The Student Room Group

BA vs BSc Economics - Does it matter?

Hi everyone,

I am having second thoughts on my insurance I have offers for both a BSc Economics and a BA Economics, and I am really not sure whether it would make a difference?(Both russel group universities similar ranking) Do investment banks favour BSc? I don't really know the difference? I just been told more maths in a BSc, as I come from a maths and science background should I go for the BSc? what does a BA have that a BSc doesnt and vice versa?

I prefer the the university I applied for a BA so I want to go there however if investment banks specifically the BB ones prefer a BSc should I go for the Bsc despite preferring the BA university?
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

which uni's, that's what matters most. RG doesn't mean anything, banks look at targets/semi's
Original post by gr8wizard10
which uni's, that's what matters most. RG doesn't mean anything, banks look at targets/semi's

The university of Sheffield - BA Economics

I prefer sheffield as a uni and location however and I was told that a BSc is better?
Reply 3
Going to have a bitch of a time getting into IB from sheffield.
Original post by harry218
The university of Sheffield - BA Economics

I prefer sheffield as a uni and location however and I was told that a BSc is better?

i wouldn't advise you go sheffield if you want to do ib. aim for these for the best chances.

Along with Oxbridge, Imperial and LSE; UCL and Warwick, the remaining members of the G5, are also top Universities to break into the profession from. After the G5:

Durham/Edinburgh/Nottingham/Bristol

Cass Business School (London)

York/Bath/St Andrews

King’s/Manchester

going off sw, noone on any of my sw programmes are from sheffield. most come from warwick, lse & ucl srs

BA/BSc is the least of your worries, noone gives a **** about whether its BA or BSc, usually doesn't mean anything.. cambridge have ba maths ffs, uni brand matters more.
Original post by gr8wizard10
i wouldn't advise you go sheffield if you want to do ib. aim for these for the best chances.

going off sw, noone on any of my sw programmes are from sheffield. most come from warwick, lse & ucl srs

BA/BSc is the least of your worries, noone gives a **** about whether its BA or BSc, usually doesn't mean anything.. cambridge have ba maths ffs, uni brand matters more.

Oh I see thank you!!!
BSc is considered more analytical and therefore more prestigious for IB. Also, contrary to popular belief it is possible to get into IB from lower ranking RG unis.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oh I see thank you!!!

Bruh, Notts destroys Sheffield for econ mate.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I have an offer for nottingham however not for engineering not economics. Would going notts not doing a finance related degree still be better than economics at sheffield?

Also according to world rankings sheffield is 69th and nottingham is 75th?? I would of thought Sheffield would be a semi target, unless sheffields econ department is pretty bad?
I have an offer for nottingham however not for engineering not economics. Would going notts not doing a finance related degree still be better than economics at sheffield?

Also according to world rankings sheffield is 69th and nottingham is 75th?? I would of thought Sheffield would be a semi target, unless sheffields econ department is pretty bad?

Yes, **** rankings.

Notts has been on the same tier as Durham and Bristol for many years, it just expanded a bit and has focussed on that rather than rankings.

Sheffield is a complete non-target whereas Notts sends a decent amount into IB each year, from all subjects.

Seriously, I'm scared that you are even comparing the two. In terms of respect amongst employers and prestige, Notts wins every time.

As for the subject, it doesn't matter. A respected degree from a semi-target/target should suffice.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)

World rankings don't really mean much tbh.

Look at UK subject specific rankings.

Nottingham is definitely your best bet if you want to get into IB.
Original post by Princepieman
Yes, **** rankings.

Notts has been on the same tier as Durham and Bristol for many years, it just expanded a bit and has focussed on that rather than rankings.

Sheffield is a complete non-target whereas Notts sends a decent amount into IB each year, from all subjects.

Seriously, I'm scared that you are enven comparing the two. In terms of respect amongst employers and prestige, Notts wins every time.

As for the subject, it doesn't matter. A respected degree from a semi-targe/target should suffice.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you for the advice! Im making nottingham my first choice:smile:

Any thoughts for insurance uni? recommendations for say ABB equivalent entry?
Yes, **** rankings.

Seriously, I'm scared that you are enven comparing the two. In terms of respect amongst employers and prestige, Notts wins every time.

As for the subject, it doesn't matter. A respected degree from a semi-targe/target should suffice.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yep, this, rankings mean nothing tbh, the methodology they use is dire.

For employability you can get a better guide by looking at the university's standard offer for Maths (generally the subject with the highest offer)...often you'll find the higher it is, the more employable the graduates.

By no means is this a good way of doing it, in fact it's hugely flawed, but it's better than bs league tables :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Wahrheit
Yep, this, rankings mean nothing tbh, the methodology they use is dire.

For employability you can get a better guide by looking at the university's standard offer for Maths (generally the subject with the highest offer)...often you'll fond the higher it is, the more employable the graduates.

By no means is this a good way of doing it, in fact it's hugely flawed, but it's better than bs league tables :smile:

That's an interesting method. How did you come up with that?

I'd say looking at the careers fair exhibitiors is an even greater measure, requirements can fluctuate due to demand.
Thank you for the advice! Im making nottingham my first choice:smile:

Any thoughts for insurance uni? recommendations for say ABB equivalent entry?

Depends, where else do you have offers from?

I'm looking forward to seeing you on campus at some point, can't wait to start!
Depends, where else do you have offers from?

I'm looking forward to seeing you on campus at some point, can't wait to start!

Oh cool! Are you coming to nottingham next year too? I have offers from nottingham(AAA equiv) Sheffield(AAB equiv) and kent (ABB equiv) Waiting for leeds/bristol however they both want AAA which is the same as nottintham so pointless them being my insurance, so If I was to end up with ABB equiv I'd try clearing somewhere else considering all the responses for sheffield not sure where though
Oh cool! Are you coming to nottingham next year too? I have offers from nottingham(AAA equiv) Sheffield(AAB equiv) and kent (ABB equiv) Waiting for leeds/bristol however they both want AAA which is the same as nottintham so pointless them being my insurance, so If I was to end up with ABB equiv I'd try clearing somewhere else considering all the responses for sheffield not sure where though

I'd go with Sheffield as your insurance choice to be honest. It's a great uni with some good links to industry, I'm not trying to put you off it.

Yeah, I am! Going to do Comp Sci.
That's an interesting method. How did you come up with that?

I'd say looking at the careers fair exhibitiors is an even greater measure, requirements can fluctuate due to demand.

Yeah your method is better lol. And I noticed Maths offers seem to be highest when applying for Maths a few years ago, and in doing so noticed that if you were to put a list of universities by the employability of graduates (pretty much just my impressions from research) and put it alongside the list of universities by standard offer for maths, highest difficulty first, you see they're pretty similar with some exceptions (LSE should be higher, for example).

I think it's because there's a feeling that if you're capable of A*A*A then a course with people who achieved AAB is going to be too easy for you or doesn't showcase to others how clever you are. People are obsessed with the idea that your university's brand tells other people how intelligent you are. So you don't find that many people going to universities with offers significantly below their potential, average and minimum calibre of the student is lower, employers target them less.

Would be interesting to see what happened to how targeted a university would be if they lowered their Maths/Econ/etc. offers by 2-3 grades. Warwick lowering their maths offer to AAB would decimate the employability of all the students in that cohort, I'm sure.

EDIT: am talking specifically about jobs in finance/banking/consultancy/law! AAB is still a high offer in the grand scheme of things!
(edited 9 years ago)
I'd go with Sheffield as your insurance choice to be honest. It's a great uni with some good links to industry, I'm not trying to put you off it.

Yeah, I am! Going to do Comp Sci.

Ah I see thanks!

Oh cool! Hopefully will see you there! Do you have facebook? If so PM me it:smile:
Original post by Oschene23
BSc is considered more analytical and therefore more prestigious for IB. Also, contrary to popular belief it is possible to get into IB from lower ranking RG unis.

Posted from TSR Mobile

my mates at gs from coventry. it's possible yes, but work the stats, it's very unlikely. wouldn't advise going against the stats.

notts is 100x better than sheffield

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending