The Student Room Group

AQA English Literature June 2015 Predictions

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1180
Original post by kittykatieboo
Also even worse, I've heard they're changing the letter grading system to numbers. So now there are more numbers than letters being used in the grading system so an A* will be defined as a low A*, that'll just make people think they haven't done as well because they haven't got the best mark.
Yeah OMAM was tough, I suspect the grade boundaries will go down for that and go up for poetry since the unseen was easy to comprehend. We can tell each other on the day how we did so we can celebrate yay (hopefully).

I know I've heard that too, it's so annoying... They're changing the whole GCSE system which is ridiculous :/
Yeah hopefully that's the case, what other book did you do apart from OMAM?
And yeah definitely, I hope it's good news hahaha, are you in year 10 or year 11? I'm in year 10 so I've done English lit and biology early and then I've got everything else next year.
Um not being rude but people can do what the hell they like, maybe it reassures them or makes them see realistically how well they've done so they are better prepared for what they will get in the future.

How about they focus on the direct future otherwise they'll regret in August regarding how they were unable to get over an exam and move on!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by chumaniward
I just think every time i see these threads come up again that it's unhealthy for people to keep thinking and worrying over what's happened, theg cant change anything now, and if they start to worry that they maybe havent achieved the grade they wanted then their thoughts about this are gonna distract them from focusing on other exams so jeopardise other grades

Posted from TSR Mobile

Understandable :smile: But to be honest, most of the revision now won't majorly help them - it'll just go into the short term memory. That's why you should revise often over a long period of time in short bursts, repetition helps the information go into the long term memory. Some people are different to others.
Original post by AmieH
I know I've heard that too, it's so annoying... They're changing the whole GCSE system which is ridiculous :/
Yeah hopefully that's the case, what other book did you do apart from OMAM?
And yeah definitely, I hope it's good news hahaha, are you in year 10 or year 11? I'm in year 10 so I've done English lit and biology early and then I've got everything else next year.

I did Woman In Black, it was weird to find that a lot of people don't do that one. I panicked when I saw the questions and ended up going for the harder one instead of the dead easy one - literally nobody did my question lol. I felt like I had some good points though so maybe I'll look original. What was your book?
In year 11, I do double award science though so I did core science (first three units of biology, physics and chemistry) in year 10. I wish we did English lit earlier, it would be so much less stressful - damn our school :wink:
An advantage of exam discussion threads is that they make you view other people taking the same exam less as adversaries and more as comrades.
I did this too!
I think this has already been answered but I can't find it, does anyone have a prediction on the rough grade boundaries? High or Low?
I did Woman In Black, it was weird to find that a lot of people don't do that one. I panicked when I saw the questions and ended up going for the harder one instead of the dead easy one - literally nobody did my question lol. I felt like I had some good points though so maybe I'll look original. What was your book?
In year 11, I do double award science though so I did core science (first three units of biology, physics and chemistry) in year 10. I wish we did English lit earlier, it would be so much less stressful - damn our school :wink:

I've not done any of my exams and so now I have 26 oh lovely :smile: 17 done, 9 to go B)
Reply 1188
hi so I'm a bit worried,
I did the conflict section but the one on mametz wood. I compared it to at the border which I thought was hard.
I wrote about:
the"woods" which show inhumanity with the machine guns vs the mountains which show alienation and confinement
the irregular lines vs free verse and what they resemble
uselessness and disposability of soldiers vs uselessness of border
I analysed techniques and stuff and I thought the unseen was easy. Unit 1 wasn't bad and I got 39/40 in my coursework. So would it be possible to get an A* by any chance.

many thanks
Reply 1189

yeah I hate getting panicked in exams, it's the worst feeling
And I did An Inspector Calls but we predicted both of the questions like almost down to their exact wording so I just memorised an essay that I wrote in class and got a high band 6 for and wrote that, although I couldn't get my words out fluently and my points didn't sound as "sophisticated" as they did in my class essay so idk how good it will be :/ plus I did so bad on the OMAM so that's probably dragged my grade down :/
Oh yeah my friend is doing that, she's done one exam in biology physics and chemistry whereas I've got three in biology... Are you on OCR? And yeah I'm glad we've got English lit out of the way, don't know how I would cope with it in the midst of like 17 other exams
Original post by 11234
hi so I'm a bit worried,
I did the conflict section but the one on mametz wood. I compared it to at the border which I thought was hard.
I wrote about:
the"woods" which show inhumanity with the machine guns vs the mountains which show alienation and confinement
the irregular lines vs free verse and what they resemble
uselessness and disposability of soldiers vs uselessness of border
I analysed techniques and stuff and I thought the unseen was easy. Unit 1 wasn't bad and I got 39/40 in my coursework. So would it be possible to get an A* by any chance.

many thanks

Do you remember the exact wording of this question?
Does anyone know how the coursework add up to your overall mark. For example i got a C in my coursework so how does that grade add up to my overall grade in English??
Original post by Rosie_xxxoo
Does anyone know how the coursework add up to your overall mark. For example i got a C in my coursework so how does that grade add up to my overall grade in English??

For language, coursework is 40% of your grade.
For literature, im not so sure- you use one piece for it so it might be like 20% or something (need someone else to confirm)
Reply 1193
Original post by Trotter65
Do you remember the exact wording of this question?

explain how a sense of place is used by the poet to explore effects of conflict
Reply 1194
For the unseen, did people write that the poem was about her child, despite the question saying 'in love'? because we learnt the poem in year 9 and my teacher said it was symptoms of having a child :/
Original post by 11234
explain how a sense of place is used by the poet to explore effects of conflict

That is completely different to what I remember. I recall ' how does the poet present ideas about conflict in Mametz Wood and one other ..' Maybe AQA made a mistake and issued 2 different papers? I can't see how so many people could misread the question as you have recalled it.
Original post by Rosie_xxxoo

Pretty sure for AQA Lit it's 25% :smile:
Original post by Jitesh

That's correct

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jitesh

I know that but i just dont know how it adds up to your mark
Reply 1199
Original post by Trotter65
That is completely different to what I remember. I recall ' how does the poet present ideas about conflict in Mametz Wood and one other ..' Maybe AQA made a mistake and issued 2 different papers? I can't see how so many people could misread the question as you have recalled it.

no there was definitely something about place

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending