The Student Room Group

Will biology be a good degree?

Hi, I'm thinking of doing biology at university but I just want to know would it be worth it? career prospects? demand for biologist? I'd like a secure graduate job at the end of it (I know that going to uni doesn't guarantee that) but want to know if that would be hard to get, thanks. Oh and I'm going to start a levels soon.
Reply 1
Bump
Original post by Katniss1
Hi, I'm thinking of doing biology at university but I just want to know would it be worth it? career prospects? demand for biologist? I'd like a secure graduate job at the end of it (I know that going to uni doesn't guarantee that) but want to know if that would be hard to get, thanks. Oh and I'm going to start a levels soon.

What would you like out of it? Research? Biology teacher? Science editor/contributor? It definitely gets you a job but you need to identify if it will get you something you'd enjoy.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by TechRaid3r
What would you like out of it? Research? Biology teacher? Science editor/contributor? It definitely gets you a job but you need to identify if it will get you something you'd enjoy. Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you for answering!

I'm not sure, I've thought about the first two, I'm not greatly fond of researching (What would researching include? Have to work on a project/teamwork? Experiments? Writing up findings? Trying to find a cure for something? Create new equipment? Discover something new? I've always thought that a job like this would be hard and that if you're not successful/doing well then you'd fail and won't be able to earn anything/be sacked or whatever, I want something that's secure to be able to support myself and whatnot.

I don't mind teaching, like education and helping people (online, at school sort of) though I'm not very confident tbh and dealing with teenagers and they're behavior, I know that's an important thing but I can't work out if I would be good/bad at that. The other problem (probably the biggest) is pressure from family. They would expect something better from me, something with higher salary etc.. and I want to not care but I can't!

What does a science editor/contributor do?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Katniss1
Thank you for answering!

I'm not sure, I've thought about the first two, I'm not greatly fond of researching (What would researching include? Have to work on a project/teamwork? Experiments? Writing up findings? Trying to find a cure for something? Create new equipment? Discover something new? I've always thought that a job like this would be hard and that if you're not successful/doing well then you'd fail and won't be able to earn anything/be sacked or whatever, I want something that's secure to be able to support myself and whatnot.

I don't mind teaching, like education and helping people (online, at school sort of) though I'm not very confident tbh and dealing with teenagers and they're behavior, I know that's an important thing but I can't work out if I would be good/bad at that. The other problem (probably the biggest) is pressure from family. They would expect something better from me, something with higher salary etc.. and I want to not care but I can't!

What does a science editor/contributor do?

Research could be any kind of research, helping to find new treatments for disease, conducting experiments and making discoveries in the world of science. Its pretty hard work but some people love research because they're really particularly interested in one area and want to explore it more.

Teaching could be teaching at uni/highschool/primary school level. If you become a renowned lecturer your salary could potentially get to 6figures, but again lecturers are usually researchers or people in work that also lecture on the side etc.

A science editor/contributor is usually someone with a scientific background that contributes to news articles, TV shows etc. So for example BBC Health usually has science contributors who pull together all the science, analyse it and present the findings so that it is scientifically accurate but also understandable by the general public.

If you want to do a degree, then do something that you'd enjoy. A biology degree isn't gonna get you an amazing salary, it's not like Medicine/Dentistry where you're guaranteed an excellent job as a doctor. But if you genuinely enjoy biology, you should pursue it. Anyway wait till after your AS results before you think further it large depends on them too.

Id highly suggest researching Biomedical Engineering or Biomedical Science too. They offer a bit more I'd say.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending