The Student Room Group

AS aqa english literature b

I am studying English literature AS and my exam board is aqa. I am doing the B spec. Its the last year for the exam aspects of narrative because the specs are changing next year. I am doing The Great Gatsby for section a and the kite runner, rossetti and keats for section b. Does anyone have any revision tips on how to revise for this and any general help

Heya, I did the paper last year so I have some advice to offer :smile:

1) make sure you read all of the texts at least 2 times, ideally you should have read them 3 times before the exam.
2) write down useful quotes on flashcards... although it's open book you don't want to waste the precious time that you have trying to look for key quotes.
3) familiarise yourself with the assessment objectives because that's what they're really marking on... this is different for each section so make sure you're sure on this.
4) make some notes on social context (one of the AOs)
5) find some critics opinions on your texts and try and integrate them into your essay (AO3)
6) past papers in time conditions!
7) make sure that if you're thinking of doing one your novels rather than poems in section A that you know what happens in each chapter like the back of your hand, you don't want to have to flick through and remember what happened.
8) for section B, make lots of plans, you don't have to write the essay but just planning is really useful.

Good luck!
Reply 2
Original post by Deagdavies
Heya, I did the paper last year so I have some advice to offer :smile:

1) make sure you read all of the texts at least 2 times, ideally you should have read them 3 times before the exam.
2) write down useful quotes on flashcards... although it's open book you don't want to waste the precious time that you have trying to look for key quotes.
3) familiarise yourself with the assessment objectives because that's what they're really marking on... this is different for each section so make sure you're sure on this.
4) make some notes on social context (one of the AOs)
5) find some critics opinions on your texts and try and integrate them into your essay (AO3)
6) past papers in time conditions!
7) make sure that if you're thinking of doing one your novels rather than poems in section A that you know what happens in each chapter like the back of your hand, you don't want to have to flick through and remember what happened.
8) for section B, make lots of plans, you don't have to write the essay but just planning is really useful.

Good luck!

Thanks for your help will start doing that from today
No worries, do you have the AOs and which AOs are needed for which question?
Reply 4
Original post by Deagdavies
No worries, do you have the AOs and which AOs are needed for which question?

Yh my teacher gave me them
Just wondering if anyone had any tips for section B? I find it so hard to cram a detailed answer, trying to hit all the AOs about 3 texts! I can do a good answer on like one novel but it takes the full time :frown:. It's the main thing I struggled w/ in my mock.
Reply 6
Original post by angel2015
Just wondering if anyone had any tips for section B? I find it so hard to cram a detailed answer, trying to hit all the AOs about 3 texts! I can do a good answer on like one novel but it takes the full time :frown:. It's the main thing I struggled w/ in my mock.

In the exam if you run out of time in section B and you have only written about 2 authors you should try and include a conclusion instead of the third author if you do not have time because you will get marks for being evaluative and making a judgement.
Original post by angel2015

You don't need to write equally on all three texts, as you probably already know, so even if you just a write a little bit on your third texts it should be fine, just try and knock in the AOs there... Definitely make sure you plan carefully beforehand and make sure everything you're mentioning is relevant. Although you want to demonstrate that you know loads about your texts, you don't have to over do it!

Best of luck!

Quick Reply

Latest