The Student Room Group

Confused

Have been revising for the last few months now and everything seemed to be going well. However, the past week I feel all of my past revision has been forgotten and I'm back at square one. Anyone else like this??

Posted from TSR Mobile
I find that if I do LOADS of revision really early I have this problem.

I tend to do casual revision up until about 2 months before the exams (which for me is tommorow so I am going to be properly starting)

By casual revision I just mean when I get time or for casual tests, in the December holidays I always do full on revision for my january exams as well, so it's not like I've done non.

As of tommorow i will do a revision timetable and properly revise, and put it first above other commitments.

But I have had your problem, it just became pointless as I couldn't remember anything? I think I revised too early and wore myself out before the exams too much, which is the biggest mistake ever, I learnt from this now!!

Just make a revision timetable and aim to memorise stuff, that's the best way to revise!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Natalierm2707
I find that if I do LOADS of revision really early I have this problem.

I tend to do casual revision up until about 2 months before the exams (which for me is tommorow so I am going to be properly starting)

By casual revision I just mean when I get time or for casual tests, in the December holidays I always do full on revision for my january exams as well, so it's not like I've done non.

As of tommorow i will do a revision timetable and properly revise, and put it first above other commitments.

But I have had your problem, it just became pointless as I couldn't remember anything? I think I revised too early and wore myself out before the exams too much, which is the biggest mistake ever, I learnt from this now!!

Just make a revision timetable and aim to memorise stuff, that's the best way to revise!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I think I have tbh!! Will do thank you:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by _Charlotte15
Yeah I think I have tbh!! Will do thank you:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Make sure you do revision everyday, little and often if the best way. If you can't do everyday and have commitments (I work 8-5 Sunday's) then just allocate a bit more to one day.

Hope you find something that works for you

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Natalierm2707
Make sure you do revision everyday, little and often if the best way. If you can't do everyday and have commitments (I work 8-5 Sunday's) then just allocate a bit more to one day.

Hope you find something that works for you

Posted from TSR Mobile

I do it everyday but make sure I take breaks. Thank youu👍

Posted from TSR Mobile
Little and often is best, like has been mentioned above by Natalie. But you also need to look after you.

Make sure you drink plenty, stay hydrated and keep your fluids up - sounds lame but it actually helps so much.
Make sure you don't over work, and have little breaks inbetween work. Even if it's only a 15 minute break.

It also makes it more enjoyable if in your breaks you use that time to reward yourself, that way you have something to look forward to.
So even if its just a cup of tea on your break, a short period listening to music, maybe a snack or 15 minutes of Facebook/phone/game time.

Sure learning, revising and doing well in exams is great and is definitely something to work for, but you have to look after yourself on the way.
Other wise you'll be all burnt out, and there'll be no you left after the exams to enjoy your amazing grades.

Good luck and I'm sure you'll ace these exams:biggrin:!
Original post by rachaelftw
Little and often is best, like has been mentioned above by Natalie. But you also need to look after you.

Make sure you drink plenty, stay hydrated and keep your fluids up - sounds lame but it actually helps so much.
Make sure you don't over work, and have little breaks inbetween work. Even if it's only a 15 minute break.

It also makes it more enjoyable if in your breaks you use that time to reward yourself, that way you have something to look forward to.
So even if its just a cup of tea on your break, a short period listening to music, maybe a snack or 15 minutes of Facebook/phone/game time.

Sure learning, revising and doing well in exams is great and is definitely something to work for, but you have to look after yourself on the way.
Other wise you'll be all burnt out, and there'll be no you left after the exams to enjoy your amazing grades.

Good luck and I'm sure you'll ace these exams:biggrin:!

Rep for you:smile: thank you for all the advice, completely right will have to stick to it all!! Thanks again
Reply 7
Speaking from experience, and attaining high marks for multiple tests in multiple subjects that require a lot of memorisation, one of the best ways to learn topics that you have already revised is to have a gap between the time you revised and the time you re-visit again. e.g. Revise a topic on Monday. Revisit the same topic 3/4 days later before you begin that day's topics. Rinse & Repeat! There have been studies on this and it works. It helps save time by not having to revisit the same topics everyday too so new topics can be learnt effectively!
Original post by TH-786
Speaking from experience, and attaining high marks for multiple tests in multiple subjects that require a lot of memorisation, one of the best ways to learn topics that you have already revised is to have a gap between the time you revised and the time you re-visit again. e.g. Revise a topic on Monday. Revisit the same topic 3/4 days later before you begin that day's topics. Rinse & Repeat! There have been studies on this and it works. It helps save time by not having to revisit the same topics everyday too so new topics can be learnt effectively!

I've been doing this recently. I memorise and understand a new topic everyday for history and then come back to it a few days later and try to test myself. I usually try to find a past paper question I can do in regards to it or I just recite everything I've memorised in my own words. Also if I do past papers, I'll mark my answer to the mark scheme and find ways to improve and try to perfect my structure. However like OP said above, don't burn yourself out. I feel like I did too much through Sept-Feb that when it actually matters now, I feel unmotivated and tired all the time. But it's gotta be done, think of the summer and how stress free it will be knowing you'll have passed :wink:
Good luck!
Original post by TH-786

Yes, see I've been overdoing the same subject each day and it doesn't seem to stick in my mind, so yeah that's probably why. Will start doing this now, thank you!!:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by farawayfromnowhere
I've been doing this recently. I memorise and understand a new topic everyday for history and then come back to it a few days later and try to test myself. I usually try to find a past paper question I can do in regards to it or I just recite everything I've memorised in my own words. Also if I do past papers, I'll mark my answer to the mark scheme and find ways to improve and try to perfect my structure. However like OP said above, don't burn yourself out. I feel like I did too much through Sept-Feb that when it actually matters now, I feel unmotivated and tired all the time. But it's gotta be done, think of the summer and how stress free it will be knowing you'll have passed :wink:
Good luck!

Yeah I have the exact same problem and now I feel unmotivated however, as you said it's got to be done. I'll have to try this method of revision and memorisation because it seems very useful. And yes true I have months off after it so its all worth it. Thank you!!:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by _Charlotte15
Have been revising for the last few months now and everything seemed to be going well. However, the past week I feel all of my past revision has been forgotten and I'm back at square one. Anyone else like this??

Posted from TSR Mobile

btw I haven't read all previous responses but here's what I would suggest...

when you revise, revise ACTIVELY. this means learn stuff; maybe 5-10 facts and then try and actively recall them, perhaps (best) by writing them down on a sheet of paper (typing is less effective)

at the end of every day set aside some time in your schedule to run through EVERYTHING you did that day. so if you set aside 4 hours for revision per day, try and leave 30 mins (or add on an extra 30 mins) to run through everything....I think 30mins / 4 hours is enough...

hope that helped

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending