The Student Room Group

Help me pick a degree course

It’s actually for my younger sister. She’s really good at biology and chemistry but also at English especially speaking/debating. She gets good grades in everything but feels less comfortable with maths and physics. She’s not sure what a levels to pick and which degree course to be aiming towards. Any ideas for a slightly unconventional pairing of being a good communicator as well as good at sciences that she could think about?
Reply 1
History - to be good at it, you need to have a scientific mindset for precise and thorough investigation, as well as a creative side to interpret sources, communicate effectively, write persuasive arguments, etc. It's probably the only subject which blends both scientific and artistic approaches to study

The best thing is to pursue what she likes, but what about English Lit, History, Chemistry and Biology as a combination? Maybe with a view to a history degree if she enjoys it, but it's a combination that would lend itself to all sorts of degrees. Law could be good, since you need good communication and also a scientific precision. Even stuff like medicine, veterinary medicine and dentistry could be on the table since you obviously need to like science but equally need to be a good communicator.
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 2
Biological Sciences,International relations,is she into politics at all.Oxford Biology has loads of essay writing.and uni offers plenty of debating opportunities.
Original post by MostlyLurking
It’s actually for my younger sister. She’s really good at biology and chemistry but also at English especially speaking/debating. She gets good grades in everything but feels less comfortable with maths and physics. She’s not sure what a levels to pick and which degree course to be aiming towards. Any ideas for a slightly unconventional pairing of being a good communicator as well as good at sciences that she could think about?

there's so many degrees out there that its hard to give a specific answer. it can be medicine, dentistry, biological sciences, natural science, molecular biology, biochemistry, pharmacology you name it. she needs to do some research and think what will I enjoy doing for the rest of my life

Quick Reply

Latest