The Student Room Group

French or German GCSE?

^What this says. So basically which one is more enjoyable, which one is easier, which one has a heavier workload, and which one would you recommend overall (I pick my GCSE options very soon)?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

At my school most people took french over german because it was easier to learn for them.

I enjoy French but as I have no experience of doing a German GCSE I couldn't really tell you what that's like.
french ftwwwww, i love it & do it for AS now..its easy to get an A* imo

german looks incredibly difficult
Reply 3
Original post by Elijah Wilkinson
^What this says. So basically which one is more enjoyable, which one is easier, which one has a heavier workload, and which one would you recommend overall (I pick my GCSE options very soon)?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Very similar subjects and exam structures, apart from the actual language. The best advice is to pick the one you're best at. I did both in one option block, so from my experience i found french easier, since i had been learning it longer. However it is worth noting that i had a different experience, squeezing all of french into year 10 and all of german into year 11. So basically, do the one you're currently best at.
I disagree to the others, and I studied French and German. In my opinion German is by far easier because it's a phonetic language and very similar to English. But what language did you study from year 7-9?
Original post by Retired_Messiah
At my school most people took french over german because it was easier to learn for them.

I enjoy French but as I have no experience of doing a German GCSE I couldn't really tell you what that's like.

Thanks! I just can't make my mind up on which I enjoy more though!! It changes constantly!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Yasmin-9970
french ftwwwww, i love it & do it for AS now..its easy to get an A* imo

german looks incredibly difficult

Thanks but is it really that easy?? I've heard it's difficult although I guess it all depends on the person.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by UT97
Very similar subjects and exam structures, apart from the actual language. The best advice is to pick the one you're best at. I did both in one option block, so from my experience i found french easier, since i had been learning it longer. However it is worth noting that i had a different experience, squeezing all of french into year 10 and all of german into year 11. So basically, do the one you're currently best at.

Thanks you, I'm slightly better at French because I have been learning it since year 7 and German since year 8, and I was going to definitely pick both, however, that would make it unlatched for me to do history and that is a subject I definitely want to take. Which one do you enjoy more (in terms of the gcse course)?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks but is it really that easy?? I've heard it's difficult although I guess it all depends on the person.

Posted from TSR Mobile

yeah i agree actually because at my school people either got an A* or they got a D there wasnt much in between - i had a good teacher, and have done it since i was in year 3 but honestly its not difficult even the AS isnt that bad....the gcse writing coursework is easy because your teacher marks it and you basically just memorise it and write it out on the day as with the oral with practise.

other than the ease , i love the language so look into both german and french and see what suits you :smile:
Original post by Psientist
I disagree to the others, and I studied French and German. In my opinion German is by far easier because it's a phonetic language and very similar to English. But what language did you study from year 7-9?

Thanks, I studied German from year 8 and French from year 7, however my French is only a NC sub-level higher than my German, and I find German easier to understand with all the cognates and verb rules etc, which is what you are saying?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Yasmin-9970
yeah i agree actually because at my school people either got an A* or they got a D there wasnt much in between - i had a good teacher, and have done it since i was in year 3 but honestly its not difficult even the AS isnt that bad....the gcse writing coursework is easy because your teacher marks it and you basically just memorise it and write it out on the day as with the oral with practise.

other than the ease , i love the language so look into both german and french and see what suits you :smile:

Ok, thank you very much, that's another weak spot though, my memory!! I can't memorize anything :frown: but good advice I will definitely take all of it into account :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I do french, but if I could back in time I would do German because I think it is a more useful language. Although french is spoken by more people, german is spoken by the largest growing european economy and powerhouse of the Eu. But french is very easy at gcse tbh but i still regret takiing it
Original post by TheTruthTeller
I do french, but if I could back in time I would do German because I think it is a more useful language. Although french is spoken by more people, german is spoken by the largest growing european economy and powerhouse of the Eu. But french is very easy at gcse tbh but i still regret takiing it

Thanks, did you enjoy French at GCSE then!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah, it really is easier to construct German grammar. My teacher managed to fit the entire GCSE and A level curriculum for our German into the GCSE time frame. I may be slightly bias but out of the four foreign languages I studied at school German was by far the easiest to gain relative fluency in.

Posted from TSR Mobile

*?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Psientist
Yeah, it really is easier to construct German grammar. My teacher managed to fit the entire GCSE and A level curriculum for our German into the GCSE time frame. I may be slightly bias but out of the four foreign languages I studied at school German was by far the easiest to gain relative fluency in.

Ok thanks, I really am stuck now :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm still doing it now and no I didn't enjoy it at all compared to spanish. at gcse however, languages are very simple, the reading test is essentially a vocab test and so is the listening. The writings are just memorised essays and the speakings are memorised essays too. So the workload is pretty low, you just need to be on top of your vocab
Reply 17
Thanks you, I'm slightly better at French because I have been learning it since year 7 and German since year 8, and I was going to definitely pick both, however, that would make it unlatched for me to do history and that is a subject I definitely want to take. Which one do you enjoy more (in terms of the gcse course)?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well in my school we did identical topics but i was better at french so i enjoyed it more. I guess i was better because i started in year 7. This extra year of learning really showed- i dropped one UMS point in my french gcse in year ten but scraped a german A* in year eleven.
I am studying German GCSE right now, and I'm in year 11. I used to do French since year 7-9 and also german. In my opinion German was lot easier and enjoyable as there are cognates and I find it easier to pronounce German words. I think you should just think which out of the two you would love to learn more about and you look forward to that lesson:yes::yes:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 19
I study French and German at GCSE and in short, French is the easier language, so if thats your main consideration, then pick French. However, it is perfectly possible to get A*, even full UMS, if you put some work into them. Therefore, I would suggest picking the language you prefer the sound of, or whichever feels more natural to you. After all, you will be studying it for 2 years, so why not enjoy it?!
All the best with your choices and GCSEs!

Quick Reply

Latest