The Student Room Group

applying to A*A*A courses

I got an AAC in my A levels (A in maths and CS, C in Physics).
im taking a gap year now and resitting A level maths as-well as taking A level further maths.
if im predicted A*A* in my maths and further maths for next years exam, can i then apply to an A*A*A course with A*A*AC?
the course i want to get into is KCL computer science (artificial intelligence) which requires A*A*A with A in maths.
Original post by Hiim
im taking a gap year now and resitting A level maths as-well as taking A level further maths.
if im predicted A*A* in my maths and further maths for next years exam, can i then apply to an A*A*A course with A*A*AC?
the course i want to get into is KCL computer science (artificial intelligence) which requires A*A*A with A in maths.

Yes, you can apply.

I assume by "computer science (artificial intelligence)" you're referring to either their Computer Science BSc or their Artificial Intelligence BSc course, as King's do not offer an undergraduate course named "computer science (artificial intelligence)".

Note that King's say their Computer Science BSc page here that, "In a standard admissions cycle, we are able to consider applicants who have retaken their qualifications, however, you should bear in mind that your application for this programme will be reviewed alongside other strong applicants who might be viewed more favourably if they achieved the required grades within a standard timeframe, for example, a two year period for A-levels."

Their Artificial Intelligence BSc page here does not contain that same text. That would tend to suggest that an application to Artificial Intelligence BSc might have more chance of success.
Reply 2
Original post by DataVenia
Yes, you can apply.

I assume by "computer science (artificial intelligence)" you're referring to either their Computer Science BSc or their Artificial Intelligence BSc course, as King's do not offer an undergraduate course named "computer science (artificial intelligence)".

Note that King's say their Computer Science BSc page here that, "In a standard admissions cycle, we are able to consider applicants who have retaken their qualifications, however, you should bear in mind that your application for this programme will be reviewed alongside other strong applicants who might be viewed more favourably if they achieved the required grades within a standard timeframe, for example, a two year period for A-levels."

Their Artificial Intelligence BSc page here does not contain that same text. That would tend to suggest that an application to Artificial Intelligence BSc might have more chance of success.

Yes its the BSc Artificial Intelligence course. However, ive been told as im over 18 i wont be applying to universities with predicted grades. This is worrying me as i achieved AAC which is way below the entry requirements leading to an automatic rejection. How can i possible apply if the unis wont see my further maths?
Reply 3
Original post by Hiim

Personally I'd say that there's no point resitting maths if you got an A in it. If you were to resit something it should probably be physics instead of taking a whole new A level. Your approach is really inefficient and I would honestly say its a waste of time, but if you do go ahead with this then you could most likely apply for the course but whenever unis say on the website that they "may" consider applicants, most of the time you are at an extreme disadvantage, especially for a A*A*A course. I would be surprised if you get in, but its possible.
Original post by Hiim
Yes its the BSc Artificial Intelligence course. However, ive been told as im over 18 i wont be applying to universities with predicted grades. This is worrying me as i achieved AAC which is way below the entry requirements leading to an automatic rejection. How can i possible apply if the unis wont see my further maths?

You have been mislead, I'm afraid. Your age has nothing to do with making predicted grades available to universities.

When you complete you're UCAS application for 2024 entry you'll enter the all the qualifications you have, together with all the grades you have achieved. You'll then enter the qualifications you'll be taking before joining university. In your case, this would be Maths and Further Maths - for which the grade would be Pending. (This means, by the way, that you'd enter Maths twice - once with an actual grade and once as Pending.)

Once you've complete the UCAS application (including adding your personal statement, which could simply be the same as last time - or you could tweak it a bit), you submit it and it goes to your referee. Who will be your referee this time around?

In the ideal world, it would be your school/college, and they would be able to provide an academic reference (probably identical to last time) and - importantly - predicted grades for Maths and Further Maths. You existing school in a good position to make those predictions.

If you're doing your resits as a private candidate, you may not want (or be able) to use the school/college you've just left as the referee. This would make thing more complicated, both from the perspective of the reference and the predicted grades. Would you be using a tutor or any organisation to help you with the Maths retake and with Further Maths? If so, then they could be you referee.

Applying without a referee (which you can so, technically) really isn't a good idea.

Quick Reply

Latest