The Student Room Group

Subfusc: Yay or Nay?

Poll

Vote to keep Subfusc?

As the vote on Subfusc is coming up, I thought it would be worth having a separate thread where people can debate the pros and cons of both sides!

I've brought in the current debate started, feel free to continue this or start a new discussion. All are welcome!

Please keep the debate clean and considerate at all times.

Thanks!
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Chlorophile
Does that really make up for a decade of high-quality teaching? From what I've heard from people on this website, it depends on what private school you go to. If you go to a mediocre private school then sure, Oxford's state-school support probably does put you on equal standing but I doubt that's the case if you go to a really good private school. Looking at the facilities students have at a very good independent school near me and some of the teachers they have, even with Oxford's access schemes, I still think they have a major advantage.

I don't know where people get this weird belief that private schools always offer "high quality teaching" or have a massive advantage when it comes to Oxbridge admission. Having seen the system from the applicant, student and postgrad doing a bit of teaching on the side perspective, it just isn't true as a blanket rule. There are some individual schools where I accept it's almost incredible how well they know and use the system, but they are not just private schools. Plus not all (or even the majority) private schools at all fall into that category.

There is always a small cohort in Oxford who adopt the "state school martyr" obsession though about how "disadvantaged" they've been and how private schools/anything "elitist" are evil though. Every few years the names and faces change, but it's always there in one form or another. I believe the current bunch are trying to get sub fusc removed as compulsory for exams/matriculation because it's apparently elitist and puts people off applying to Oxford. Delusional nutters.... :rolleyes:
Original post by jenkinsear
I don't know where people get this weird belief that private schools always offer "high quality teaching" or have a massive advantage when it comes to Oxbridge admission. Having seen the system from the applicant, student and postgrad doing a bit of teaching on the side perspective, it just isn't true as a blanket rule. There are some individual schools where I accept it's almost incredible how well they know and use the system, but they are not just private schools. Plus not all (or even the majority) private schools at all fall into that category.

There is always a small cohort in Oxford who adopt the "state school martyr" obsession though about how "disadvantaged" they've been and how private schools/anything "elitist" are evil though. Every few years the names and faces change, but it's always there in one form or another. I believe the current bunch are trying to get sub fusc removed as compulsory for exams/matriculation because it's apparently elitist and puts people off applying to Oxford. Delusional nutters.... :rolleyes:

I don't really understand why you're calling people who want to get rid of sub fusc "delusional nutters". I can not understand the argument for it. If you like it, wonderful, nobody's stopping you from wearing it. But don't impose some stupid dress code on everyone. Exams are insanely stressful times already, the last thing I need is to be forced to go into the exam wearing a stupid suit. There is literally zero point in making it compulsory - if you don't make it compulsory, nobody is saying you can't wear a suit any more if you want to. It just means that people who don't want to - including people who would get more stressed by it - don't have to. The sooner they get rid of these traditions, the better.
I don't really understand why you're calling people who want to get rid of sub fusc "delusional nutters". I can not understand the argument for it.

I think I can see a future member of aforementioned group :wink:

If you like it, wonderful, nobody's stopping you from wearing it. But don't impose some stupid dress code on everyone.

If you do not like the dress code, apply elsewhere. Hundreds of years of tradition should not be dispensed with because of a few extreme left wing malcontents not liking it. Oxford has a number of wonderful traditions, sub fusc being one of them.

Exams are insanely stressful times already, the last thing I need is to be forced to go into the exam wearing a stupid suit.

Having actually sat exams at Oxford, I would say wearing sub fusc was actually quite calming for me. I never heard anyone complain once about having to wear sub fusc before any of the sets of exams I ever sat; if anything people tended to like the fact that everyone went in looking the same and you didn't need to worry about what to wear. Others have said (be it to me or in articles defending sub fusc) that it gives them a sense of confidence, whilst some simply like the fact they are taking part in an ancient tradition which every member of the university is a part of regardless of background or College.

If wearing a gown or bow tie/ribbon stresses you out so much, I would contend you have some quite serious issues and that Oxford as a place may be unsuitable for you and your well being.

There is literally zero point in making it compulsory - if you don't make it compulsory, nobody is saying you can't wear a suit any more if you want to.

You are displaying your ignorance of the issue. Sub fusc is already compulsory. The fear is that if it is made optional it may die out as people fear being one of a minority wearing it, or being associated with being old fashioned or "unliberal". The last university referendum saw a massive majority vote to maintain it; I suspect and hope this one will show the same.

It just means that people who don't want to - including people who would get more stressed by it - don't have to. The sooner they get rid of these traditions, the better.

As mentioned above, if wearing an item of clothing or two is that challenging for people then perhaps they should re-evaluate their choice of university and whether they will be able to deal with the pressure of going there.

You say "the sooner they get rid of these traditions, the better"- I genuinely feel quite sorry for you that you have such a narrow, unappreciative view of Oxford's history and the value many see in its traditions. I do not hesitate in suggesting that if you have such a truly negative view that you would probably find yourself happier going to another university, perhaps one with no history/traditions/soul.
Reply 4

If you do not like the dress code, apply elsewhere. Hundreds of years of tradition should not be dispensed with because of a few extreme left wing malcontents not liking it. Oxford has a number of wonderful traditions, sub fusc being one of them.

Having actually sat exams at Oxford, I would say wearing sub fusc was actually quite calming for me. I never heard anyone complain once about having to wear sub fusc before any of the sets of exams I ever sat; if anything people tended to like the fact that everyone went in looking the same and you didn't need to worry about what to wear. Others have said (be it to me or in articles defending sub fusc) that it gives them a sense of confidence, whilst some simply like the fact they are taking part in an ancient tradition which every member of the university is a part of regardless of background or College.

If wearing a gown or bow tie/ribbon stresses you out so much, I would contend you have some quite serious issues and that Oxford as a place may be unsuitable for you and your well being.

You are displaying your ignorance of the issue. Sub fusc is already compulsory. The fear is that if it is made optional it may die out as people fear being one of a minority wearing it, or being associated with being old fashioned or "unliberal". The last university referendum saw a massive majority vote to maintain it; I suspect and hope this one will show the same.

As mentioned above, if wearing an item of clothing or two is that challenging for people then perhaps they should re-evaluate their choice of university and whether they will be able to deal with the pressure of going there.

You say "the sooner they get rid of these traditions, the better"- I genuinely feel quite sorry for you that you have such a narrow, unappreciative view of Oxford's history and the value many see in its traditions. I do not hesitate in suggesting that if you have such a truly negative view that you would probably find yourself happier going to another university, perhaps one with no history/traditions/soul.

To be fair, I think a load of people worry about tradition/subfusc before coming here, and when they finally do, realise it's the least of their worries and their attention is diverted to more pressing matters :lol:
Reply 5
x

So far, everyone I've met who is voting against subfusc is doing so not because they personally don't like it but because they feel others shouldn't be forced to wear it if they don't want. I've yet to meet anyone who themselves doesn't want to wear it or finds it massively stressful and inconvenient. Although of course I'm not saying they don't exist.
Somehow my son managed to be completely ignorant of subfusc until after he got his offer...I really cannot see people being put off applying because of it. At all.
I don't really understand why you're calling people who want to get rid of sub fusc "delusional nutters". I can not understand the argument for it. If you like it, wonderful, nobody's stopping you from wearing it. But don't impose some stupid dress code on everyone. Exams are insanely stressful times already, the last thing I need is to be forced to go into the exam wearing a stupid suit. There is literally zero point in making it compulsory - if you don't make it compulsory, nobody is saying you can't wear a suit any more if you want to. It just means that people who don't want to - including people who would get more stressed by it - don't have to. The sooner they get rid of these traditions, the better.

I can see why some people dislike subfusc being compulsory, but personally, having done two sets of exams, I honestly didn't feel that having to wear subfusc made it any more stressful. In fact, I'm a bit like jenkinsear - having to put on subfusc every morning helped put me into the 'exam mentality'.

That said, I do like the quirky traditions in general; I feel that it contributes to Oxford's charm and a sense of tradition.
Original post by mishieru07
I can see why some people dislike subfusc being compulsory, but personally, having done two sets of exams, I honestly didn't feel that having to wear subfusc made it any more stressful. In fact, I'm a bit like jenkinsear - having to put on subfusc every morning helped put me into the 'exam mentality'.

That said, I do like the quirky traditions in general; I feel that it contributes to Oxford's charm and a sense of tradition.

Just because something works for you, doesn't mean it works for everyone else. If putting on subfusc helps you get into an exam mentality, wear it. Nobody's saying they should ban it, just that it shouldn't be made compulsory. You like quirky traditions, not everyone else does.

So far, I've had an incredibly positive experience of Oxford, I've not come across anyone with views like yourself. "Deal with it or don't apply" - what kind of a mentality is that? Oxford is a university. It's an academic institution, not some exclusive social club. It is absolutely crazy that in the 21st Century, a university is forcing adults to wear a bizarre dress code in exams. I already think that's silly enough in schools, it's beyond me how adults are more than happy to accept those rules being imposed on themselves.

Your argument basically distils down to - it's a tradition, I like it, anyone who doesn't can **** off. It's beyond me how you can think that's a pleasant mentality to have. Cambridge got rid of it, I don't understand why Oxonians are still childishly clinging on to the past, as if that's an admirable thing to do. You're saying that if subfusc isn't made compulsory, it'll die out - is that basically not the same thing as saying that people don't actually want it? If people wouldn't wear it if they had the choice, why are you trying to make it compulsory? On top of that, you really don't know anything about my personal situation so I'd really rather you don't make recommendations like I don't go to the university just because I've got a problem with their traditions. I've got enough stress as it is, I really do not need this...
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 9
Just because something works for you, doesn't mean it works for everyone else. If putting on subfusc helps you get into an exam mentality, wear it. Nobody's saying they should ban it, just that it shouldn't be made compulsory. You like quirky traditions, not everyone else does.

