The Student Room Group

What's a law exam like in LLB?

By that I mean the exam questions. Is it like English Lit where you have to write an essay for each question or more like Economics where there are some longish questions and some short answer questions?

Could I also have an example of a question paper or just one of the questions.
Reply 1
Usually the exam lasts for 1h30 min (1st year) and you have to do two questions out of four. This would probably depend on university as well. Depending on the exam, you may find more essay questions (where you have to discuss something) than problem-based questions. For the problem-based questions, you need to identify legal issues and basically say who is guilty of what (etc).

You can find many examples online such as:
“Judges should be given no discretion in sentencing criminals: all criminal penalties should be fixed by statute. The exercise of discretion in sentencing requires an exercise of moral judgment by the judge, and judges in a modern democracy should not be allowed to exercise moral authority over their fellow citizens.”

OR

''Philip wants to sell his house and advertises it in the local newspaper at £370,000, giving his telephone number. Jim sees the advertisement and rings Philip and makes an appointment to see the house. Jim likes the house but cannot agree a price with Philip, his highest offer being £367,000, while Philip insists on £370,000.On the following Monday Jim receives a letter from Philip offering him the house for £368,500 and saying that Jim can have until noon on Friday to think about it. On Wednesday evening Jim meets his brother Garrett in their local. Garrett tells him that Philip's son-in-law bought the house earlier that day for £367,000. Jim goes straighthome and writes a letter to Philip, accepting his offer to sell at £368,500. He posts the letter immediately and Philip receives it on Thursday morning, but replies by return saying "You are too late. I have sold the house to my son-in-law."

By the way, the problem-questions on the exam are far more longer (one page long or so).
Depends which university you go to. Ours are 3 hours long where you answer 4/10-14 questions.
Reply 3
Original post by TheDefiniteArticle
Depends which university you go to. Ours are 3 hours long where you answer 4/10-14 questions.

Of course it does. Which university you are at?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending