The Student Room Group

History A Level Coursework Edexcel

Hi, I have chose the Ancient Egyptian Civilization as my coursework topic for A-levels. Just wanted some ideas on what to focus my question on, has anyone done this before or is doing it now?
Original post by AmeemaRiz
Hi, I have chose the Ancient Egyptian Civilization as my coursework topic for A-levels. Just wanted some ideas on what to focus my question on, has anyone done this before or is doing it now?

The point about choosing an area is that you already know or have researched a reasonable amount about the period to pick it in the first place.
It needs to be interesting and worth of historical research. It should not be a book, but it should involve historical analysis and investigation.

I suggest looking at an event , a person an incident, place or some aspect of Egyptian society that you can show the examiner your research skills, investigation, analysis, use of evidence, consideration of differing views and your evaluative skills.

The way to identify such is to submerse yourself by reading and watching about as many areas as possible and making notes of ideas that have the potential to make you wish to learn more. You can get an A* for just about any EPQ if you can show off the above skills.
Reply 2
Original post by 999tigger
The point about choosing an area is that you already know or have researched a reasonable amount about the period to pick it in the first place.
It needs to be interesting and worth of historical research. It should not be a book, but it should involve historical analysis and investigation.

I suggest looking at an event , a person an incident, place or some aspect of Egyptian society that you can show the examiner your research skills, investigation, analysis, use of evidence, consideration of differing views and your evaluative skills.

The way to identify such is to submerse yourself by reading and watching about as many areas as possible and making notes of ideas that have the potential to make you wish to learn more. You can get an A* for just about any EPQ if you can show off the above skills.

Thanks for the help!! I don't think anyone has chosen this as a topic before because I have not seen any A-level work on it before so I'm wondering if its maybe a level too low for A-level? I did research on it and was thinking along the lines of female rulers during those ages. I'm still thinking of which one and how to form a question around it.
Original post by AmeemaRiz
Thanks for the help!! I don't think anyone has chosen this as a topic before because I have not seen any A-level work on it before so I'm wondering if its maybe a level too low for A-level? I did research on it and was thinking along the lines of female rulers during those ages. I'm still thinking of which one and how to form a question around it.

It is not too low at all because you are talking degree and PHD level or beyond if you want to.
You do need to deal with the subject matter in enough depth and with a sufficient level of sophistication to make sure you meet the standard.

What you need is an angle that enables you to investigate an idea and consider conflicting views before reaching your own evaluation.
Original post by 999tigger
It is not too low at all because you are talking degree and PHD level or beyond if you want to.You do need to deal with the subject matter in enough depth and with a sufficient level of sophistication to make sure you meet the standard.What you need is an angle that enables you to investigate an idea and consider conflicting views before reaching your own evaluation.
What questions do you suggest for A level based on Egyptians?
Sorry to burst your bubble but if you're doing Edexcel A-Level History, ancient history is one of the few topics you're not allowed to do your coursework on. Pretty sure it's because A-Level History courses are modern history courses, as opposed to Classics, which would include earlier time periods like the Egyptians. Best of luck with your coursework!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending