The Student Room Group
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol

Chemistry at Bristol

I'm going to apply to Bristol for 2016 for the MSci in chemistry course. I do the IB (International Baccalaureate) and am taking:
Chemistry HL
Biology HL
Geography HL
Mathematics SL
English literature SL
French ab inito SL
For 2015 entry it says I need a 38 points, three 6s at HL and a 6 in SL maths, all of which I am capable of getting.
However, online it says that for 2016 entry you need a 6 in HL maths (an A in further maths A Level) which I cannot get. In the prospectus for this year it says 6 in SL maths.
Is this an error on their part? As a 6 in SL is very different than a 6 in HL. Also I haven't seen a university that asks for an A in further maths A Level.
If it's not an error, would I be accepted with a 7 in maths SL?
Help!
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by JosieH98
I'm going to apply to Bristol for 2016 for the MSci in chemistry course. I do the IB (International Baccalaureate) and am taking:
Chemistry HL
Biology HL
Geography HL
Mathematics SL
English literature SL
French ab inito SL
For 2015 entry it says I need a 38 points, three 6s at HL and a 6 in SL maths, all of which I am capable of getting.
However, online it says that for 2016 entry you need a 6 in HL maths (an A in further maths A Level) which I cannot get. In the prospectus for this year it says 6 in SL maths.
Is this an error on their part? As a 6 in SL is very different than a 6 in HL. Also I haven't seen a university that asks for an A in further maths A Level.
If it's not an error, would I be accepted with a 7 in maths SL?
Help!

Hi, I'm the Chemistry admissions tutor at Bristol. Sorry for the confusion. The short answer to your question is yes. Longer answer: the offer requirements have changed a little since the printed prospectus went to press. Bristol University's online prospectus has recently been updated to show Standard Level Maths at grade 7 as an alternative to Higher Level Maths at grade 6 for IB applicants.
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol
Reply 2
Thank you very much!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending