The Student Room Group

How did you practice for the Lnat?

Hello everyone,

How did everyone prepare for their LNAT and achieve high scores? How long did you practice for? I really want to score above average. I have some LNAT books and have purchased Arbito for my exams in four months. Honestly, I'm performing well on the LNAT practice tests, but the only thing I'm struggling with is encountering some unfamiliar words. Do you have any helpful advice?

Thank you!
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 1
Original post by ScoobyZazzy
Hello everyone,

How did everyone prepare for their LNAT and achieve high scores? How long did you practice for? I really want to score above average. I have some LNAT books and have purchased Arbito for my exams in four months. Honestly, I'm performing well on the LNAT practice tests, but the only thing I'm struggling with is encountering some unfamiliar words. Do you have any helpful advice?

Thank you!

Hi, I did the LNAT last year, and if your exam is 4 months away, I'd say you're definitely doing enough practice at the moment to do well! (probably more than enough, I got a 29 and did most of my intense practice in the month and weeks leading up to the LNAT)
For unfamiliar words, if they're in the question then flag that question and come back to it, and more broadly, you might be able to guess what specific words mean from the passage or the context around the word (e.g. if you understand what the basic premise of the sentence is, you should probably be ok without a word). If that doesn't help, then using a process of elimination for the answers should help are there should be one or two out of the five that it could be, and then its just luck as to whether you get it right or not!
If it's lots of words, then reading longer articles from a newspaper (I know some schools have Financial Times subscriptions so it might be good to look into that) might help as the writing style is similar and you'll be able to look up words you might be unsure about!
I hope this helps and good luck!
Reply 2
Original post by Emmie85
Hi, I did the LNAT last year, and if your exam is 4 months away, I'd say you're definitely doing enough practice at the moment to do well! (probably more than enough, I got a 29 and did most of my intense practice in the month and weeks leading up to the LNAT)
For unfamiliar words, if they're in the question then flag that question and come back to it, and more broadly, you might be able to guess what specific words mean from the passage or the context around the word (e.g. if you understand what the basic premise of the sentence is, you should probably be ok without a word). If that doesn't help, then using a process of elimination for the answers should help are there should be one or two out of the five that it could be, and then its just luck as to whether you get it right or not!
If it's lots of words, then reading longer articles from a newspaper (I know some schools have Financial Times subscriptions so it might be good to look into that) might help as the writing style is similar and you'll be able to look up words you might be unsure about!
I hope this helps and good luck!

HI thanks for the feedback! just wondering where did you apply to study and how many offers did you get back? :smile:
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 3
HI thanks for the feedback! just wondering where did you apply to study and how many offers did you get back? :smile:

I only ended up applying to two LNAT unis (because of a mix up with Nottingham) but I applied to Nottingham, Exeter, Leeds, KCL (for politics philosophy and law which in my opinion is incredibly cool) and Oxford. I got offers from everywhere but Oxford but I did have an interview. I'm going to Kings because I really like the course! My school recommended ideally having 3-4 LNAT unis to be safe, but that's a personal choice as to how you want to apply/ plan it out . Where are you thinking of applying?
Reply 4
Original post by Emmie85
I only ended up applying to two LNAT unis (because of a mix up with Nottingham) but I applied to Nottingham, Exeter, Leeds, KCL (for politics philosophy and law which in my opinion is incredibly cool) and Oxford. I got offers from everywhere but Oxford but I did have an interview. I'm going to Kings because I really like the course! My school recommended ideally having 3-4 LNAT unis to be safe, but that's a personal choice as to how you want to apply/ plan it out . Where are you thinking of applying?

yes! I really like the KCL PPL course too! its has all the topics I'm interested in so I'm going to apply for that. I also like the English Law and Hong Kong Law LLB (Hons) so I'm just debating on which to chose.

UCL: Bachelor of Laws (UCL) and LLB Bachelor of Laws (University of Hong Kong) LLB (Hons)
KCL: Politics, Philosophy and Law LLB (Hons)
QMUL: Global Law LLB (Hons)
University of Leeds: Law LLB (Hons)
LSE: Law (Bachelor of Laws) LLB (Hons)

I really hope I get into the UHK I like traveling and learning new languages so this would be an amazing opportunity for me :smile:

How was your PS what do you think made you stand out? did you do any extra curriculum I'm trying to do some shadowing so I can see what its like. also what did you study for A-levels? what grades did you get?

:smile: :smile: :smile:
Reply 5
yes! I really like the KCL PPL course too! its has all the topics I'm interested in so I'm going to apply for that. I also like the English Law and Hong Kong Law LLB (Hons) so I'm just debating on which to chose.

UCL: Bachelor of Laws (UCL) and LLB Bachelor of Laws (University of Hong Kong) LLB (Hons)
KCL: Politics, Philosophy and Law LLB (Hons)
QMUL: Global Law LLB (Hons)
University of Leeds: Law LLB (Hons)
LSE: Law (Bachelor of Laws) LLB (Hons)

I really hope I get into the UHK I like traveling and learning new languages so this would be an amazing opportunity for me :smile:

How was your PS what do you think made you stand out? did you do any extra curriculum I'm trying to do some shadowing so I can see what its like. also what did you study for A-levels? what grades did you get?

:smile: :smile: :smile:

I'm glad you think PPL is interesting! I'm excited to start it in a few weeks
If you want, I can send you my personal statement but I think the best thing I did was reading and mentioning slightly unconventional books and talking about things I was passionate about, you should read letters to a law student, the rule of law, eve was framed, etc. but don't mention them unless you can say something unconventional/ unique about them. In my personal statement, I talked about a bunch of niche ish things, since law encompasses everything, you can talk about anything that interests you, I went from insulin patents to the laws and systems that created the British welfare state to space law and the law of war. I know for PPL, they don't require any politics or philosophy in your personal statement, but check with the other courses if anything is required in your personal statement for the Hong Kong and global law courses.
I did the Pinsent Masons summer year 12 scheme (although I didn't end up mentioning it) and I also spent two days with a barrister, which was very interesting, but ultimately not that important to my overall statement (it was less than a sentance) and if you can't get it, don't worry because there are a lot of other things that you could mention instead
So I did the IB, and my predicted grades were 42 and 766, I ended up getting a 39 and 766 because I'm not great at coursework, and I did Higher English, History and Biology.
Reply 6
Original post by Emmie85
I'm glad you think PPL is interesting! I'm excited to start it in a few weeks
If you want, I can send you my personal statement but I think the best thing I did was reading and mentioning slightly unconventional books and talking about things I was passionate about, you should read letters to a law student, the rule of law, eve was framed, etc. but don't mention them unless you can say something unconventional/ unique about them. In my personal statement, I talked about a bunch of niche ish things, since law encompasses everything, you can talk about anything that interests you, I went from insulin patents to the laws and systems that created the British welfare state to space law and the law of war. I know for PPL, they don't require any politics or philosophy in your personal statement, but check with the other courses if anything is required in your personal statement for the Hong Kong and global law courses.
I did the Pinsent Masons summer year 12 scheme (although I didn't end up mentioning it) and I also spent two days with a barrister, which was very interesting, but ultimately not that important to my overall statement (it was less than a sentance) and if you can't get it, don't worry because there are a lot of other things that you could mention instead
So I did the IB, and my predicted grades were 42 and 766, I ended up getting a 39 and 766 because I'm not great at coursework, and I did Higher English, History and Biology.

Wow!! You did a lot; that's amazing. No wonder you got into one of the top law schools. And yes, I'd love to read your personal statement. I am currently reading 'The Rule of Law,' and so far, so good. I will definitely check out the other books you mentioned. Good luck on your first day of law school. Have fun, and let me know how it goes. :smile: :smile:
Reply 7
Wow!! You did a lot; that's amazing. No wonder you got into one of the top law schools. And yes, I'd love to read your personal statement. I am currently reading 'The Rule of Law,' and so far, so good. I will definitely check out the other books you mentioned. Good luck on your first day of law school. Have fun, and let me know how it goes. :smile: :smile:

It really didn't feel like a lot at the time, I was interested in everything I was doing so the whole process felt quite fun!
Reply 8
Original post by Emmie85
It really didn't feel like a lot at the time, I was interested in everything I was doing so the whole process felt quite fun!

Wow, lucky I'm stressing. I feel as though I'm a little behind, and the LNATs are unpredictable, something you can't really revise for other than practice, which I kinda love as it's challenging. Also, where can I see the requirements for personal statements? PS for Hong Kong? I didn't know there were requirements for personal statements; I'll have to check that out.
Reply 9
Wow, lucky I'm stressing. I feel as though I'm a little behind, and the LNATs are unpredictable, something you can't really revise for other than practice, which I kinda love as it's challenging. Also, where can I see the requirements for personal statements? PS for Hong Kong? I didn't know there were requirements for personal statements; I'll have to check that out.

I don't know if required is the right word, but they probably want you to talk a bit about why you're choosing a degree with a year abroad, but maybe check the course details or try to find someone who has applied for the course so you can ask for specific year advice as to what ucl might want, I've also just sent you my personal statement so hopefully its come through!
Reply 10
Original post by Emmie85
I don't know if required is the right word, but they probably want you to talk a bit about why you're choosing a degree with a year abroad, but maybe check the course details or try to find someone who has applied for the course so you can ask for specific year advice as to what ucl might want, I've also just sent you my personal statement so hopefully its come through!

okay thanks sm! I've messaged you back, but i'm not sure if you've received it or not. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending