The Student Room Group

Biomedical science undergrad help! - y13

Hi,

I'm in year 13 and do biology, geography and RS and I took chemistry on as an AS this year. I'm not sure if I should drop it because I've defo noticed I don't have as much time to go over my over 3 subjects with chem.
I want to do biomedical science at uni. The uni's I've put in my ucas don't require me to have chemistry. They say '2 science alevels' which they would allow my biology and geography as sciences.

And I have seen for one of the unis (haven't checked them all yet if they have this) they have a compulsory chemistry module if you didn't take it to A2 level. Is it best to drop chemistry, I think it'll be best for my mental health and allow me to achieve the best in my other 3 subjects.

Is anyone currently studying biomedical science!? - would I struggle or would I be fine because they'll teach me in their compulsory chemsitry module anyway.

Sorry this is really long, I'm just worried ig because I'll be behind and others would already know the chemsitry.

I got advice from my bio teacher and she said its best to drop because I don't need it to get into biomed for those unis anyway and if i'm struggling with the workload. I have y13 mocks in January and tbh I haven't even started going over y12 content.....
(edited 5 months ago)
I'm currently studying biomedical science. You don't need chemistry, especially if you're uni doesn't require you to have taken it. There will usually be a module that focuses on chemistry that covers everything you need to know. I took A-level chemistry and find a lot of concepts familiar, but many people on my course haven't and seem to be faring well enough. If you don't require chemistry and find the workload to intense, I would recommend dropping it, but the choice is ultimately yours.
I don't do Biomed, but I have a friend who does and I've snuck into a few of his lectures... :redface: They do go over the Biology and Chemistry content that was taught for A-levels, at least at my uni.

I personally know the workload involved in doing 4 A-levels and I definitely think that it's a good idea to drop one if you're not feeling up for the challenge. If it's not a requirement for Biomed, then sure, there's no problem in dropping Chemistry, however, I'm puzzled as to why you want to drop Chemistry instead of Geography or RS when you're thinking of going into a Chemistry-heavy degree. Your comment that you think it would be the best thing for your mental health seems to indicate that Chemistry isn't a subject you enjoy all that much, or not as much as other subjects and might find it too much - which is fair enough, but in that case, going into Biomed doesn't seem to be the wisest of decisions, what with its heavy Chemistry content.
Reply 3
Original post by sleep_supremacy
I'm currently studying biomedical science. You don't need chemistry, especially if you're uni doesn't require you to have taken it. There will usually be a module that focuses on chemistry that covers everything you need to know. I took A-level chemistry and find a lot of concepts familiar, but many people on my course haven't and seem to be faring well enough. If you don't require chemistry and find the workload to intense, I would recommend dropping it, but the choice is ultimately yours.

hi, ok that's reassuring thank you so much! - I am defo leaning towards dropping it. How long does a module typically last?
Reply 4
Original post by Scotland Yard
I don't do Biomed, but I have a friend who does and I've snuck into a few of his lectures... :redface: They do go over the Biology and Chemistry content that was taught for A-levels, at least at my uni.

I personally know the workload involved in doing 4 A-levels and I definitely think that it's a good idea to drop one if you're not feeling up for the challenge. If it's not a requirement for Biomed, then sure, there's no problem in dropping Chemistry, however, I'm puzzled as to why you want to drop Chemistry instead of Geography or RS when you're thinking of going into a Chemistry-heavy degree. Your comment that you think it would be the best thing for your mental health seems to indicate that Chemistry isn't a subject you enjoy all that much, or not as much as other subjects and might find it too much - which is fair enough, but in that case, going into Biomed doesn't seem to be the wisest of decisions, what with its heavy Chemistry content.

It's because at the start of year 12 I chose, biology, geography and RS. I didn't know i wanted to do biomed at the time. I would of chose chem originally if i knew.

I'm not going to drop geography or RS because I can take them as a full alevel whereas for chemistry, I just started it this September as an AS level so I am in a year12 class. It would be silly to drop geog or rs for a chemsitry AS level.

I do enjoy chemistry and I am finding the content really interesting atm but yeah its just the workload of all 4 is stressful
(edited 5 months ago)
Original post by jojo257_
It's because at the start of year 12 I chose, biology, geography and RS. I didn't know i wanted to do biomed at the time. I would of chose chem originally if i knew.

I'm not going to drop geography or RS because I can take them as a full alevel whereas for chemistry, I just started it this September as an AS level. It would be silly to drop geog or rs for a chemsitry AS level.

I do enjoy chemistry and I am finding the content really interesting atm but yeah its just the workload of all 4 is stressful

Ah, sorry, I misread! Then in that case by all means do drop Chemistry and pursue Biomed :smile:
hi, ok that's reassuring thank you so much! - I am defo leaning towards dropping it. How long does a module typically last?

It depends on the module and the uni. Some will last for just one semester; others will continue for the whole year.
Reply 7
be aware that if you 'dont 'like Chemistry', doing a degree that includes it may not be the best idea.
Reply 8
It depends on the module and the uni. Some will last for just one semester; others will continue for the whole year.

ah okk. tysm. Also, what prominent chemistry topics are in biomedical science which come up from the alevel. I'm going to drop chemistry so would like to read ahead for it and kinda self teach some of it before. I've already covered like the foundations: moles, bonding, melting points, ionisation energy, titrations, concs, pV= nRT, emprical formulae, oxidation states.
(edited 5 months ago)
ah okk. tysm. Also, what prominent chemistry topics are in biomedical science which come up from the alevel. I'm going to drop chemistry so would like to read ahead for it and kinda self teach some of it before. I've already covered like the foundations: moles, bonding, melting points, ionisation energy, titrations, concs, pV= nRT, emprical formulae, oxidation states.

You will generally cover topics such as molarity, concentration, thermodynamics and gas laws. The areas you have listed are a good starting point, through I wouldn't worry about reading ahead; they will be covered from the ground up when you encounter them at uni.
Reply 10
You will generally cover topics such as molarity, concentration, thermodynamics and gas laws. The areas you have listed are a good starting point, through I wouldn't worry about reading ahead; they will be covered from the ground up when you encounter them at uni.

ah okay, thank you so much! 😄👍

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending