The Student Room Group

A Level Art Supplies

For A level Art, do you need a lever arch folder or plastic wallet? Or is it only a sketchbook and art supplies?
Is a portfolio case needed to carry your sketchbook?

Any bag recommendations to carry sketchbooks in with your other school supplies?
Hi, I've moved your thread to a more relevant forum :smile:

Probably best to check with your teacher what the recommendations/expectations are. I did IB Visual Arts rather than A-level art - I initially used a large (A2 size probably) plastic clip case/portfolio case type thing to put my stuff in as our school just let you buy a "starter pack" at a subsidised cost including this and a sketchbook and some basic supplies.

To be honest though after a while I stopped using it as everything was in my sketchbook or stuff that didn't fit in it (larger paintings on stretched canvas). Depends on what kind of projects you end up working on really - if you do a lot of drawing at A3-A2 size though the plastic clip case thing is probably handy. I ended up moving from an A3 sketchbook down to an A4 one as well, since I preferred the latter, and that just fit in my bag.

I think A-level Art does include some art history/essay based stuff but I don't know when this starts up and how much you'll realistically need for that.

Aiming to have a sketchbook and pencils/pens/graphite sticks for drawing and a putty eraser (much better than any other kind!) will probably suffice for the first week I would imagine and then you can figure out what else you need :redface:
Original post by artful_lounger
Hi, I've moved your thread to a more relevant forum :smile:

Probably best to check with your teacher what the recommendations/expectations are. I did IB Visual Arts rather than A-level art - I initially used a large (A2 size probably) plastic clip case/portfolio case type thing to put my stuff in as our school just let you buy a "starter pack" at a subsidised cost including this and a sketchbook and some basic supplies.

To be honest though after a while I stopped using it as everything was in my sketchbook or stuff that didn't fit in it (larger paintings on stretched canvas). Depends on what kind of projects you end up working on really - if you do a lot of drawing at A3-A2 size though the plastic clip case thing is probably handy. I ended up moving from an A3 sketchbook down to an A4 one as well, since I preferred the latter, and that just fit in my bag.

I think A-level Art does include some art history/essay based stuff but I don't know when this starts up and how much you'll realistically need for that.

Aiming to have a sketchbook and pencils/pens/graphite sticks for drawing and a putty eraser (much better than any other kind!) will probably suffice for the first week I would imagine and then you can figure out what else you need :redface:

Oh, I appreciate it- I didn’t even know you could do that, lol
What generally is the difference between A level Art and IB Visual Art?
And thank you so much, this is so helpful!
Original post by blacada
Oh, I appreciate it- I didn’t even know you could do that, lol
What generally is the difference between A level Art and IB Visual Art?
And thank you so much, this is so helpful!

I think there are signifcant differences in terms of the assessment methods - I think A-level Art includes an essay component, and the main "examination" I think is similar to GCSE Art where you complete a single piece of work over a set period of time in a controlled environment. Whereas IB Visual Arts you instead are examined on the basis of an exhibition of your works that you set up and curate yourself then have an interview/oral exam with the examiner in front of it discussing the pieces, your overall project/theme etc.

Both assess your sketchbook as well I understand although I don't know exactly how A-level Art does this (if you need to send the whole sketchbook or not). For IB Visual Arts for the sketchbook assessment you only send over a set number of copies of pages from your sketchbook rather than the whole thing (and it can be from multiple sketchbooks put together).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending