The Student Room Group

Do you consider Egyptians as Middle easterners or Africans ?

Scroll to see replies

Egyptians I know consider themselves middle eastern
Original post by Dedek
VERY WRONg!

This thread is over a year old.
Reply 42
Original post by Wilfred Little
This thread is over a year old.

😨... you don't know now how shook I was to see this lol
It depends on whether you mean geographically or ethnoculturally
theres nothing african about them

they are arab

if a chinese guy born and raised in france...but hes cultrually chinese....doesnt make him french
Middle Eastern, of course.

Original post by Luis Enriquez
if a chinese guy born and raised in france...but hes cultrually chinese....doesnt make him french

Yes it does. 'French' (unlike 'African' or 'Arab') is a nationality. There's no such thing as a French ethnicity, and France has overseas departments in North America, South America and the Indian Ocean, so you can't argue that one has to be born in a certain geographic area to be 'French' either.
Original post by Snufkin
Middle Eastern, of course.

Yes it does. 'French' (unlike 'African' or 'Arab':wink: is a nationality. There's no such thing as a French ethnicity, and France has overseas departments in North America, South America and the Indian Ocean, so you can't argue that one has to be born in a certain geographic area to be 'French' either.

nationality doesnt determine what or who u are

ur dna determines that

ur dna will tell you what tribe and haplogroup u belong to

that piece of paper saying france doesnt...it gives u a country which is made of different groups

get an education
nationality doesnt determine what or who u are

ur dna determines that

ur dna will tell you what tribe and haplogroup u belong to

that piece of paper saying france doesnt...it gives u a country which is made of different groups

get an education

As I say, there's no such thing as a French ethnicity. French nationality is the only way to describe 'being French', therefore you are quite wrong to say someone of Chinese heritage can't be French.
Geographically: They're not mutually exclusive. Middle East is not a continent; you can be Middle Eastern and African.

Culturally: Definitely Middle Eastern.

Racially: Mixed Arab and Black.
Original post by Snufkin
French nationality is the only way to describe 'being French', therefore you are quite wrong to say someone of Chinese heritage can't be French.

white french folk are celtic and roman mixed...some normans and german

those are the real french today...theres ur ethnicity

u miss the point

my example was

a chinese guy born in france but culturally chinese.....

dna and mannerisms are chinese....there is nothing besides his passport that is french

that doesnt make him french....

french predominant religion for example is roman catholic...chinese folk dont rock with that

french love red wine...chinese not really

how can u be culturally and genetically chinese but be french also when french is another culture and their dna goes back to the celts and romans?

u miss the point

my example was

dna and mannerisms are chinese....there is nothing besides his passport that is french

french predominant religion for example is roman catholic...chinese folk dont rock with that

how can u be culturally and genetically chinese but be french also when french is another culture and their dna goes back to the celts and romans?

"Being French" and ethnically French are two different things.

u miss the point

my example was

People living in modern metropolitan France are a real mix, it isn’t as simple as you make out. Essentially the French are made up of various Celtic and Germanic (East and West) tribes, plus no small amount of Italian, Greek, Basque, Norse, Moors, Sephardi and probably unknown 'other' Proto Indo-European people too. And crucially, the amount of historical DNA material (for want of a better word) from these different groups varies a lot throughout France; a native of Provence is going to have very different genetic history to someone from Burgundy or Brittany, for example. That is not an ethnicity. For the last time, there is no such thing as a French ethnicity. It has no legal definition, it has no scientific definition, it does not exist.

You can be culturally and ethnically something else, Chinese, Arab, Indian, whatever - but if you have a French passport, you are French. I suggest you familiarise yourself with the concept of nationality.

P.S 'Romans' isn't an ethnicity either.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Snufkin
People living in modern metropolitan France are a real mix, it isn’t as simple as you make out. Essentially the French are made up of various Celtic and Germanic (East and West) tribes, plus no small amount of Italian, Greek, Basque, Norse, Moors, Sephardi and probably unknown 'other' Proto Indo-European people too. And crucially, the amount of historical DNA material (for want of a better word) from these different groups varies a lot throughout France; a native of Provence is going to have very different genetic history to someone from Burgundy or Brittany, for example. That is not an ethnicity. For the last time, there is no such thing as a French ethnicity. It has no legal definition, it has no scientific definition, it does not exist.

You can be culturally and ethnically something else, Chinese, Arab, Indian, whatever - but if you have a French passport, you are French. I suggest you familiarise yourself with the concept of nationality.

P.S 'Romans' isn't an ethnicity either.

u aint french if u are culturally chinese lmao
I've always considered them Arab

Quick Reply

Latest