The Student Room Group

AQA English Literature June 2015 Predictions

Scroll to see replies

For the 'To kill a Mockingbird' question for part b, where you had to describe a mockingbird. Is it bad that i chose to describe Mrs Dubose?

I dont know anyone else who did that and i am now very scared????
I know this is way off topic but by any chance does anyone here do GCSE BCS (Business and Communication Studies)? Also preferably the edexcel exam board which has a unit 1 exam on Wednesday and unit 3 in June...

Just wondering as there is no official thread as such!

does anyone have predictions for which poems are likely to come up for the conflict cluster?
The unit 1 paper actually pretty well, i talked about how priestly used dramatic irony to present Mr, Birling as ignorant as well as the capitalist views, but for OMAM i dont think i did as well XD
Original post by Chicken Sauce
For the 'To kill a Mockingbird' question for part b, where you had to describe a mockingbird. Is it bad that i chose to describe Mrs Dubose?

I dont know anyone else who did that and i am now very scared????

No that's fine, it is open to your interpretation, the examiner will still give you marks for this as long as you justified your reasons :smile:
ms dubose is not a mockingbird, shes dies out of her own will to overcome addiction so where is the 'sin to kill a mockingbird', they wont give you zero trust me, yiu will be credited
Original post by jacobjb25
I was so happy it was Curley's wife! And did anyone do 'Lord of the Flies'? Neither question was too bad! AQA were relatively kind! Any idea what poems might come up for Character and voice on Friday? How do you even revise for poetry?

Yhh LOTF was a very good question! I spoke about how Jack descends into savagery and how Ralph and Piggy were caught in the circle when they murdered Simon!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by irfan_blue
Yhh LOTF was a very good question! I spoke about how Jack descends into savagery and how Ralph and Piggy were caught in the circle when they murdered Simon!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm guessing you do the darkness of man's heart question?
What was i menay to write for part b question 21 about brutality of life on ranch and time it was set in?
I meantioned:
-fittest survives, eg. Lennie couldn't and that's why he does
-unhygienic & vicious.
-everyone was lonely and Steinbeck shows the loneliness through most character being violent e.g. Curly
How many marks would this get me out of 15?
I think my explanation for each point was good. Could you mark it. Thanks.
Original post by web-girl
Yeah sure

For OMAM I talked about the story of Cain and Abel called "My bothers Keeper" as they are both similar and have parallel themes. The story comes from chapter of genesis; basically when Cain kills his brother, Abel, out of jealous Gods asks him where he's brother is and he says "Im not my brothers keeper". Gods then punishes Cain by wondering the earth alone and when the loneliness gets to much to him he begs God to kill him but god forbade his plea. The same brutality is also endured my George whom will also suffer by being a loner, have no American dream and also have no companion. He will essentially be like all the other Americans during the great depression.

That is a good comparison, however I think you could have related it more to the novella. I used 'of mouse' by Robert Burns. This is good however, the examiner will give you mark for context and other social understanding. With your section A-TKAM they may not give you a lot of marks as they don't often look for context or in depth analysis for this.

Hope this helps! :smile:
Does any one have any predictions for Unit 4 Macbeth or Pride and Prejudice? Thanks:smile:
Original post by irfan_blue

Posted from TSR Mobile

I thought the first LOTF question would be quite hard to write about.

For the "darkness of man's heart" question I wrote about:
- "darkness" is presented as animalistic, like when Ralph has a "desire to squeeze and hurt"
- Linked this with the presumptuous "English are best at everything" attitude of the boys.
- Linked this with "heroic and sick" of Simon
- Talked about how "sick" people can be nursed back to good health
- Concluded suggesting that "darkness" can be fought against with heroism
You forgot to write about each character and how they endured brutality, like Crooks.

I had time aswell but I didn't get the question properly. 😭😭😭😭. Can I still get atleast 9/15? I wrote about 4 paragraphs. For part b, 5 for part A and section A I wrote 6/7 can't remember. Do you reckon I can still get 9/15 if I would have talked about those 3 things?
Yeah, I did talk about the mice, but in a complete different context! I said that Steinbeck dramatizes ranch life with a startling degree of realism to show that they are missing the bigger picture and that there is no sense of individuality. By Steinbeck successfully doing this he exemplifies that the ranch men are small units of a vast army of millions who are homeless, semi-literate, are intolerant to any weakness and scavenge around America blindly in the hopes of finding their version of the American dreams; they are what Steinbeck refers to as "mice"

well that's good, so you should be fine! Could you please read my AIC? :smile:
I dont't know. :frown:. But Im sure they'll mark the essay as whole collectively so surely it should be out of 30?

Did you do kindertransport by any chance?
Anyone in TKAM do Tom Robinson, I did and so did quite a lot of people in my class, yet someone said that it said in the question, to choose a mockingbird apart from him. I thought it said to choose Tom Robinson or another mockingbird, because that would limit it down to Boo Radley or maybe Dill?
Original post by RoryEwan
Anyone in TKAM do Tom Robinson, I did and so did quite a lot of people in my class, yet someone said that it said in the question, to choose a mockingbird apart from him. I thought it said to choose Tom Robinson or another mockingbird, because that would limit it down to Boo Radley or maybe Dill?

I'm certain the question simply asked for one mockingbird - you were able to do Tom or another of your choice. I did Tom so I think we're fine :smile:
Original post by manishahjee
I had time aswell but I didn't get the question properly. 😭😭😭😭. Can I still get atleast 9/15? I wrote about 4 paragraphs. For part b, 5 for part A and section A I wrote 6/7 can't remember. Do you reckon I can still get 9/15 if I would have talked about those 3 things?

I wrote how crooks was "in a little shed next to the barn" this shows that he is lonely and doesnt like being isolated. Also he is treated unfairly and like an animal. Shows racist society, he is segregated from the others due to his colour. Shows harsh life and reality he has to live with.

Also when crooks tells Curley's wife to leave " get outta here, we don't want no trouble" shows how men are dismissive to women as Curleys wife made a very good point. It may also mean that he thinks what she said was true but didn't want to believe it. Shows terror and brutality of women who were mistreated although she is good at voicing her own opinion.

Lastly a quote from Curley's wife " you think i like to stick in that house all time?" this is prominent as it shows she doesn't have a good relationship with Curley as she doesn't want to be with him. This shows that in 1930's america a lot of women were abused due to their gender. She has bruises on her face but is "heavily-made up" to cover and conceal these marks. Curley wears a glove to also hide bruises on his hand from hitting her. She suffers from domestic violence as most women did during this time.

What do you think of this for part B? I cant really remember what else i wrote as i did it really quickly however any grade ideas for this alone would be welcome!

Thanks for reading! :smile:
Unfortunately no, just OMAM and AIC.

What points did you make for part A?
You forgot to write about each character and how they endured brutality, like Crooks.

I talked about candy and crooks and how they live a brutal life due to how it was for crooks being the only black man and his social status and how isolated he was and for candy I wrote about his dog and how his dog reflected him and comforted him with quotes.. I'm sure that's what you were supposed to do but it is just your interpretation and if you have argued it very well then you should get your deserved grade!
Yeah, just PM it to me.

okay will do! thanks :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending