The Student Room Group

41 men targeted but 1,147 people killed: US drone strikes

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jemner01
Leave them to cock up their own country, remove any and all military presence from foreign soil and use the very same troops that were previously "fighting terrorism" to bolster domestic defence. Alternatively, all of the above but slash military funding, downsize the number of troops and retire/sell off unecessary equipment.

In other words, leave the Taliban to **** up people's lives with no consequence.

What can I say.

The fact that you consider any country as belonging to the Taliban indicates your moral emptiness and how utterly useless you are in this discussion.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by MatureStudent36
Pay them off with women, drugs and hookers

I was being serious...
Original post by Toxic_Legends
Along with ISIS, the only way to defeat them is by having a Sunni uprising, this will happen when people actually read the Quraan and understand that Islam is suppose to be a religion of peace and these people are nothing more than terrorists. This has worked in the past (2004- Iraqi Sunnis stopped an ISIS uprising by fighting them) and it will work again.

ISIS is a Sunni (or at least Wahhabist) uprising...

The correct answer is that the only way to defeat them is with Western democracy, along with lots and lots of lead.
(edited 9 years ago)
That 41 out of 1147 sounds a bit misleading, I mean, are we supposed to believe that the other 1106 were all just innocent civilians forced to be near those 41 targets against their will? I'll be a significant number of them will have been ISIS savages and their sympathisers too.
Original post by felamaslen
I was being serious...

So am I. After spending some time in Afghanistan I've yet to see an afghan or taliban who can't be bought off with then most basic of things.
Reply 45
Thats pretty disgraceful.
So am I. After spending some time in Afghanistan I've yet to see an afghan or taliban who can't be bought off with then most basic of things.

In the case of Taliban, a bullet to the head is more effective and probably cheaper.

In the case of an ordinary Afghan, well drugs and hookers are not exactly going to increase their well-being, plus how many hookers can you find?
ISIS is a Sunni (or at least Wahhabist) uprising...

The correct answer is that the only way to defeat them is with Western democracy, along with lots and lots of lead.

Yes, ISIS is a Sunni uprising lol but there needs to be another one, this time with moderate Sunnis.
I have been saving this one.

Well, no-one's forcing islamists to make trouble.
In other words, leave the Taliban to **** up people's lives with no consequence.

What can I say.

The fact that you consider any country as belonging to the Taliban indicates your moral emptiness and how utterly useless you are in this discussion.

Sorry, that was poorly worded. I don't mean to say the Taliban or IS own the country they operate in- I mean to say they are the responsibility of the government which rules in the country they operate in. When IS start an uprising in the UK and start to take over towns and cities, by all means the government should step in and put them down. Until then, what goes on in other countries is not our responsibility, and we shouldn't get ourselves in debt over politically-motivated wars (exibit a- USA)
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Jemner01
Sorry, that was poorly worded. I don't mean to say the Taliban or IS own the country they operate in- I mean to say they are the responsibility of the government which rules in the country they operate in. When IS start an uprising in the UK and start to take over towns and cities, by all means the government should step in and put them down. Until then, what goes on in other countries is not our responsibility, and we shouldn't get ourselves in debt over politically-motivated wars (exibit a- USA)

Do you think it was wrong to prevent the Nazis from taking over Europe?
Original post by Toxic_Legends
Yes, ISIS is a Sunni uprising lol but there needs to be another one, this time with moderate Sunnis.

There needs to be a democratic uprising. I don't care if the democrats say they are Sunni muslims. I would rather they were secular atheists but it doesn't matter; the main thing is that they are (liberal) democrats.
There needs to be a democratic uprising. I don't care if the democrats say they are Sunni muslims. I would rather they were secular atheists but it doesn't matter; the main thing is that they are (liberal) democrats.

It's these democratic uprisings in the Middle East that create the problems.

Arabs don't seem to be able to operate in a democracy. They keep on voting in religious nutters.
And meanwhile our Muslim brethren in between abusing children, equally abusing animals ons some cases and treating women like dirt have had resounding succeses in promoting equality, democracy and economic growth.

So we lower ourselves to their level, rather than set an example, right?
They keep on voting in religious nutters.

And why do you think that is?
Blaming 'drones' for what they do is like blaming cars for car crashes.

The uneducated masses seem to attribute some bizarre personality to those machines just because the pilot isn't on-board (and yes, they do, contrary to public belief, actually have pilots).

Don't blame the machines. Blame the people who set the rules for how they're used.
Original post by frankieboy
So we lower ourselves to their level, rather than set an example, right?

Or acknowledge that large amounts of people in the world don't share our values.
Original post by frankieboy
And why do you think that is?

A massive increase in birth rates and survival rates, crumbling infrastructure combined with the fact that the most prolific higher education course is islamic studies.
It's these democratic uprisings in the Middle East that create the problems.

Arabs don't seem to be able to operate in a democracy. They keep on voting in religious nutters.

Yeah that's why I qualified it with "liberal".

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending