaM
If yes, then I'm a ****ing genius

Now that's a sign that are you not that intelligent. :fyi:

1. Just because intelligent people tend to be more depressed it does not follow that depressed people tend to be more intelligent. :wink:

Intelligent people can identify invalid probabilistic inferences. :biggrin:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Kaiju

read em and weep jackass

Straight As, so they couldn't even get one A*. Dumb or averagely intelligent people being four times more likely to have bipolar disorder doesn't support the points you're trying to make.
Reply 28
Living in an idiocracy can be pretty depressing.

It's not just the fact that so many people are really stupid. It's that the government actively panders to the stupidest people. Instead of government trying to foster the best society, the loudest and stupidest in society influence the government to implement their hair-brained schemes.

You would have to be an idiot to be happy in such a system.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Kaiju
no confirmation bias considering i'm not one of the people saying i'm depressed - if anything i'm intelligent and happy af - congratulations on proving your point tho

EDIT: 10/10 strawman
my post literally consisted of the paragraph - i didn't say anything regarding my opinion on it.
to say i'm claiming that high IQ causes bi-polar disorder is ridiculous bruh, i didn't say anything at all

Love the last-minute edit. I guess you saw how pathetic you looked and thought you'd throw a last hail mary alas it failed as well because frankly I don't give a toss about a wuss like you.

That's an interesting question. I've noticed the less intelligent of my friends seem happier but who can say what's really happening in their lives?

One thing I can say is that they seem more oblivious to some things which, if it were me, would make me depressed but that could be due to overthinking on my part rather than intelligence...
Reply 31
Original post by morgan8002
Straight As, so they couldn't even get one A*. Dumb or averagely intelligent people being four times more likely to have bipolar disorder doesn't support the points you're trying to make.

i'm not trying to make any points

Love the last-minute edit. I guess you saw how pathetic you looked and thought you'd throw a last hail mary alas it failed as well because frankly I don't give a toss about a wuss like you.

i edited it because i thought you might not have gotten the first time that i -hadn't made a claim-

guess not

why am i a wuss tho
i ay even scared brah wat u sayin
Reply 32
I don't know. I was depressed for a time.

I thought I was smart enough to see the reasons that justified feeling miserable. But the reality was I wasn't smart enough to see the reasons that justified happiness.
Reply 33

where does food come into this?:biggrin:
Original post by dani t
where does food come into this?:biggrin:

Original post by MarchingBand2015
I have to say yes on this one. It is harder to find your place in society, especially if you're like a high school kid who studies all the time while everyone around you hangs with their friends or parties. Its not socially "cool" to be smart where I live, maybe in other countries. Oh well. I'm glad I'm smart... :smile:

I agree that at school, the more intelligent a person is, the more of a social outcast they are likely to be (generally speaking). But outside of school, intelligent people may have better career prospects, and live a more economically stable, happier life.
Original post by yabbayabba
Stupid people are less aware of how **** life is. So yes.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You don't need to be intelligent to think that. Lol @ you thinking you're smart because you believe the world sucks.
I suppose it comes down to the possibility that intelligent people are more inclined to over-think things, those 'things' being less superficial and more conceptual and existential as a whole. They seek to rationalise and dissect the ideas which they have no control over, and this can sometimes manifest itself as an extremely isolating and damaging experience, because they rarely find people who can think on their level.

But depression (and intelligence in fact) comes in many different forms.
Original post by Iheartnerds
Having a stronger intellect than average results in a natural curiosity and questioning; the intelligent are more likely to interrogate their external world, finding flaws in social systems or the nature of life in general, as much as they are more likely to investigate themselves internally, causing an introspection that illuminates the flaws in themselves. Normally, the intelligent are also realists, which makes them more honest, and as a consequence of that, more brutal, in their worldly evaluation, to the point that it obscures reality [which is what depression is, to an extent].

As the maxim goes, 'ignorance is bliss'.

this

when an intelligent person has low self-esteem due to being ostracised from peers in childhood and/or ongoing adulthood they also tend to compensate with maladaptive perfectionism.

Controversial counterpoint however-depression makes even smart people stupid. As their high stress levels, sleep deprivation or general feelings of being overwhelmed and in despair invites the way in for various cognitive fallacies.

Intelligent realist thinking critically =/= depressive rationalisations

> I am unhappy
> provides pseudo-intellectual explanation for why intelligent people are apparently more unhappy than the average joe

CRINGE CRINGE CRINGE.

You are placing judgement value upon a statement that I did not even make in my original post.

I didn't say, explicitly or implicitly, 'I am depressed, therefore I am intelligent', nor 'I am intelligent, therefore I am depressed'. I stated [in a later post]: 'I was depressed'.

My original post was a personal theory [based on empirical evidence from my work with a mental health charity, so perhaps not 'pseudo-intellectual', but certainly not 'intellectual' in the traditional sense, I agree] due to the number of highly intelligent individuals I have met who have suffered from depression, whether mild or severe.

It was not a personal vindication, for my depression was caused by a number of family factors, and not because I had an existential crisis or because I was disillusioned with the world.

Intelligent people tend to be more depressed, not intelligent people are depressed.

Quick Reply

Latest