The Student Room Group
Manchester Metropolitan University
Manchester

Cavendish Halls at Manchester Metropolitan??

Hey guys,

I'm starting uni in September 2015 and I know its a little early but I'm just checking out the halls now.

I haven't seen many reviews on the Cavendish halls, £89 per week, I'm looking to get the cheapest accommodation possible so as to save money but I also want to be comfortable and sociable as I'll be away from home.

What do you guys think?? Please reply!!xx
DO NOT GO THERE!

I spent my first year at Canvendish and hated it. I was also looking for the cheapest accommodation so Cavendish looked great but once i arrived i could see why, the rooms are tiny and similar to a jail cell, i wasn't expecting a 5 star hotel but i wasnt impressed. On the website they boast a super-fast broadband, that's a joke. my xbox stayed in the box after 3 hours on the phone trying to sort out the connection, and it was no better for my phone or laptop. Now on to the kitchen, if you like sharing a small room with 17 people this is the place to be, it was completely cramped and practically unbearable, the oven looked like it was from the 50s and took ages to cook a pizza, you couldn't keep anything to yourself, i lost several pans in the first week. And by far the worst part of this nightmare was the showers, 2 showers in the same room for 10 people to share, they were disgusting, rarely cleaned and no lock. the only redeeming factors are that you're next to the Uni, there's plenty of shops close by, and the staff are usually friendly.

other factors i didnt include

you have to walk up 5 flights of stairs everytime
there's no cold water in the taps in you're room
the walls are paper thin so sounds travel far
no security, anyone could walk in during the day

trust me, do not go here, the better halls are further away from the Uni, as they have to accommodate to the fact there a bus ride away.

hope i helped :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Manchester Metropolitan University
Manchester
Reply 2
I live there currently. its cold and loud but you get what you paid for. the rooms are the same sizes as Cambridge Halls and for uni accommodation pretty big in my eyes! I live with 11 other people who are all really nice but there are lots of parties that keep me up! the lift takes you to the 3rd floor then you have to walk to the next three floors but ive been doing it for 5 months and its fine.
There is 24 hour security, not sure what that guy is talking about. I recently spent some time at the uni of leeds and their most expensive accommodation was worse than Cav, and not many other halls have security.

I'd live here again because the social side of these halls are awesome! you get used to everything else!

The halls are very close to uni, ive manages to wake up 5 minutes before a lecture and still make it in on time!

The halls are cleaned daily! bins changes, showers and toilets cleaned and everywhere hovered and swept, no other halls have this much cleaning. The cleaners obviously wont start washing dishes and some kitchens are pretty gross but I never have any problems.

Cavendish has many bad points, in my first month here i hated and loathed it, then after a while you get used to it and start liking it!!

its not that bad...
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by LME2015
I live there currently. its cold and loud but you get what you paid for. the rooms are the same sizes as Cambridge Halls and for uni accommodation pretty big in my eyes! I live with 11 other people who are all really nice but there are lots of parties that keep me up! the lift takes you to the 3rd floor then you have to walk to the next three floors but ive been doing it for 5 months and its fine.
There is 24 hour security, not sure what that guy is talking about. I recently spent some time at the uni of leeds and their most expensive accommodation was worse than Cav, and not many other halls have security.

I'd live here again because the social side of these halls are awesome! you get used to everything else!

The halls are very close to uni, ive manages to wake up 5 minutes before a lecture and still make it in on time!

The halls are cleaned daily! bins changes, showers and toilets cleaned and everywhere hovered and swept, no other halls have this much cleaning. The cleaners obviously wont start washing dishes and some kitchens are pretty gross but I never have any problems.

Cavendish has many bad points, in my first month here i hated and loathed it, then after a while you get used to it and start liking it!!

its not that bad...

Many Thanks
I'm currently living in Cavendish Halls 4th floor. In terms of money, you get what you pay for I guess but I know people that live in Cambridge Halls (which is like £115 I think?) and have seen the state of some of the flats and facilities and would actually say that Cavendish is slightly better. Our showers and toilets are better than Cambridge because they're cleaned every week day as opposed to once a week!

If you want peace and quiet, go somewhere else because like the person above me said, the walls are thin and I live two doors down from the kitchen so I hear everyone partying etc. My window isn't great as can hear everything that's happening outside, but the windows are large and I have amazing view towards Old Trafford which I can see lit up in red at night, so there are some benefits :smile:

In response to the person talking about no security... that's a load of rubbish! Theres a door you have to swipe into reception (and if you look like you don't live there the people at the desk will ask you if you live here and to show them your keys!), get the lift or stairs to 3rd floor, use a key to get through another door, and then however many flights of stairs up to you bedroom which obviously has a lock.

Under no circumstances leave your stuff in the kitchen like pots and pans... it will go missing! Our kitchen was really communal in the first few weeks and we shared but then things weren't getting cleaned, going missing, getting broken... it was not good. Oh and invest in 3 padlocks - one for your fridge cage, one for freezer cage and one for your cupboard. Random people will come into the kitchen when you're not there and still yo stuff!

All in all though, I like Cavendish. I've met some really great people and friends from all over the place (the kitchen down from us has been dubbed the 'international' kitchen as that's where all the exchange people seem to have ended up!) If you can put up with some crap, it's pretty good considering you can spend that extra bit of money you might have spent on pricier halls on food etc.

Good luck!
Reply 5
Original post by ameliemily
I'm currently living in Cavendish Halls 4th floor. In terms of money, you get what you pay for I guess but I know people that live in Cambridge Halls (which is like £115 I think?) and have seen the state of some of the flats and facilities and would actually say that Cavendish is slightly better. Our showers and toilets are better than Cambridge because they're cleaned every week day as opposed to once a week!

If you want peace and quiet, go somewhere else because like the person above me said, the walls are thin and I live two doors down from the kitchen so I hear everyone partying etc. My window isn't great as can hear everything that's happening outside, but the windows are large and I have amazing view towards Old Trafford which I can see lit up in red at night, so there are some benefits :smile:

In response to the person talking about no security... that's a load of rubbish! Theres a door you have to swipe into reception (and if you look like you don't live there the people at the desk will ask you if you live here and to show them your keys!), get the lift or stairs to 3rd floor, use a key to get through another door, and then however many flights of stairs up to you bedroom which obviously has a lock.

Under no circumstances leave your stuff in the kitchen like pots and pans... it will go missing! Our kitchen was really communal in the first few weeks and we shared but then things weren't getting cleaned, going missing, getting broken... it was not good. Oh and invest in 3 padlocks - one for your fridge cage, one for freezer cage and one for your cupboard. Random people will come into the kitchen when you're not there and still yo stuff!

All in all though, I like Cavendish. I've met some really great people and friends from all over the place (the kitchen down from us has been dubbed the 'international' kitchen as that's where all the exchange people seem to have ended up!) If you can put up with some crap, it's pretty good considering you can spend that extra bit of money you might have spent on pricier halls on food etc.

Good luck!

Thank you
any advice on Cambridge?
also why on the website does it say for Cavendish 'individual rooms' when on the other halls it says like '7 per flat' ? hheeellppp

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending