The Student Room Group

Biology/Chemistry AS/Alevel

Is it crucial to know your GCSE syllabus inside out before starting AS/A2? Or is AS/A2 just completely different?
Original post by STUDYREVISE
Is it crucial to know your GCSE syllabus inside out before starting AS/A2? Or is AS/A2 just completely different?

They continue nicely from certain GCSE topics but a lot of the stuff doesn't really come up again. It wouldn't hurt to give the syllabus a once-over over the summer though :smile:.
It would be good if you knew your GCSE syllabus pretty well, but you dont need to know it back to front. You'll get the hang of AS level, but it would be nice if you get a headstart by knowing your GCSE syllabus quite well
Well chemistry AS is a nice follow on from GCSE, but just make sure you do know the GCSE stuff pretty well as some teachers may not go over the stuff as they assume you'll already know it as it's a build up from GCSE.

Some Biology GCSE content doesn't come up until A2. But yeah you should still be aware and remember your GCSE content, maybe not as in depth but don't forget it all instantly
Reply 4
Original post by STUDYREVISE

I personally didn't know my GCSE syllabus inside out when I started AS and I haven't found much issues with Chemistry or Biology.

HOWEVER, some stuff does come up again like intermolecular forces so knowing the baseline amount will help.

Goodluck!

Quick Reply

Latest