The Student Room Group

IB art?

Im doing IB art, basically because i like it...but im seriously considering droppin it.....how hard is it to get point sin ti..coz for hte las ttwo report cards ive ony got a 5...and basically i dont want art to bring down the rest of my grades...
my grades at the mo are

english: 5- nothing i can do there....have to take it
French: 6
History: 6
Biology: 5 - but im sure i can get htat up....i just have to spend more time on lab reports
Maths: 6
Art: 5- hope this goes up..

any tips on how to deal with art...or how to bring it up..coz i dont want to drop it...
one more question...im not gonna go for an arts degree so is art useful is any way??
well if you dont need it, dont enjoy it and can get better grades in a different subject I dont see how ontinuing will help you. art is a subject thats really hard to mark and depends largely on the examiner you get. but if you have other choices that you could take that will get you a better grade then change.

BTW I like the sig.
art is solid hard to do well in. basically you just have to mass produce art work on a near global scale, i think you could have a room fulll of monkeys making art homework for you day and night and you might still not have enough by the time the exams come. on the plus side no actaul exam and the course finishes early :p:
yeah, one less subject to worry about in exam time.

dont you have produce something like 15 pieces in the 2 years with detailed workbook and everything? I mean, my art friends go completely crazy around april, the time of their exhibition and when the examiner come. actualy, they go mad around february, trying to make sure they have enough pieces and getting last minute workbook stuff in. they spent an unhealthy amount of time at school on weekends and our spring break to do art (most the art equipments were at school). not a nice life.
Reply 4
i enjoy it tho...its just am not sure ill be able to score
Reply 5
hey natasha
wat school r u at in Istanbul?
Reply 6
natasha02
i enjoy it tho...its just am not sure ill be able to score

It's simple, if you enjoy it you should continue it! I'm taking art too, and i started in my 2nd year... i have 1 project and 100 pages of work book done. don't listen to rumours if u have 9 EXCELLENT pieces that show that you've given them the appropirate time and effort, you're good to go. Art is subjective, so make sure you make at least one project that will hit "their heart". IF you show passion in your work, it will pay off. Last year we had the most talented guy my art teacher has ever met. and he gt a 5! becaue he had 21 pieces! and 90 pages of work book done!

But seriously if you want a good grade, concentrate on your work book. that's what i'm doing. because they dnt want to see that your just talented, they want to see that your an artist. and artists critisize other aritist, they use proper art terminology, they know about the different time eras in which certain genres of art had florished.

I was Math higher last year, and it was horrible!i was passing it just fine, but it wasn't what i wanted to do. trust me what ever subject you take, won't matter, even the grades don't matter. Would you have rather studied something that you didnt like and gt a good grade in? or would you rather live the experience that you would never forget?

good luck in ur choice:smile: hope i helped
Reply 7
I hate to confuse you more but like HMSChocolate chocolate said just because your teacher thinks you're a 5 doesn't mean the examiner will. My teacher would always give students with me 5s and 4s and when the examiner came she seemed very impressed with their artwork. We've only just had our exhibition so i don't know what they'll get.

I know what you mean about the workbook ~Lc~, but remember it is only 30% of your mark. Of course it will help with your ideas for your studio, but in my interview i didn't even touch my journal. Also remember only 20 pages are monitored, so somewhere along your line put triple effort into those pages!!
Reply 8
Qwerty2
I hate to confuse you more but like HMSChocolate chocolate said just because your teacher thinks you're a 5 doesn't mean the examiner will. My teacher would always give students with me 5s and 4s and when the examiner came she seemed very impressed with their artwork. We've only just had our exhibition so i don't know what they'll get.

I know what you mean about the workbook ~Lc~, but remember it is only 30% of your mark. Of course it will help with your ideas for your studio, but in my interview i didn't even touch my journal. Also remember only 20 pages are monitored, so somewhere along your line put triple effort into those pages!!

Good luck:smile: we all need it... i guess i'm prepared for a better grade than what i get from my teacher now.. which i why i'm kinda confident about my work, cuz my teacher refuses to give any1 higher than a 4... and last year ppl who gt 2s with her gt a 4 from the examinar.. btu still one can only hope:P
Reply 9
i do visual arts and im doing it at HL nxt year.
i really like IB art coz its really flexible, u do anything u can.
for my end of ur report, i got 7 for research book and 6 for studio work...but i dunno wots the overall.
i think with art, what u need to do is when u hav an idea, u try ur best to show that through ur artwork. im sort of lacking in this area n that is probably why i only got a 6 for studio work. my teacher commented on how i need to show my ideas more clearly in my final piece.
you might be lacking in research. remember, part of ur mark comes from your research. you know the 4 research criteria thing...u need to fulfill that as well. but i think the most important thing is getting an idea of the issue you want to portray through your work and work from there.
Reply 10
thanks you guys...
really encouraging...

Latest

Trending

Trending