The Student Room Group

Which medical schools should I apply to?

Hi, I'm looking for advice on where to apply for medicine given the below:

GCSEs:
Maths - 8
English Language - 7
English Literature - 7
Biology - 8
Chemistry - 7
Physics - 7
RE - 7
Spanish - 7
Geography - 7
History - 8

I am predicted A*AA in Biology, Chemistry and Maths (I think I could get the A to be an A* in chem)

UCAT:
Score - 3280
VR - 750
DM - 800
QR - 840
AR - 890
SJT - Band 2

My GCSEs weren't great but my UCAT score is very strong so I'm just looking to see what unis weigh the UCAT heavily and if my GCSEs might impact it. I'm currently considering Bristol, Exeter, Liverpool, Manchester, Newcastle, Southampton and maybe Birmingham but I would like to know if any of these should be taken off my list and if there are any others I should consider. I would really appreciate any help!
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 1
Look at Sheffield too
Original post by wizardofoz_

GCSEs:
Maths - 8
English Language - 7
English Literature - 7
Biology - 8
Chemistry - 7
Physics - 7
RE - 7
Spanish - 7
Geography - 7
History - 8

I am predicted A*AA in Biology, Chemistry and Maths (I think I could get the A to be an A* in chem)

UCAT:
Score - 3280
VR - 750
DM - 800
QR - 840
AR - 890
SJT - Band 2

My GCSEs weren't great but my UCAT score is very strong so I'm just looking to see what unis weigh the UCAT heavily and if my GCSEs might impact it. I'm currently considering Bristol, Exeter, Liverpool, Manchester, Newcastle, Southampton and maybe Birmingham but I would like to know if any of these should be taken off my list and if there are any others I should consider. I would really appreciate any help!

UEA may be a good option, Sheffield, Bristol. You should be ok with UEA and Bristol gcse requirements but double check Sheff.

Birmingham, score yourself but it will be very tight unless you are both at a contextual school and polar 1 or 2.

Liverpool you have to score 15 with your GCSEs, score yourself, and then it’s UCAT so you will be in clear.

Exeter you have needed 3A* in recent years in practical terms for invite to interview.
Original post by VilasL06
Look at Sheffield too

Ok, I will thank you.
Original post by George&Mary44!
UEA may be a good option, Sheffield, Bristol. You should be ok with UEA and Bristol gcse requirements but double check Sheff.

Birmingham, score yourself but it will be very tight unless you are both at a contextual school and polar 1 or 2.

Liverpool you have to score 15 with your GCSEs, score yourself, and then it’s UCAT so you will be in clear.

Exeter you have needed 3A* in recent years in practical terms for invite to interview.

Ok thank you for your help.
Original post by wizardofoz_

GCSEs:
Maths - 8
English Language - 7
English Literature - 7
Biology - 8
Chemistry - 7
Physics - 7
RE - 7
Spanish - 7
Geography - 7
History - 8

UCAT:
Score - 3280
VR - 750
DM - 800
QR - 840
AR - 890
SJT - Band 2

Hey,
I would recommend Sheffield too, as the interviews are offered on UCAT scores and yours is above the threshold for the last few years, so it is a safer option (as safe as anything can be with medicine!). If you have any questions about Sheffield med school or the application process feel free to reply or message. Good luck with your application, It sounds like you are in a great position.
Evie (4th year medic at UoS)
Original post by University of Sheffield Students
Hey,
I would recommend Sheffield too, as the interviews are offered on UCAT scores and yours is above the threshold for the last few years, so it is a safer option (as safe as anything can be with medicine!). If you have any questions about Sheffield med school or the application process feel free to reply or message. Good luck with your application, It sounds like you are in a great position.
Evie (4th year medic at UoS)

Ok, thank you for your help.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending