The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Luton, without a doubt.

Chavvy people and crappy entertainment.
Reply 121
It does have a damn good airport though, and it's close to London.

I think there are worse places than Luton. As I've said above it's forgettable, but not dreadful.
Reply 122
I've heard Luton is bad, but from personal experience alone, I'd say Walsall or Doncaster. Doncaster especially seems awful.

It has the Dome though, which is nice. Walsall just has an Art Gallery that no one cares about anymore.
Angel83
Some people say Hull is 'dull'.

It's never Dull in 'ull!
Reply 124
nobody will know where it is but Galashiels in the Scottish Borders is the worst town.
Having lived in Hull for 19 years of my life (until I moved to Leeds for university) I can safely say it ain't all that bad!

Princes quay (Prinny Key) is a good shopping complex, as well as the streets near by it has everything I personally want in shopping without having to walk miles.

Night life, well true there are a few nightclubs, unfortunately most of them full of Chavs. There are a couple of Gems though like Spiders nightclub.

As for cheap drinks (Which is a good thing by the way, especially for us students) it ranks pretty high compared to the places i've been to.

I discovered £1.79 for a pint of Strongbow around Old Town. £1.20 double's. Loving it tbh.

The only thing that really bugs me about Hull is the lack of taxis! So difficult to find one, where as in Leeds you can barter with about 10 taxis outside every club for the best price!

There are quite a few chavs, more and more as the years go on it would seem. Which generally live in Bransholme (Which is actually one of europes biggest council estates) and Orchard Park. Theres plenty of dodgy characters but I think it adds to the character of the city. Places would be boring if everyone were normal!

Last week I saw a couple about 20 years of ages pushing a pram whilst passing a joint to one another. Classy.

There are however also some really classy places such as Kirkella and Westella both of which sport some nice mansions.

All I can really say is don't knock it til you've tried it!
Reply 126
most people that say nottingham have never been here. how naive of u to believe the papers.

iv lived in notts all my life and i love it!!
kylie88
most people that say nottingham have never been here. how naive of u to believe the papers.

iv lived in notts all my life and i love it!!

the only thing i can think would be bad about nott'ham would be the high crime... also there was a police thing on not that long ago following notts police and the town at night seemed *****ing awful.... and this was a regular thing...

i've visited when i was smaller (shopping i think)... i think it was quite nice
I went to Nottingham in October and I thought it was great!
Reply 129
Portsmouth. Boo.
Reply 130
Haha, Tunbridge Wells as 3rd according to that Channel 4 thing. I live just outside. It's nice. Nottingham, however - where I live during term time - is really quite horrid. Of the places I've spent a considerable amount of time in, Nottingham is the worst.
Keybolasosa
It's never Dull in 'ull!

My friend doesn't like Hull but has never been :rolleyes:
cjgbr
As I was based at Leconsfield for a while and a regular visitor to the Black Swan in Beverley and to Hull's nightlife I would say its a bit of a Hole. Just slight worse then Goole

You can't compare Hull to Goole! There's a lot going for Hull that people are blind to and remain blind to if you just judge and don't try it.

There's a lot of good clubs like Spiders and Welly, it's mega cheap and all my best friends and conincidentally they are the most decent people I know.

Sure it's bad but you know there's bad in all places, it's unavoidable.
Having lived very close to Hull for most of my life and gone to school in it, I'm afraid I don't like it. Oh yes, Spiders and Pozition are all very well and good and all the renovation and whatnot...but it's just a 'hole. It just looks run down and has a bad feel to it. That's my opinion though - I love Manchester now, and someone posted that was the worst place...
chan89
Portsmouth. Boo.

:dito: Come on you Saints :wink:

I would hesitate to say Stoke, knowing it can hardly be judged as one city, but I must say some parts of Stoke are pretty bad.

I love Nottingham though, anyone who just believes the papers is mad!
Reply 135
:smile:
coloursonthetv
You can't compare Hull to Goole! There's a lot going for Hull that people are blind to and remain blind to if you just judge and don't try it.

There's a lot of good clubs like Spiders and Welly, it's mega cheap and all my best friends and conincidentally they are the most decent people I know.

Sure it's bad but you know there's bad in all places, it's unavoidable.

We all have a right to free thinking. :smile: respect
Hmmm I don't know about worst (I wasn't there for long enough to see) but certainly the scariest and most chav infested place I have ever been to was Harlow in Essex

Bear in mind when I say this...I grew up in Belfast during the troubles and for the last year have been living in Glasgow, at times working in a bar and thus walking along through the city centre at closing time while not even slightly drunk, and yet these places compare not to either the scariness or the sheer nastiness of Harlow and hopefully you'll understand
Possilpark and Easterhouse(only some parts), outside of Glasgow, are places that I try to avoid whenever possible.
Reply 138
pinkpinkuk
:dito: Come on you Saints :wink:

:biggrin:
My worst places:
1. Sydenham/Lewisham (S. London)
2. Nottingham
3. Southampton

My best places:
1. Exeter
2. Tunbridge Wells
3. Lyme Regis