The Student Room Group

Offer for MFL PGCE at Godsmiths but no GCSEs

hi everyone,

I got a conditional offer at Goldsmiths for a secondary MFL PGCE starting this September
As I'm French, I don't have the required maths and English GCSEs and my baccalaureat is not recognized as equivalent.
I've been told by Goldsmiths that I could pass the GCSEs with them before starting the course in September but they don't know how much it will cost. Looking on other independent GCSEs providers websites, it's between 150-300 pounds per subject.

I also got an offer from Greenwich university where the only condition is to obtain the IELTS score 7 ( cost 150 pounds for the test)

Although I would rather go for goldsmiths,money is tight and I could save at least 150 pounds if I accept Greenwich offer.

Did anyone have to pass their GCSEs at goldsmiths? just to know the cost
and is there a big difference on the quality of the course between Goldsmiths and Greenwich?

thanks
Reply 1
Can an organisation like NARIC not confirm that your bac is equivalent? Goldsmiths are being ridiculous...
Reply 2
thanks for your reply angelil

no they won't anyway for English as it has to be English as first language.. and I got 08/20 in maths so it falls short of the equivalent grade C... yep it's a bit ridiculous to take GCSEs having a BA in journalism in England but apparently it's a government's requirement
Reply 3
Ah, the good ole' GCSE conversation again.

To be honest I can see why they tend to require GCSEs for PGCE's. After all, if the teacher doesn't understand/know all of the rules of what they're teaching, that will definitely come across in the classroom! I was assisting in Maths the other day (long multiplication), in a year 4 class. I'd forgotten one of the rules and a student actually corrected me -- not an ideal situation. I haven't taken my skills test yet, but I'm definitely going to do a lot of studying for it. After all, it's not just knowing the answer but how you get to the answer ​that is important in teaching.

I would recommend doing the GCSEs, or if you take the Greenwich offer then at least doing some independent study to get your maths up a bit. It won't take too long (it hasn't for me), and you'll save yourself from having to do lots of work later.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Angelil
Can an organisation like NARIC not confirm that your bac is equivalent? Goldsmiths are being ridiculous...

It won't be equivalent for the English GCSE because English GCSE is English as a first language while OP did English as a foreign language. It all boils down to whatever the university admission tutor decides.

Original post by Cathrela

To be honest I can see why they tend to require GCSEs for PGCE's. After all,1. if the teacher doesn't understand/know all of the rules of what they're teaching, that will definitely come across in the classroom! I was assisting in Maths the other day (long multiplication), in a year 4 class. I'd forgotten one of the rules and a student actually corrected me -- not an ideal situation. I haven't taken my skills test yet, but I'm definitely going to do a lot of studying for it. After all, it's not just knowing the answer but how you get to the answer ​that is important in teaching.

2.I would recommend doing the GCSEs, or if you take the Greenwich offer then at least doing some independent study to get your maths up a bit. It won't take too long (it hasn't for me), and you'll save yourself from having to do lots of work later.

1. You obviously haven't read the OP. It is MFL not English or Maths. Advice is irrelevant.
2. That's overkill. The skill test is all about doing basic maths at high speed in short period of time. The GCSE Maths is not adequate preparation in my opinion.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Juichiro
It won't be equivalent for the English GCSE because English GCSE is English as a first language while OP did English as a foreign language. It all boils down to whatever the university admission tutor decides.

1. You obviously haven't read the OP. It is MFL not English or Maths. Advice is irrelevant.
2. That's overkill. The skill tests is all about doing basic maths at high speed in short period of time. The GCSE Maths is not adequate preparation in my opinion.

I concede your first point - I read the thread on my phone and must have missed that. But I entirely disagree with your second. The skills tests should not be about getting into the program or a test of your skill to complete a maths or literacy problem in a short amount of time. It ensures you actually know what you will spend a good deal of time teaching, and know the rules of how to get there.

And if your point was that GCSE is not enough to get by, then I kind of agree. That's why I mentioned independent study....
(edited 8 years ago)
I concede your first point - I read the thread on my phone and must have missed that. But I entirely disagree with your second. The skills tests should not be about getting into the program or a test of your skill to complete a maths or literacy problem in a short amount of time. 1.It ensures you actually know what you will spend a good deal of time teaching, and know the rules of how to get there.

And if your point was that GCSE is not enough to get by, then I kind of agree. That's why I mentioned independent study....

Solving a type of maths problem which you have been doing repeatedly for the last week tells you nothing other than you managed to solve that type of maths problem. It's just drilling exercises. Maybe it should be about this. I was just pointing out what it is. I highly doubt that if you tested a random sample of successful skills tests candidates 18 months later, not all of them would pass it without further revision. I think that says it all about the internal validity of these tests.

1. Again, irrelevant. OP is not doing Maths, it's MFL. He won't be put in the situation of solving 40-second mental arithmetic in his everyday life and no one will test that ability as a predictor of his ability to teach.

There are some skills that teachers should have at the beginning of their training. The ability to solve arithmetic in 50 seconds without a calculator is not one (in my opinion).

Nope, my point wasn't that GCSE is enough. My point is that GCSE Maths does not enable you to solve arithmetic in 50 seconds without a calculator. They are different things that test different skills.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 7
The OP didn't mention their maths score in their initial post, so I assumed they would have met the GCSE grade C equivalent as the maths in France tends to be of a higher standard than in the UK (and they have to carry on until they're 18!).

The English I just didn't think about, but of course they probably need a first-language GCSE in the subject. If they have a BA in journalism from a British university, though, getting this should be a walk in the park (if they will count an IGCSE - say with Cambridge International Examinations - then it will be even easier as they can obtain the entire qualification with no speaking, listening or coursework).

The maths may take a little further study, but if they took maths until they were 18 in the French system it shouldn't take too long to bring them up to code (French marking is harsh as well so 08/20 may not mean much in terms of their actual skill).
Reply 8
thanks for your replies everyone

I'm really torn 2 days left to reply to my offers..
I might accept Greenwich as I won't have spare money and time to take my GCSEs in the summer. I'm working full time.
it's a shame, apparently Goldsmiths has a better reputation

does anyone know a friend who did his PGCE at Greenwich?

do you think it would affect my job prospects after graduating?
Reply 9
This is my personal opinion.

You could just simply home study for the GCSE's for English (AQA) and Maths (Excel) - there is plenty of pass papers online simply do them, and mark them your self using the marking schemes. If you do well great! if not then study more! Use YouTube and BBC Bitewise to help! This costs you no money... at all!

But this is where it will cost money... taking the exams! I think its about £80 per subject or exam (not to sure) but you can take the exams anywhere, in any college etc. Basically you could ring up a local college and ask them how would you go about only taking the GCSE exams and how much would it cost for the submission.

Thats it! You don't need to pay for tuition if you do it your self... tbh i wish now i did this option as i'm in the same boat as you, but i've been in college for the past year and currently doing my exams, i graduated in 2014.

Edit: Your better of ringing sooner rather the later as all the colleges and that are doing the exams at the moment!
(edited 8 years ago)
Can't you defer and take up the Goldsmiths PGCE place next year to give you more time to do the GCSEs? Or is that more difficult than it sounds on paper?
Reply 11
I am going to be in the same exact position - I have a Masters in English/Education, a CAPES - but my Baccalaureat isnt enough so I'll have to resit GCSEs if Goldsmith offer me a place - I'm working in a full time job, don't know if I'll have the time to go through the hassle. What did you decide to do in the end? Also they're asking me for translations of my French degrees, did you do it as well? If so who did you use to translate them? I'm worried it's going to cost me a lot.

Many thanks for your help,

Jenny
Reply 12
hi everyone thanks again for your replies

I went for Goldsmiths finally. I'm gonna take internal GCSEs with them( around 100 pounds per subject). I take it as a challenge, will do revisions on my own( thanks sickaaron for the links). Goldsmiths are gonna send me past exam papers and syllabus to revise and I just have to sit the exams this summer.

jenny: I got UK degree so I don't have to translate it. I'm afraid they are gonna ask you to use NARIC and they charge around 100 pounds too to do it.. such a rip off but only recognized body for most unis. hope Goldsmiths offer you a place too as I've been told their PGCEs are very good.

hope that helps.
Reply 13
Thanks for your reply! I think you're doing the right thing, although to be honest I'm truly dreading GCSEs Maths!
Anyway, I'm getting way ahead of myself, haven't even gone for an interview yet! Was it very difficult? Any advice on how to go about it would be very much appreciated.

Merci!

Jenny
Reply 14
jenny, I found the one to one interview quite relaxed and informal. you can expect written tests in your 2 target languages.
you'll have to prepare a 5-10 min micro teaching activity. no big deal, just to check your confidence and presentation skills.
and a group activity discussing a teaching video.

bonne chance!
Reply 15
Original post by gwesh

I went for Goldsmiths finally. I'm gonna take internal GCSEs with them( around 100 pounds per subject). I take it as a challenge, will do revisions on my own( thanks sickaaron for the links). Goldsmiths are gonna send me past exam papers and syllabus to revise and I just have to sit the exams this summer.

jenny: I got UK degree so I don't have to translate it. I'm afraid they are gonna ask you to use NARIC and they charge around 100 pounds too to do it.. such a rip off but only recognized body for most unis. hope Goldsmiths offer you a place too as I've been told their PGCEs are very good.

hope that helps.

Hi,
I know it's an old post but i was curious on how your pgce went please.
Thanks.
Reply 16
Original post by gwesh

hope that helps.

Hi, I know this post is a bit old. I have accepted a Pgce offer with Goldsmiths and I will sit for their internal English GCSE. Any advice on it? Did you find it difficult?
Thanks!
Original post by Angelil
Goldsmiths are being ridiculous...

Goldsmiths are following the law. It is stipulated in law that all prospective trainee teachers have GCSE English and Maths as a minimum requirement.

... apparently - I was told.
Reply 18
WHAT HAS THIS TO DO WITH THIS CONVERSATION?of course if you're wanting to teach Maths you must have GCSEs in Maths and if you want to teach English in English but when it comes to teaching MFL it is purely BS that a maths GCSEs is required ON TOP of the skills tests.

To be honest I can see why they tend to require GCSEs for PGCE's. After all, if the teacher doesn't understand/know all of the rules of what they're teaching, that will definitely come across in the classroom! I was assisting in Maths the other day (long multiplication), in a year 4 class. I'd forgotten one of the rules and a student actually corrected me -- not an ideal situation. I haven't taken my skills test yet, but I'm definitely going to do a lot of studying for it. After all, it's not just knowing the answer but how you get to the answer ​that is important in teaching.

I would recommend doing the GCSEs, or if you take the Greenwich offer then at least doing some independent study to get your maths up a bit. It won't take too long (it hasn't for me), and you'll save yourself from having to do lots of work later.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending