The Student Room Group

PwC Technology Flying Start Degree Apprenticeship 2021

Wanted to start a thread to find other people thinking about applying. How's everyone preparing? What unis does everyone want to do it at? :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Sorry, not another person thinking of applying but I am currently a second year student on the programme at Leeds. So if anyone at any point on this thread wants to ask questions then feel free.
Original post by kammak743
Sorry, not another person thinking of applying but I am currently a second year student on the programme at Leeds. So if anyone at any point on this thread wants to ask questions then feel free.

absl g, thanks :smile: any advice on how to prepare? How's Leeds as a uni?
Preparation
Make sure to look after yourself at this time. Keep up with your studies.
Choose which universities you want to apply for. I applied for Leeds and Birmingham with PwC but of course I have to say Leeds is better!!

Remember that, unusually for a degree apprenticeship, you apply directly to the universities via ucas. This means you need to get your personal statement sorted for that but for computing I'm not sure they care too much.
If the uni accepts you then you get through to a fairly standard PwC application process. This has changed since my year but you can find people discussing the fairly current process on similar studentroom threads from previous years. The best place for the application process is PwC's employability hub. It looks incredibly helpful and comprehensive now. Also find examples of you demonstrating "PwC professional" qualities.

Leeds uni
The uni is great and seems to balance everything really well. It has it's plusses and minuses like everywhere but I don't know anyone who isn't at least reasonably happy with it.

The course is solid and varied so you know some of quite a lot of things. Lecturers are largely pretty good. The city is great and the uni is a campus uni but very near the city centre which is really great and very unusual. There's plenty of things available via the uni union if you want them. Decent and plenty of accommodation available. I can't personally think of any significant negatives.
Unrelated to your questions, but if anyone was on the Uptree event today, I'm Matthew from PwC.
Preparation
Make sure to look after yourself at this time. Keep up with your studies.
Choose which universities you want to apply for. I applied for Leeds and Birmingham with PwC but of course I have to say Leeds is better!!

Remember that, unusually for a degree apprenticeship, you apply directly to the universities via ucas. This means you need to get your personal statement sorted for that but for computing I'm not sure they care too much.
If the uni accepts you then you get through to a fairly standard PwC application process. This has changed since my year but you can find people discussing the fairly current process on similar studentroom threads from previous years. The best place for the application process is PwC's employability hub. It looks incredibly helpful and comprehensive now. Also find examples of you demonstrating "PwC professional" qualities.

Leeds uni
The uni is great and seems to balance everything really well. It has it's plusses and minuses like everywhere but I don't know anyone who isn't at least reasonably happy with it.

The course is solid and varied so you know some of quite a lot of things. Lecturers are largely pretty good. The city is great and the uni is a campus uni but very near the city centre which is really great and very unusual. There's plenty of things available via the uni union if you want them. Decent and plenty of accommodation available. I can't personally think of any significant negatives.

Thanks for that. Did you need to provide a CV by the way?
Original post by _sharmila_t
Thanks for that. Did you need to provide a CV by the way?

In my year you didn't and I don't think you need to now either, but I can't be certain. If in doubt then email [email protected]
Reply 7
In my year you didn't and I don't think you need to now either, but I can't be certain. If in doubt then email [email protected]

Hi Matthew,

Do you know which unis will be offering the flying start programme?

Also if you do a higher apprenticeships with PWC can you still progress to a degree apprenticeship later?
For unis u can find out on the pwc website but I think it’s Leeds, Birmingham, Edinburgh and Queens Belfast
Original post by r4h4t
Hi Matthew,

Do you know which unis will be offering the flying start programme?

Also if you do a higher apprenticeships with PWC can you still progress to a degree apprenticeship later?

Thanks @_sharmila_t for answering questions! I thought what you thought too but I've just checked the PwC website and it's apparently just Leeds, Birmingham and Queens Belfast now. https://www.pwc.co.uk/careers/school-jobs/jobs/flying-start-degrees/technology.html

Regarding your second question, I don't think PwC actually offer higher apprenticeships as such now. Still, you could join PwC as a standard school leaver and then join the degree apprenticeship later. This wouldn't be an internal progression, you'd be treated just like any other person applying for the degree apprenticeship. I can't guarantee that this is the correct response to that question so do ask the schools team if you want to be sure.
Reply 10
Thanks for your replies.
Reply 11
Hello, I am thinking of applying for Software Engineering Degree Apprenticeship at Queens Belfast for 2021. Iv already applied on the UCAS website, I am guessing we probably only get a response back from PwC around January 2021 time after all the uni applications are sent off?Also, just wanted to ask for any tips in regards to the games based assessments that PwC do and how its best to prepare for them as Iv heard they are quite hard to do.
Original post by Zdog109
Hello, I am thinking of applying for Software Engineering Degree Apprenticeship at Queens Belfast for 2021. Iv already applied on the UCAS website, I am guessing we probably only get a response back from PwC around January 2021 time after all the uni applications are sent off?Also, just wanted to ask for any tips in regards to the games based assessments that PwC do and how its best to prepare for them as Iv heard they are quite hard to do.

I’m applying for Belfast in 2021 too. I went through the Digital Insight Week application process last year which is quite similar to the Flying Start process as far as I know. The games based assessments are difficult but nearly everyone I’ve spoken to has said they found them difficult so I wouldn’t worry. My understanding is that they are getting information about your reactions and your personality based on how you play the games rather than simply picking the people with the best scores. I think in terms of preparation the best thing to do is to have a look on the PwC UK Careers website and make sure you understand the type of person they’re looking for. That will be useful for the situational judgement test and the online interview (assuming that’s how they’re doing it this year).
Original post by _sharmila_t
Wanted to start a thread to find other people thinking about applying. How's everyone preparing? What unis does everyone want to do it at? :smile:

I'm hoping to do it at Leeds in 2021. I'm just researching the company, working on different software projects in my own time to bolster my application, and getting used to the assessments so I have the best chance possible when I apply.

What are other people doing?
How are people practising for the psychometric tests and maths tests, I know they are difficult and wanted to know if anyone has any tips to get the best score?
Original post by Adam_sch
How are people practising for the psychometric tests and maths tests, I know they are difficult and wanted to know if anyone has any tips to get the best score?

I don't actually find the mock mathematical or inductive reasoning tests online very difficult, which is probably because I've done A level maths. The verbal one is mainly just comprehension. However, the work preference questionnaire is odd because there are three different qualities that hardly seem to be related in some cases.

I'm yet to practice the game based assessments though and I've heard they're the most difficult part. From what I've read, there's 9 different games that could come up.

I'd say the best thing to do with these is do as much practice as you can, and practice coping with pressure like you would with a maths exam at school. Good luck, and hope that helps

This gives more info about the assessment process for a role so I assume the application process for this is similar https://www.graduatesfirst.com/pwc-job-tests
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by JamesBirky15
I don't actually find the mock mathematical or inductive reasoning tests online very difficult, which is probably because I've done A level maths. The verbal one is mainly just comprehension. However, the work preference questionnaire is odd because there are three different qualities that hardly seem to be related in some cases.

I'm yet to practice the game based assessments though and I've heard they're the most difficult part. From what I've read, there's 9 different games that could come up.

I'd say the best thing to do with these is do as much practice as you can, and practice coping with pressure like you would with a maths exam at school. Good luck, and hope that helps

This gives more info about the assessment process for a role so I assume the application process for this is similar https://www.graduatesfirst.com/pwc-job-tests

Thank! I mean i also do maths at school but i guess i have found these aptitude tests difficult because of the time pressure. Do you have any websites that I could check out to practice these exams?
Also do people know timings for the application? As in we apply in January to the uni then how long till we hear from PwC, also do we need to put our university as our top choice on UCAS or does it matter?
Original post by Adam_sch
Thank! I mean i also do maths at school but i guess i have found these aptitude tests difficult because of the time pressure. Do you have any websites that I could check out to practice these exams?

In terms of the games, not that I can find at the moment. You can download the app that has the games on but you need an access key to get on which I assume you get in the interview.

For the other assessments, there are some practice tests available on the pwc website

https://elearn.pwc.co.uk/psychometric/try.html
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 19

Hello, I just wanted to ask (hopefully you are not offended by this) how much you get paid per year with PwC. Iv heard from some people that its around £7K per year but that figure is very low compared to other places. If possible can you clear things up and just validate the £7k per year part. Thanks.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending