The Student Room Group

Electricity

Hi,

I would appreciate it if someone could explain to me what the difference between the terms 'voltage' and 'current' is?
Also, why a higher voltage results in a smaller current?

Thanks
Think of it as water flowing through a system of pipes; the voltage is the water pressure and the current is how fast the water is flowing. The width of pipes can be thought of as the resistance; the narrower the pipe, the higher the resistance.

Current increases when you have a higher voltage, assuming the resistance stays the same (Ohm's law). I'm not sure where you got the idea that it decreases from.
Reply 2
Original post by HandmadeTurnip
Think of it as water flowing through a system of pipes; the voltage is the water pressure and the current is how fast the water is flowing. The width of pipes can be thought of as the resistance; the narrower the pipe, the higher the resistance.

Current increases when you have a higher voltage, assuming the resistance stays the same (Ohm's law). I'm not sure where you got the idea that it decreases from.

Thanks!

I think the textbook said increasing the voltage would result in a smaller current for the same energy output.
Original post by Diligence
Thanks!

I think the textbook said increasing the voltage would result in a smaller current for the same energy output.

It's right in that case. P=IV so if the voltage increases, the current has to decrease in order for the power to stay the same.

Quick Reply

Latest