The Student Room Group

Should I Do Further Maths GCSE? (I need to make a decision by tonight) PLEASE HELP.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by jennyh1
i was allowed to refuse it, i'd already refused it once lol. and i stayed in the same class for year 10 and then moved into the further class in year 11. i guess it would make it better, but not sure what stage the fm class are at in each?

I suppose this is my only chance to do it if I want to because I won't be offered it again

Makes sense about moving classes..

There are 2 FM classes, 5 normal maths classes and one extended maths class in my school... both of the FM teaching annoy the heck out of me and I learned next to nothing when they taught me in previous years.

Thanks for your reply, I guess I'll just see what my head of year has to say and hope that he gives me a choice!
Original post by cherryvizz
x

2 questions: When you had the other teacher last year, were you still able to learn and did you still like maths? Have they already started FM, or are they starting it in Year 11? :smile:
Reply 22
UPDATE:I just went and talked to my maths head of year and he was actually really nice. He said that I would self study it at home if I wanted to do further maths and then I'd take the mock for fm in December and if I feel like I can't do the actual gcse then I can refuse to do it. Basically he was like 'give it a go over the summer and see how you feel about the subjects'.

So I don't know, I might take it and see how it goes... any suggestions?
Original post by cherryvizz
UPDATE:I just went and talked to my maths head of year and he was actually really nice. He said that I would self study it at home if I wanted to do further maths and then I'd take the mock for fm in December and if I feel like I can't do the actual gcse then I can refuse to do it. Basically he was like 'give it a go over the summer and see how you feel about the subjects'.

So I don't know, I might take it and see how it goes... any suggestions?

Stick with your current teacher and, yes, maybe look at a few topics over the summer - feeling confident is the most important thing :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest