The Student Room Group
Reply 1
hi, i had my 1st interview bout 5 weeks ago or so

basically, the first interview is really chilled out (my 1 was at least) and it was based mainly around your application form which the interviewer has in front of them. my interviewer just asked me about stuff from there basically. so for example, i was part of a society at uni and i was just about that and my role and the type of events we held etc. all basic stuff that i had actually done and could explain so it wasnt too difficult. its more of a conversation and in my interview, there werent any 'hard' questions that tried to catch me out. the questions WERE NOT structured like 'describe a situation where....etc etc' at all. it was all round the app form. the only question i got was 'name me an article youve read in the newspaper recently' and i talked about the tata steel takeover of corus. he just asked me a few follow up questions about that such as what wud corus get from it and what wud tata steel get from it etc.

my tip: know your app form off by heart and read up in detail about an article in the news. u dont need too much detail like their share price, what profits they made etc but just a basic overview of the article

good luck
Reply 2
oh...just to add, i was applying for tax

and jst to let u know, my friend was doing for assurance n instead of the name an article u read recently question i was asked...he was asked something in accountancy in the last 5 years...so he talked about sarbanes oxley
Reply 3
Hey!

Thanks for youe help. I have passed and am through to the next round!

Have you had your assessment yet? which office have you applied to?

x
Reply 4
Jhs2cp
Hey!

Thanks for youe help. I have passed and am through to the next round!

Have you had your assessment yet? which office have you applied to?

x

hi, can u share ur 1st round experience too pls. thx
Reply 5
yeah ive had my assessment centre and was offered a graduate job. i applied to London

congrats on passing, if u want any advice for your assess centre, just ask me
Reply 6
Hey Streetwise,

Could please give me some details about the Assessment day

Did you do an indivudal or group task? What did the task invove and is there any way to prepare such as backround reading.

Also what type of commercial awarness topic did your partner talk about? I know each parter is likely to focus on individual things, but it would be helpful to know how much things I need to know and the amount of detail.

As to the test, I know the tests are SHL based, how hard were there, are there similar to any others you have taken for a different company?

And lastly with the diagrammatical test, do you know any good resources which I could use to prepare for the test.

Thank You x

Thank You
Reply 7
babylon
hi, can u share ur 1st round experience too pls. thx

Hey

My interview was really laid back. I am dyslexic and my interviewer focused on this. He asked me how it affects me, and what I have done to overcome this. The only two competency question I was asked were the ones I wrote on my application, I just have to expand on this.
He asked me talk about what I did in my last job.
He asked me what is auditing? We talked about my past activity at school & college.
At last me asked me to talk about a story which I have read recently and we just has a relax talk about it.

My interviewer didn’t ask anything hard or anything I didn’t know or have to think about. Like most people so it is really just focussed on your application with basic questions nothing to catch you out.

Hope this help x
Reply 8
Jhs2cp
Hey Streetwise,

Could please give me some details about the Assessment day

Did you do an indivudal or group task? What did the task invove and is there any way to prepare such as backround reading.

Also what type of commercial awarness topic did your partner talk about? I know each parter is likely to focus on individual things, but it would be helpful to know how much things I need to know and the amount of detail.

As to the test, I know the tests are SHL based, how hard were there, are there similar to any others you have taken for a different company?

And lastly with the diagrammatical test, do you know any good resources which I could use to prepare for the test.

Thank You x

Thank You

hey

firstly, i had a group exercise. it was with 3 other people so 4 of us altogether and youre basically given a booklet of info and theres youre given 20 mins to read it and write notes and then 30 mins to discuss. the 20 minutes ur given are ample time to read the booklet as there is not TOO much info. but just remember to look at the time when they say go because i didnt do that and didnt know when my 20 mins were up until they told me. youve got 30 mins to discuss which is more than enough and you just basically discuss amongst yourselves the findings youve got. just make sure u remind everyone of the time and contribute as much as u can and use information from others and built on top of that, as well as contribute new ideas yourself. just make sure u have priorities set and you will be fine. you cannot do any background reading to this so i wouldnt waste your time.

in my partner interiew, which i thought was really tough, she asked me questions like what do i think the CEO of pwc should be concentrating on his strategy (which i answered the kpmg and deloitte merger was something), the biggest asset of pwc (said the staff cos they provide the service) as well as questions like 3 things that u think are affecting the economy (i said tax, terrorism and interest rates)...but u can use other things like oil prices, house prices, etc. never went into TOO much detail about a business issue.

the tests were shl and they are quite tough but not any tougher than any other numeracy test. i managed to answer 18 questions in the time limit which is fine. i think the way u shud approach it is to go for accuracy rather than finish it because some questions take 30 seconds to do and some take a minute or so. the diagrammatic tests were quite fun actually cos i like these logical tests. theres a book out there which has about 10 of these tests - im not sure the name but theres a thread n this forum called Diagrammatic Reasoning which the title is in there. i bought that book and it was quite hard. the one in the tests are easier than those ones so dont panic if u cant get them cos i was panicking the nite be4 and i did well in the real tests

hope that helped, if u need any more answers, just go ahead and ask me

good luck!
Reply 9
Hey!

Thanks for all your help, I really appreciate it. Could you please clarify the format of the Diagrammatical test as I am a little confused.
Is the test in the format of a sequence of shapes and you have to finish off the sequence OR is there a INPUT, PROCESS, OUTPUT diagram with letters which you need to solve then use the info to answer questions.

Thanks x
Reply 10
Both, sometimes it gives u the example then u have to work out what the shape will be, and sometimes you have to work out what the letter will be
Reply 11
Streetwize
hey

firstly, i had a group exercise. it was with 3 other people so 4 of us altogether and youre basically given a booklet of info and theres youre given 20 mins to read it and write notes and then 30 mins to discuss. the 20 minutes ur given are ample time to read the booklet as there is not TOO much info. but just remember to look at the time when they say go because i didnt do that and didnt know when my 20 mins were up until they told me. youve got 30 mins to discuss which is more than enough and you just basically discuss amongst yourselves the findings youve got. just make sure u remind everyone of the time and contribute as much as u can and use information from others and built on top of that, as well as contribute new ideas yourself. just make sure u have priorities set and you will be fine. you cannot do any background reading to this so i wouldnt waste your time.

in my partner interiew, which i thought was really tough, she asked me questions like what do i think the CEO of pwc should be concentrating on his strategy (which i answered the kpmg and deloitte merger was something), the biggest asset of pwc (said the staff cos they provide the service) as well as questions like 3 things that u think are affecting the economy (i said tax, terrorism and interest rates)...but u can use other things like oil prices, house prices, etc. never went into TOO much detail about a business issue.

the tests were shl and they are quite tough but not any tougher than any other numeracy test. i managed to answer 18 questions in the time limit which is fine. i think the way u shud approach it is to go for accuracy rather than finish it because some questions take 30 seconds to do and some take a minute or so. the diagrammatic tests were quite fun actually cos i like these logical tests. theres a book out there which has about 10 of these tests - im not sure the name but theres a thread n this forum called Diagrammatic Reasoning which the title is in there. i bought that book and it was quite hard. the one in the tests are easier than those ones so dont panic if u cant get them cos i was panicking the nite be4 and i did well in the real tests

hope that helped, if u need any more answers, just go ahead and ask me

good luck!

Hi, I have to make an asssessment next week. I read your message about the tests and it is very useful. Could you please tell me what the nummerical test is about? And how can I prepare for this? Perhaps you know some useful web pages.. Thanks a lot =)

Latest

Trending

Trending