The Student Room Group

Ocr psychology g541 model answers?

I'm really struggling on how to answer 10 mark questions in psychology so if anyone has any model answer it would be really helpful, especially for reliability and validity questions.

Thank you :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Maaaav
I'm really struggling on how to answer 10 mark questions in psychology so if anyone has any model answer it would be really helpful, especially for reliability and validity questions.

Thank you :smile:

Heya, I'm going to put this in the psychology forum for you as you should get more responses there. :smile:

You should also check out the forum to see if there's any other threads there which might be helpful to you!

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=211
Reply 2
For the 10 mark questions you need to be able to describe an appropriate procedure and then evaluate your procedure.
First the procedure- can be broken down into 5 easy categories:
-Who, so who is partaking in the study and your sampling method, note participants must be over the age of 16, eg Using volunteer sample I shall recruit 20 participants who are 20years old.
-Where, so where are you going to conduct your study, note you have to be specific if you say a school you must mention a classroom or say using the hall, eg the experiment will be conducted in Ermysted's Grammar School in the psychology classroom.
-When, when are you going to conduct the study, eg 21st May 2015 at 02:00pm
-How, so how are you going to conduct the study, so what method you are using (time sampling, event sampling, covert, overt, etc) and also how you are going to record your DV.
-What, this part is what you are measuring,so how you record your results (correlation, behaviours checklist, time sampling etc) Note that the How and What are very similar but be sure to include both.

Now to evaluate, you must find a strength and a weakness of your procedure. You do this by using PEC, Point, Explanation, Context.
-Point, A weakness of this procedure is that....
-Explanation, because.....
-Context, Now link it back to the study.
Eg. P- A weakness of this procedure is that Repeated measures design is used
E- Meaning the participants may suffer from the order effects for example the practice effect,
C- So they would have had practice on doing the (IV) and have got better as a result of this.

Hope this helps
TLloyd
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by TLloyd
For the 10 mark questions you need to be able to describe an appropriate procedure and then evaluate your procedure.
First the procedure- can be broken down into 5 easy categories:
-Who, so who is partaking in the study and your sampling method, note participants must be over the age of 16, eg Using volunteer sample I shall recruit 20 participants who are 20years old.
-Where, so where are you going to conduct your study, note you have to be specific if you say a school you must mention a classroom or say using the hall, eg the experiment will be conducted in Ermysted's Grammar School in the psychology classroom.
-When, when are you going to conduct the study, eg 21st May 2015 at 02:00pm
-How, so how are you going to conduct the study, so what method you are using (time sampling, event sampling, covert, overt, etc) and also how you are going to record your DV.
-What, this part is what you are measuring,so how you record your results (correlation, behaviours checklist, time sampling etc) Note that the How and What are very similar but be sure to include both.

Now to evaluate, you must find a strength and a weakness of your procedure. You do this by using PEC, Point, Explanation, Context.
-Point, A weakness of this procedure is that....
-Explanation, because.....
-Context, Now link it back to the study.
Eg. P- A weakness of this procedure is that Repeated measures design is used
E- Meaning the participants may suffer from the order effects for example the practice effect,
C- So they would have had practice on doing the (IV) and have got better as a result of this.

Hope this helps
TLloyd

Omg, you are a star :')
Reply 4
Your welcome just hope exam goes well :3
And Dinaa we seem to be taking the same subjects apart from I dropped maths 5wks in.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by TLloyd
Your welcome just hope exam goes well :3
And Dinaa we seem to be taking the same subjects apart from I dropped maths 5wks in.

I wishhhh I dropped psychology. Thank you :redface:

I have a question though, what if it asks:

Evaluate the reliability and validity of this research? (10marks)

:sad:
Reply 6
Original post by Dinaa
I wishhhh I dropped psychology. Thank you :redface:

I have a question though, what if it asks:

Evaluate the reliability and validity of this research? (10marks)

:sad:

Ah I love psychology
so for this 10 marker it is an evaluate question so you must use PEC. So if they want you to evaluate the validity and reliability for 10marks then you must do why it is valid and why it isn't and also why it is reliable and why it isn't.
So baisically doing PEC four times. Remember to link it back to the study for the context or you'll drop a mark each time you forget.
Reply 7
Original post by TLloyd
Ah I love psychology
so for this 10 marker it is an evaluate question so you must use PEC. So if they want you to evaluate the validity and reliability for 10marks then you must do why it is valid and why it isn't and also why it is reliable and why it isn't.
So baisically doing PEC four times. Remember to link it back to the study for the context or you'll drop a mark each time you forget.

Oh my, ok thank you :redface:
Reply 8
Original post by Dinaa
Oh my, ok thank you :redface:

does that help?
hi does any one have model answer for this question,its a 10 mark question on sampling technique

Describe and evaluate an appropriate sampling technique for this study. [10]
Reply 10
Original post by TLloyd
does that help?

It does but I struggle with points :redface:
Reply 11
Original post by Dinaa
It does but I struggle with points :redface:

The Point is that it is/isn't valid/reliable :smile:
Reply 12
Original post by TLloyd
The Point is that it is/isn't valid/reliable :smile:

Yeah exactly. Validity/reliability points or just points in general :tongue:
Original post by TLloyd
Ah I love psychology

This isn't strictly true at all, when doing a 10 marker you must look to write in this structure

- 4 marks for describing a procedure (you don't have to evaluate while writing it)
- 6 marks for two PEC paragraphs

So you describe a procedure to your best ability, but you must then evaluate two things about it using PEC, you do not have to state its valid because... its not valid because... its reliable because... its not reliable because... that would be 4 PEC paragraphs and waste of time - think about it, if each points a mark then you're getting 12 marks on four PEC paragraphs not even including the procedure when its only out of 10 marks?

Pick any two issues (good or bad) to raise about your procedure and then do a PEC for each and you should be looking at 9/10 marks.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 14
Original post by eyeman567
This isn't strictly true at all, when doing a 10 marker you must look to write in this structure

- 4 marks for describing a procedure (you don't have to evaluate while writing it)
- 6 marks for two PEC paragraphs

So you describe a procedure to your best ability, but you must then evaluate two things about it using PEC, you do not have to state its valid because... its not valid because... its reliable because... its not reliable because... that would be 4 PEC paragraphs and waste of time - think about it, if each points a mark then you're getting 12 marks on four PEC paragraphs not even including the procedure when its only out of 10 marks?

Pick any two issues (good or bad) to raise about your procedure and then do a PEC for each and you should be looking at 9/10 marks.

Sorry but you are wrong this is an evaluate question not a describe the procedure, you are evaluating the validity and reliability of a procedure
Original post by TLloyd
Sorry but you are wrong this is an evaluate question not a describe the procedure, you are evaluating the validity and reliability of a procedure

You are right, I misread the question you were replying too.

apologies.
Reply 16
hi,does anyone have a model answer or couldhelp me with this question please A researcher has become interested in studying stress associated with driving and wishes to conduct an investigation to assess stress levels of motorists in England using the self-report method.
Describe and evaluate an appropriate sampling technique for this study.
Original post by thiss1
hi,does anyone have a model answer or couldhelp me with this question please A researcher has become interested in studying stress associated with driving and wishes to conduct an investigation to assess stress levels of motorists in England using the self-report method.
Describe and evaluate an appropriate sampling technique for this study.[/QU

Are you sure it says sampling technique ?
Reply 18
[QUOTE="Curious258;55643981"]
Original post by thiss1
Describe and evaluate an appropriate sampling technique for this study.[/QU

Are you sure it says sampling technique ?

yeah it is sampling technique
[QUOTE="thiss1;55644035"]
Original post by Curious258

yeah it is sampling technique

I would say :

An appropriate sampling technique that can be implemented to assess stress levels of motorists is to use a self- selective (volunteer) sample. For example, an advert will be placed in a driving magazine ( Not sure make one up) asking males and females, who are usually commuters, aged between 20-30 to share their opinions on driving in the motorway ( then go on to talk about a self-report method such as questionnaires/interviews...)

And then mention the strengths and weakness of self-selective sampling i.e :
+ Easy to obtain participants/ can also reach a wide variety of participants ( more representative ?) - You have to make sure you relate back to the context or you won't get no marks.
- Participants selected may be bore obedient/motivated to take part in the study ( bias sample ?) and therefore may have different qualities/aspects to the general population and therefore not representative and hence we cannot generalize findings .....

How many marks is this question btw ?

Quick Reply

Latest