The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
the Alfred Marshall Economics Society
hmm...i wonder if joining here will help me to pass my econ b exam on monday? :tongue: Count me in anyway.

Also, it could always be named after Lionel Robbins :tongue: lol.
Reply 22
MuvverRussia
hmm...i wonder if joining here will help me to pass my econ b exam on monday? :tongue: Count me in anyway.

Also, it could always be named after Lionel Robbins :tongue: lol.

yeh, I think it'll immensely increase your chances of passing the ~economics B~ exam *thunder and lightening* :wink:

just put down "I'm a member of the UKL Economics Society" and Quah or Marin or whoever corrects the exams, will be impressed :biggrin:
lol, yeah- it might get me some bonus marks :tongue: . Somehow I doubt Danny or Shipman (We all reckon Alan Marin looks a bit like Harold Shipman from a distance) will be marking them though, especially considering the number of people doing the exam.
Reply 24
MuvverRussia
lol, yeah- it might get me some bonus marks :tongue: . Somehow I doubt Danny or Shipman (We all reckon Alan Marin looks a bit like Harold Shipman from a distance) will be marking them though, especially considering the number of people doing the exam.

and you could add the web address and write something like "Please visit UK Learning at www.uk-learning.net" :biggrin:

but who corrects them then? the postgrads?

if only I knew who Harold Shipman was... anyway, my google says he was a serial killer... :biggrin:
I'm in...anyway. Not particularly fussed about the name though.
Ellie4
Is there one? I wanna join if there is! :smile:

Hey you fraud there was another post like this one, and I'm sure you'll all agree that at the time I was the favourite to become leader.
Remember-Vote William Foster for your Econsoc President at Nottingham.

http://www.uk-learning.net/t27932-2.html
There you go Ellie4
If you look as good as Aguilera then I might let you be my intern, LOL!
Reply 27
I'm in if it's going ahead.
Reply 28
WilliamFoster
Hey you fraud there was another post like this one, and I'm sure you'll all agree that at the time I was the favourite to become leader.
Remember-Vote William Foster for your Econsoc President at Nottingham.

http://www.uk-learning.net/t27932-2.html
There you go Ellie4
If you look as good as Aguilera then I might let you be my intern, LOL!

Hehe, well I did start the thread by asking if there was one! No one replied to say there was! Anyway, we don't need a leader, that's not what it's about. I'm only doing As at the mo anyway, so I'm not going to pretend to know it all! Oh, and I look better than Xtina :wink: Heh
Ellie4
Hehe, well I did start the thread by asking if there was one! No one replied to say there was! Anyway, we don't need a leader, that's not what it's about. I'm only doing As at the mo anyway, so I'm not going to pretend to know it all! Oh, and I look better than Xtina :wink: Heh

What does she look like? That isn't her real picture on her profile, it's some naked 'lady of the night'.
Reply 30
WilliamFoster
What does she look like? That isn't her real picture on her profile, it's some naked 'lady of the night'.

She meant Christina Aguilera, not the forum's XTinaA, who does have Christina as the picture in the profile.
Reply 31
xTinaA is sexier than christina
UKL Economists, answer me this:-

Is prison a merit good?

I would really appreciate responses on this, thankyou. :smile:
mobbdeeprob

Is prison a merit good?

I'd say they're a public good.
Reply 34
mobbdeeprob

Is prison a merit good?

I suppose that depends on the individual. Being in prison is better for some people than they realise, but it's not effective for everyone, so not necessarilly. Equally, they are public goods too. Why do you ask?
Reply 35
Hmm, interesting...

Well, they benefit society as a whole, in that they keep dangerous people off the streets, and people might well "volutarily" pay a contribution towards them for their own safety, although that would also make other people safer.

Thus in a perfect free-market, some private prisons would probably be provided, just like there are private security firms.

This makes them a merit good, as it is unlikely that an equivalent or greater number of prison places than we have now, would be created purely by market forces, i.e. some government intervention would inevitably be required.

It's rather like schools. You must acknowledge the complications though - people contribute depending on whether they are likely to end up in the prisons themselves, i.e. whether the opportunity cost of being in prison is greater or less than that of having ciminals walking free. This depends on the laws of the country, and what the crime-rate would be without prisons, which is effectively unknowable, as prisons also prevent crime, being a disincentive, as well as removing career criminals physically from society.

Prisons would not be like the army, which is purely a public good, because people more directly connect prison places and the level of crime that they experience, than they do army size and the amount their country gets invaded. This is especially true in the developed world, where no-one expects their army to be needed for defence, and expects other country's armys to fight wars for world security, or to do peace-keeping. People would only pay for it when they realised their contry needed it for defence, and that would be too late. Whereas, people realise that there wil always be criminals to blight their lives.

Chocolate, for comparisson, is a perfect private good, as people will pay for the level they feel they 'need', which will be enough, or possibly to much. Neither will they suffer if they don't have much. Government intervention is only needed when demand cannot meet supply, then rationing occurs (as in WWII).

Hope all that helps.
Hi.

Can anyone help me with this question? I need to know the impact of Monetarism on recent social policy.

Thanks.
I want to join the society.:smile:
Reply 38
if nobody has objections, i would like to join seeing as economics is my bestest subject and im feeling left out as it is.
Reply 39
'
{ingnik']if nobody has objections, i would like to join seeing as economics is my bestest subject and im feeling left out as it is.

Aww, of course you can join!

Latest

Trending

Trending