I can't believe how arrogant and selfish you are. So far, I've had an incredibly positive experience of Oxford, I've not come across anyone with bigoted views like yourself. "Deal with it or don't apply" - what kind of a mentality is that? Oxford is a university. It's an academic institution, not some exclusive social club. It is absolutely crazy that in the 21st Century, a university is forcing adults to wear a bizarre dress code in exams. I already think that's silly enough in schools, it's beyond me how adults are more than happy to accept those rules being imposed on themselves.

Your argument basically distils down to - it's a tradition, I like it, anyone who doesn't can **** off. It's beyond me how you can think that's a pleasant mentality to have. Cambridge got rid of it, I don't understand why Oxonians are still childishly clinging on to the past, as if that's an admirable thing to do. You're saying that if subfusc isn't made compulsory, it'll die out - is that basically not the same thing as saying that people don't actually want it? If people wouldn't wear it if they had the choice, why are you trying to make it compulsory? On top of that, you really don't know anything about my personal situation so I'd really rather you don't make recommendations like I don't go to the university just because I've got a problem with their traditions. I've got enough stress as it is, I really do not need this...

Just to clarify - it is currently compulsory. The vote is to decide whether to make it not compulsory.

I openly acknowledged that I can see why there are arguments in favour of not making sub fusc compulsory, and my view of sub fusc is obviously shaped in part by my personal experience of having to actually wear it. I never said that everyone should adopt my views, or that I favour keeping the present situation. I just said I liked sub fusc as a tradition, and my personal experience didn't quite tally with your concerns. That's all.
What is the actual physical problem with subfusc? Is it uncomfortable or something? I come from a pretty poor background and a crap state school, for that matter, and I couldn't care less about what I'd have to sit exams in. If anything, it removes the extra worry of finding other clothes to wear during exam stress.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by powelsmartin
What is the actual physical problem with subfusc? Is it uncomfortable or something? I come from a pretty poor background and a crap state school, for that matter, and I couldn't care less about what I'd have to sit exams in. If anything, it removes the extra worry of finding other clothes to wear during exam stress.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well that depends on how well fitted your suit/skirt etc is :tongue:
Original post by Lucilou101
Well that depends on how well fitted your suit/skirt etc is :tongue:

Ah so is it specially tailored or do you buy a ready size?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ah so is it specially tailored or do you buy a ready size?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Subfusc is just the dark coloured clothing that you wear under your gown, so a suit that you own or buy yourself, shoes and a black or white bow tie/black regular tie. The gown you wear on top is normally bought in Oxford and goes on height, and the cap goes on your head size - although nobody really wears them, just carries them around.
Reply 15
Soooo, in the context of exams does wearing subfusc just mean having to wear a suit? Or does it also include having to wear your gown (and cap?)? And use a quill pen?
Original post by jneill
Soooo, in the context of exams does wearing subfusc just mean having to wear a suit? Or does it also include having to wear your gown (and cap?)? And use a quill pen?

Posted from TSR Mobile

The specifics of sub fusc can be found here: http://www.ox.ac.uk/students/academic_dress It includes a suit (for men), and the gown is worn on top of the suit. I'm pretty sure you just carry the mortarboard - the only time you actually wear it is during graduation.

And no, you don't have to use a quill pen. As long as you write in black or blue (and possibly pencil for diagrams), you can use whatever pen you want. I used free pens that I get from careers events :tongue:

Sub fusc is about as comfortable as your shirt + suit or blouse (for ladies) is actually. Wearing sub fusc never bothered me physically - the most was that the carnation (pinned to the gown) was a bit annoying because of the weight difference, but you can take off your gown and hang it on your chair anyway. You can also take off your suit if you want to. The only rule is that you must wear full sub fusc entering and leaving exam schools I think.

Some people might find wearing sub fusc adds to the stress and hassle of exams. Personally, I didn't feel that way - it took me no more than 5 minutes to prepare the sub fusc the night before, and putting it on felt like a mini-ritual to me. That said, I come from a country where we wear uniforms from kindergarten up to sixth form everyday (and take exams in them), so the idea of wearing a 'uniform' never bothered me.
Original post by Lucilou101
Subfusc is just the dark coloured clothing that you wear under your gown, so a suit that you own or buy yourself, shoes and a black or white bow tie/black regular tie. The gown you wear on top is normally bought in Oxford and goes on height, and the cap goes on your head size - although nobody really wears them, just carries them around.

Ah so you can just wear your own comfy suit?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 18
Ah so you can just wear your own comfy suit?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes. With a gown on top.

Posted from TSR Mobile

[...] if wearing an item of clothing or two is that challenging for people then perhaps they should re-evaluate their choice of university and whether they will be able to deal with the pressure of going there.

Have you ever heard of sensory difficulties arising in autism (people with which are much more common at Oxford than in the general population), OCD and other anxiety disorders? "[P]erhaps they should re-evaluate their choice of university"? Perhaps those who aren't willing to make accommodations for the many enormously intelligent people who suffer with mental illness and disability should reconsider giving advice on a forum on which many people could feel unfairly targeted by this horribly ableist sensibility.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending