The Student Room Group

Struggling to talk with people and hold conversations

Ive always been quite quiet but i got a lot worse while i was depressed and smoking weed heavily daily, got to the point where i actively disliked talking to people and avoided social situations as much as possible. I think the weed just fried my brain as well because my brain goes completely blank and i cant think of anything to say at all in a conversation.

Im a lot better now mentally and just smoke the odd joint here and there but trying to talk to people is just so awkward now i have 0 idea what im doing

I genuinely feel like an npc because sometimes the only things i come out with when i talk to people are a “yeah” , a nervous laugh or a “shit man”.

Ive watched loads of videos about it and i do try to actively listen, ask related questions and all that but i feel like i just turn conversations into interviews and make the other person uncomfortable. Ive also found that a lot of people just dont try to talk back even when they initiated the conversation and i end up standing in silence then because ive got nothing to go off.

Im not sure what else i can do to improve. I force myself into social situations and try to talk to people pretty much every day but im just not getting any better. Any advice or tips would be a great help
Reply 1
Everyone has to start somewhere, speaking and communicating well is a skill that requires practice, don't be afraid of making mistakes or feeling awkward. Speak to people who want to listen to you and value what you have to say. Another great thing to do is to start reading, read books on how to improve your life, finance etc and it will help you become a better speaker, learn more words and sound more intelligent.

Quick Reply

Latest